IPA hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how far you're willing to go to confuse a drunk. For Steve the Bartender, the answer was always "All The Way."

Now I've got Kenny Loggins stuck in my head.

Sorry, but whenever I hear "All The Way..." all I can think of is this.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2O9ryz7Eik[/ame]

RIP Mike Porcaro. Awesome bass riff in there if you care to pick it out.

[Disclaimer: I'm an IPA guy myself. Probably upwards of 80% of the beer I make or buy is an IPA.]

I think there's definitely space for critique, of IPAs or anything else. The "unbalanced" complaint doesn't bother me, but I also don't agree. Opinions are great like that.

But what seems to be a recurring theme in threads like these, which drives me nuts, is that sooner or later someone makes a statement to the effect of "you're just following a trend, you don't really like X." As if the maker of the statement is the arbiter of some objective standard.

Anyhow...

You think condoms are too bitter?
I LedOL.

But what seems to be a recurring theme in threads like these, which drives me nuts, is that sooner or later someone makes a statement to the effect of "you're just following a trend, you don't really like X." As if the maker of the statement is the arbiter of some objective standard.

Almost as good as the "deal with it" or "keep your dislikes to yourself" comments.

It's because OP is German. No German likes IPA better than any German style.

IPA is America's contribution to the beer world.

I hate sweet potatoes. I don't need a club of like minded individuals to help me avoid them. I just don't buy or order them. Does that limit my choices sometimes? Yes, but I manage.

I dont like them either, so if you change your mind i will join your club. Not as a financially contributing member though.

'Murica, f**k yeh!

Just the opposite,
America's contribution to the world is lack luster, mass produced beer -IE: BMC.

The other contribution is the wonderful marketing campaign that made 'Mericans believe that this lack luster lager is the "king of beers", and drinking anything else is unAmerican!

I thought I didn't like IPAs until a couple of years ago when I finally got my hands on an English style. Still plenty of hops but WAY different flavor. American IPAs aren't all that much more bitter to me but I don't like that evergreen and citrus combination that seems to be prevalent. I brewed an English IPA last summer with Perle, Fuggles, and KG and it's definitely in the rotation to make again soon.

Just the opposite,
America's contribution to the world is lack luster, mass produced beer -IE: BMC.

The other contribution is the wonderful marketing campaign that made 'Mericans believe that this lack luster lager is the "king of beers", and drinking anything else is unAmerican!

German immigrants introduced the pale lager to America.

I agree there are too many unbalanced ones with far too many hops. I like hops as much as the next guy, but if I wanted 5000IBUs I'd just start dipping hop pellets like Skoal :cross:

I do like the simplicity of IPAs that showcase the different hops. I consider drinking them research for my brewing ;)

Just the opposite,

Dont forget steam beer.....

Every country has mass produced lacklustre beer, so in that sense america aint to special. In new zealand we have std beer as our equivalent. BMC is under the premium and imported beer sections.........

i agree that a lot of the commercial ipa's are over the top with hops. i prefer a .75/1 ibu/og ratio these days for most beers. next brewing season i am going to fine tune my lower ibu blending techniques. it makes for a more quaffable brew in my opinion. not that i don't like my big beers, but its easy to ruin your weekend with a bunch of imperials on friday night. been there, done that, will do it again.

i like less aggressive IPAs. if it takes me an hour to choke down 1 brew because of the bitterness, i'll pass. i like balanced overall, but i can go with a hoppier style too, just not everyday. I know it isn't an IPA, but i think Sweetwater 420 is close to the top end of bittered/hoppy beers i can drink several of at a time. maybe i wear lace on my panties, but i know what i like... ;)

Man I wish there was a way that I could enjoy any style of beer I wanted whenever I wanted without having to rely on the store to supply it for me.

Like if I wanted a stout, how could I enjoy a stout if I can't find one at the store?

Hold on.. I have an idea. What if I were to research how breweries make beer and then took that process and applied it at a size appropriate for HOME use?

I could call it, HomeBrewing (pretty snazzy, don'tcha think?)

I bet this would work. I'm going to get online right now and see if there any information out there, maybe a website dedicated to teaching me how to make my own beer so I don't have to rely on the store to provide me with what I want to drink!
are you floccing crazy, man?!? this would never catch on! it certainly hasn't been "Family Tradition Since Prohibition" for the Klubb gene pool. what kind of social degenerate would want to create something they enjoy and enjoy doing it themselves? as I've been told before by smart mouthy butthole face kitties, "There's these places call 'stores' that actually sell beer that's already been made for you." besides, you can't get any better than Budweiser. they are the king of beers. says so right on the fancy bow tie vortex color changing can. it's brewed the hard way with beechwood control tower rooms and barley traffic controllers. how dare you even think about wanting to do something on your own that could bring any aspect of diversity to your own personal taste?!? I got my eyes on you... I'm always watching... always.:pipe:

I hate this, I hate that, boo frick'n hoo hoo. Beer is good, some are great, & people are crazy

hate.jpg

i think the OP has abandoned this thread.

or, perhaps, he has just retreated to a secret underground bunker, where he can lead his new group of IPA haters without risk of capture...

a Fuhrerbunker, if you will.....

No wonder IPAs constitute 50% of the shelves. The IPA bigots bully everyone who dares think differently.

I love a good IPA, its what got me into homebrewing. But I would much rather have a dark, heavy stout. Oatmeal especially. But, there's nothing like a nice hippy IPA on a 110 degree day out on the boat. Different beers are for different situations and different days

Back