Inappropriately named brews...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TV show on TNT called Claws set in Sarasota, FL with a character named Uncle Daddy

Played by Dean Norris

An amazing small-town brewery around here had a dust up a few years ago - they released a Maibock called The Twins, with the tagline "grab a hold of a pair", then did some release event at a strip club. There may or may not have been a risque label. This obviously went a little over the top and there was some backlash, so they walked it back. Their remorse was genuine and responded by making a pils and calling it Pant Antler to include the males in part of the fun. After all, we're all just meat sacks; might as well have a sense of humor about it.

I was involved in a competition last year where you were given a random ingredient and had one hour to formulate a recipe with it and brew it.. called "Iron brewer". I was given cumin. So the only obvious choice was "Don't cumin me, baby". It was a wit with dried orange peel and then strictly cumin in place of the spices.

That's all I got.

How did the beer turn out?

They decided to create a shopper's card that would be swiped at the register for deals, cents-off, things like that.

Name? The "Dick's Insider" card.

We had a female pastor at the time. She thought it was hilarious.

When my cider apple trees start producing, I was going to name the beverage:

Dixon's Cider

Think the Feds will let that though label approval?

Of course I was going to have some sub-brands:
Harry Dixon's Cider
Tom Thicke Dixon's Cider
Dry Dixon's Cider
Wet Dixon's Cider.....

It turned out awesome to be honest. It scored bad because they said it tasted too good and the cumin didn't stand out. But it was the perfect balance of spices and orange peel for a wit.
Thought you were going to say, "it finished a little sweet because they pulled it out a little early from the fermenter. But overall had a great mouth-feel"

I made “Tripel Nipple” once with a photoshopped label.

Most of my others are just puns and not too dirty - did a German wit once with a picture of al old geezer in a Prussian helmet - called it “Herr Ball” after a friend with that last name.

There were meetings that took place to figure out what the card should be called, and other choices were turned down.

We have a sporting goods store chain around here called Dick's. Last week my son & I went for something.
Him: This place is big!
Me: So basically your saying...
Him: Please don't say it!

I don't think I've named any beers too inappropriate....yet.

They also have a web site dicks.com. Don't try to look it up at work. I got in trouble with our IT dept.

Also not a beer, but it is a bar so that's close...
EXs7Anv.jpg

They also have a web site dicks.com. Don't try to look it up at work. I got in trouble with our IT dept.

Apocryphal story:

When e-mail filters were new, a law firm installed one. Unfortunately, it filtered every email to, from, or cc the managing partner, whose first name was Richard, but went by Dick.

I was involved in a competition last year where you were given a random ingredient and had one hour to formulate a recipe with it and brew it.. called "Iron brewer". I was given cumin. So the only obvious choice was "Don't cumin me, baby". It was a wit with dried orange peel and then strictly cumin in place of the spices.

Great story. Glad the beer turned out well, but frankly I'm a bit surprised.
I love cumin and put a healthy dose in my chili, but never would have considered it for a beer ingredient.
Would you be willing to post the recipe? I'm always experimenting.

I brewed a chocolate sweet stout and named it Chocolate Cream Cannon at the request of the guy I brewed it for... I also have my annual summer brew "Kiss Yer Sister Georgia Pilsner"

Back