Did you ever think about adding this type of sugar???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekNarrowPaths

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While making my recent wort for a hefeweisen batch I noticed that I had a large bag of carrots in my fridge that weren't going to last for very much longer. So guess what I did...... that's right I threw in a carrot to my boil. Just one. Didn't go crazy.
The natural sugars that a carrot contain are actually ideal for brewing most types of beer. Additionally they are fairly neutral when it comes to pH manipulation.
The end result was velvet mouthfeel and a slight variance in overall color.
So next time you feel randy and want to experiment, go on and throw a carrot in there!

Interesting idea. I won't be trying it as I don't like carrots or vegetal flavors in finished beer, and I don't think they'll add much more than a gram or two of sugar each. But you do you.

Sugar is sugar at the end of the day. What matters more is the stuff that comes with source of sugar used.
Bugs Bunny Yes GIF by Looney Tunes

As fate would have it, I actually reduced the liquid from two quarts of home canned carrots and added it to a regular lager for a gimmick brew earlier this month.

It certainly added a something to it, without being apparent by itself.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long, as we grow a couple hundred pounds of carrots a year in the garden.

As fate would have it, I actually reduced the liquid from two quarts of home canned carrots and added it to a regular lager for a gimmick brew earlier this month.

It certainly added a something to it, without being apparent by itself.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long, as we grow a couple hundred pounds of carrots a year in the garden.
Sometimes the ideas are right under our nose and it takes us so long to click.
Tragic or ironic? We'll never know.😂
You gotta let me know your end result, bud.

Latest posts

Back