Hop sock that hangs above the kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I didn't sleep much last night, so forgive me for the title of this thread.

I've seen in various pictures on this site where people use a piece of gear that basically looks like a paint strainer bag attached to 4 metal rods that hangs above their kettle for hop additions.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of IIPA this past weekend and ended up with almost a gallon of hop sludge in one of my fermentors. Normally I'd pour my finished wort through a strainer bag going into the fermentor to eliminate this but it was getting late and I was trying to finish up before the sun went down, so I rushed it and just poured everything in.

I'm thinking in the future it would be much easier to use the device I'm thinking of, especially for bigger batches, but I have no idea what it's called, so I don't know what to search for so I can buy/build it. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the WIKI on that project. I think the actual thread is in the DIY section and titled Lil Sparky is the man or something to that effect.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hop_Filter

I'm planning on using something like this as well since I'll have a bottom drain BK in the new rig.

There are also a number of threads discussion hop utilization and if this method prevents hops from being fully utilized during the boil.

Good luck. :mug:

here's my hop filter! works great! I used 3 arms and supports fine.

0726002307.jpg

I saw something else interesting in the Lil Sparky thread about putting a paint strainer over your immersion chiller, then siphoning from inside the bag. That actually sounds like a better solution to me. Your hops can float freely in the boil so you get full utilization, but you don't get any any sludge in the fermentor.

I saw something else interesting in the Lil Sparky thread about putting a paint strainer over your immersion chiller, then siphoning from inside the bag. That actually sounds like a better solution to me. Your hops can float freely in the boil so you get full utilization, but you don't get any any sludge in the fermentor.

Just this morning I saw a thread revived from 2007 regarding IC or CFC and the benefits of each. I just looked in 4 different places and didn't find it, sorry. BierMuncher posted that technique in that thread, with a picture, maybe he commented with the same thing in the Lil Sparky thread. It's the first I had seen it, however that's not saying much. Looked pretty slick. I won't be able to use it in the bottom drain I'm going to, but I should consider it until I get the build done.

Back