Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can somebody please provide me with the dimensions of the grain basket?

I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Thanks

I use reflectix- double wrap with pipe insulation underneath to add an airspace (improves insulating properties) and it works very well. This Saturday I will be brewing with my brothers in the ones unheated garage, temps will be in the 40s. I can report back. If it fails to boil, and I'd be surprised, I will use lid and if still trouble move it indoors.

Can you explain how you are using the pipe insulation? Or do you have picture? I had read on the Reflectix page that it works better with an airspace, so the concept makes sense to me... just not sure how you rigged it up.

has anyone done a kettle sour with the GF yet? any advice cleaning sanitary measures once done?

Can you explain how you are using the pipe insulation? Or do you have picture? I had read on the Reflectix page that it works better with an airspace, so the concept makes sense to me... just not sure how you rigged it up.

I can post pics tonight, but here's what I did:

I cut pipe insulation in half lengthwise, then cut it to length to have it wrap around the GF w/o an overlap. At the butt ends I taped it onto itself with electric tape (I did not tape it to the GF). I placed 3 of these wraps on the GF at the top, bottom and middle. They surprisingly held nicely in place, almost like Velcro! I then created a wrap of Reflectix with about 8" overlap, cut out to closely fit around the STC and slits for the attachments of the discharge pipe to the GF. I cut a small X for where the probe resides (just push probe thru) and a small U for the cord. I attached the Reflectix onto itself with command strips of Velcro. I then made another wrap, but this time I staggered by about 10-12" where the 2nd layer would end so that it wasn't in line with the first wrap. Again I held together with the command strips. It was rather simple, just have to measure well. I also used the larger roll (24") instead of the 16" roll as I wanted it go from the bottom by the black base to the very top- not sure it was needed but I like it and it works. What I also liked was the pipe insulation closes the space at the top and the bottom, not to mention the Reflectix is rated up to 180 F and I figured at full boil the single wall GF would be hotter than that. So there you go, a safety feature even! I keep thinking I like that I can take it off without issue, but haven't done that yet, so I may decide to tape the joints with the silver foil back tape used on flue pipes.

I can post pics tonight, but here's what I did:

I cut pipe insulation in half lengthwise, then cut it to length to have it wrap around the GF w/o an overlap. At the butt ends I taped it onto itself with electric tape (I did not tape it to the GF). I placed 3 of these wraps on the GF at the top, bottom and middle. They surprisingly held nicely in place, almost like Velcro! I then created a wrap of Reflectix with about 8" overlap, cut out to closely fit around the STC and slits for the attachments of the discharge pipe to the GF. I cut a small X for where the probe resides (just push probe thru) and a small U for the cord. I attached the Reflectix onto itself with command strips of Velcro. I then made another wrap, but this time I staggered by about 10-12" where the 2nd layer would end so that it wasn't in line with the first wrap. Again I held together with the command strips. It was rather simple, just have to measure well. I also used the larger roll (24") instead of the 16" roll as I wanted it go from the bottom by the black base to the very top- not sure it was needed but I like it and it works. What I also liked was the pipe insulation closes the space at the top and the bottom, not to mention the Reflectix is rated up to 180 F and I figured at full boil the single wall GF would be hotter than that. So there you go, a safety feature even! I keep thinking I like that I can take it off without issue, but haven't done that yet, so I may decide to tape the joints with the silver foil back tape used on flue pipes.

Thanks Kampenken... look forward to the pics to solidify things.

Do you guys know any tips (or list on a website somewhere) for increasing efficiency?
I had 65% the first time I used my GF,

As a reference, here is my process up to the boil:
2.75gal batch
  • Adjust the gap of my grain crusher as wide as a credit card
  • Use the Grainfather water calculator for small batches
  • Set the striking water temp at 160
  • Slowly poured the grain (5 minutes), making sure I was mixing it enough
  • Press the top filter so it compress the grains just a little
  • Set the mash temp at 153 (so it stays around 152)
  • Mash for 60min, recirculated well
  • Lift the basket, set the GF to boil, press on the top filter so it compress the grains just a little
  • Slowly sparge with 0,80gal of water at 165, took 10 min, with a Pyrex cup. The water pretty much goes right through for the first 0,60gal
  • Let drain for about 20 minutes
  • Boiled for 60min

I hit my 2,75 gal pretty close, was at about 2,70. So my OG should be higher... It was 0.007 under...

My ideas for next brew:
Do a 75min mash, 90min boil
Compress a little more on the top filter? (afraid of creating a stuck mash...)
Higher sparge temp and/or change method?

Thanks for your ideas!

Hello, I am brand new to this forum and homebrewing. I recently purchased the grainfather and noticed some big scratches inside. My main concern is that I do not want to contaminate any batches. From what I read this isn't an issue due to the boiling process. Should I be worried and return it? Or am I just stressing for no reason?

Thank you

View attachment 1459893237908.jpg

If it is not water tight compromised, I would be annoyed but not concerned. Anything that might get in the scratch will die when the wort is boiled.

Revamped HLT: already using an old 10 gal Polarware pot from my other brewery. Added a temp controller and wrapped it in reflectix. Fashioned a waterproof thermowell out of extra icemaker line for the probe. (Not really necessary, just having fun.) Doing a test right now.

I've been wanting that exact HLT setup. What controller is that? I don't recognize it.

Hello, I am brand new to this forum and homebrewing. I recently purchased the grainfather and noticed some big scratches inside. My main concern is that I do not want to contaminate any batches. From what I read this isn't an issue due to the boiling process. Should I be worried and return it? Or am I just stressing for no reason?

Thank you

That looks like more than a scratch. I would notify the seller and see what they say. If it were me, I'd return it.

I've been wanting that exact HLT setup. What controller is that? I don't recognize it.

$25 from Amazon!

Willhi Wh1436 Ac 110v - 240v Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Control Switch Unit 1 Relay Output with Sensor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4TJR00/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've got one for my lagering freezer too. Works great. I wasn't able to build my STC-1000 that cheaply. It's not a dual stage, however. Single stage with heating and cooling modes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you

I had scratches on the grain basket part but nothing like that. Did you buy online or local? The sales rep has still not responded to my LHBS about my claim. They emailed them in December to see if they would replace it. Good luck.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459903152.259044.jpg

Do you guys know any tips (or list on a website somewhere) for increasing efficiency?
I had 65% the first time I used my GF,

As a reference, here is my process up to the boil:
2.75gal batch
  • Adjust the gap of my grain crusher as wide as a credit card
  • Use the Grainfather water calculator for small batches
  • Set the striking water temp at 160
  • Slowly poured the grain (5 minutes), making sure I was mixing it enough
  • Press the top filter so it compress the grains just a little
  • Set the mash temp at 153 (so it stays around 152)
  • Mash for 60min, recirculated well
  • Lift the basket, set the GF to boil, press on the top filter so it compress the grains just a little
  • Slowly sparge with 0,80gal of water at 165, took 10 min, with a Pyrex cup. The water pretty much goes right through for the first 0,60gal
  • Let drain for about 20 minutes
  • Boiled for 60min

I hit my 2,75 gal pretty close, was at about 2,70. So my OG should be higher... It was 0.007 under...

My ideas for next brew:
Do a 75min mash, 90min boil
Compress a little more on the top filter? (afraid of creating a stuck mash...)
Higher sparge temp and/or change method?

Thanks for your ideas!

Sounds like your crush is a little course. I have my mill set at .26 and it usually takes me 30-40 minutes to sparge. One time I had to finish draining the grain basket into another pot because I was near boil and not done sparging. The other 2 times I was over 200 degrees before I finished sparging. All 3 batches have been right at 80% efficiency.

If you are sparging that fast I would guess it's all because your crush is too course which will hurt your mash efficiency, and you may also be leaving some sugar in your grain because your sparge is so fast.

Sorry forgot last night, ended up bottling 2.5 cases of a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone last night, happy to get the extra as the hydro sample tasted very good! Another solid GF brew, even if the water calc for me is off (6g into fermenter, target was 5.5). At any rate, I have put a reminder on my phone to take pics.

I've been using the Grainfather's calculators for my mash and sparge water. Curious, when it is asking for your batch size what is the target? Fermenter or kettle?

I've been using the Grainfather's calculators for my mash and sparge water. Curious, when it is asking for your batch size what is the target? Fermenter or kettle?

I based it on my recipe batch size. I do all mine at 6 gallons, transfer 5.5 gallon to the fermenter and have 5 gallons to the keg.

I based it on my recipe batch size. I do all mine at 6 gallons, transfer 5.5 gallon to the fermenter and have 5 gallons to the keg.

Interesting. I figured they accounted for the trub loss and equipment losses in their calculators. So you're doing 1/2 gallon in trub/equip losses?

Interesting. I figured they accounted for the trub loss and equipment losses in their calculators. So you're doing 1/2 gallon in trub/equip losses?

Yes, but I've only done 2 batches on the grainfather so I still need to dial it in a bit. The 6-5.5-5 system works well for my propane brewing though.

Where can I buy replacement parts? I 'lost' my entire mash/grain basket. Including the piping and screens.

I took pics but what a pita to post here! It will be one at a time. Pic 1 is GF all ready to go

Pic 2 next post!

image.jpg

Pic 3- top detail of the upper pipe insulation that creates air space. Electrical tape holds pipe butt ends together

image.jpg

Pic 4- bottom detail of lower insulation, cord cutouts and to right where the temp probe goes. I didn't take this all apart as this should provide enough detail I hope, and it's really snug around the controller. Probably will put on foil tape on the outer seam for a more finished look.
And I also have one wrap of insulation in the middle (just below the controller)

image.jpg

I had 65% the first time I used my GF,...!
I agree with previous comment that your crush was too coarse. Also small batches can be tricky with GF.

Thank you
I'd return it. If it was the basket maybe they send a replacement. Good luck in what you choose to do.

Fermenter. I have issues with their calcs and am dialing it in. And there's zero consideration for boil time, which I can't understand.

This should be good.
Ditto, looking forward to this one!

Fermenter. I have issues with their calcs and am dialing it in. And there's zero consideration for boil time, which I can't understand.

Well, let's see what happens. I assume batch size was for the kettle on this go around. I always just set my boil volume to 1gal/hr boiloff rate. I'll add water if I need to... they need some work with their calculators.

Kampenken, Thanks for the pics....Looks simple enough and effective.

Let me know how your garage brew session goes this weekend, and I'll sit here waiting for my GF to arrive!

It took me some trial and error (a couple 2 hour boils to reach the FGs I wanted) but I finally figured out how to get my numbers right. In Brewers Friend software im targeting 6.0gallons final kettle volume, and inputting 5.5gallons into the grainfather calculator.

Back