Grainfather G30 Sight Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW944

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a secondhand Grainfather G30 and did my first brew with it on Sunday. One issue that I had was while I had the grain basket lifted and I was sparging to my boil volume, I could not see the volume marks on the inside of the vessel to see when I’d hit my volume. I had to keep lifting out the basket and set it aside in a bucket to be able to check the level. Has anyone modified their Grainfather to include a sight glass? I could only think that it doesn’t include one because the fitting on the inside would interfere with the grain basket. Wondering if you could mount it low enough to where the fitting would be below where the basket sits. I’m also fairly apprehensive about drilling a hole in the side of my Grainfather because if it doesn’t work I’ve pretty much just ruined it. I tried looking up some YouTube videos of it and didn’t find any, so that tells me it probably isn’t done. Has anyone done this? Does it work?

Last edited:
Not a grainfather but I marked my recirculation hose with zip ties to measure my volumes.
IMG_3541.png
IMG_3541.png

If you build your recipe in the Grainfather app, it gives you volumes for mash and sparge water below the recipe. I just heat as much sparge water as it recommends and use it. No need to read the markings when the pipe is elevated.

Same for me, volumes have been consistently correct.
Their estimate almost always works out fine and to some combo that ends up at 7gal total for a 5 gal batch. Something around 4 gal for mash and 3 for sparge. Only time I ever back off a bit is if I'm brewing something that has less than a 10lb grain bill. I've ended up a bit thin on the OG a couple of times and had to add DME.

Back