FOTHB VI: Fellowship of the Homebrew 6: Let Doug and Mark Get Their Own From Now On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just kegged two brews for the trade, they are carbing so probably a 1 week wait or so... I have to admit I'm quite excited about one in particular :)

Screenshot (1).png

And here it is: imasickboy will pick #12.

Pick order:

1. Scturo 8:00 pm EST
2. RevKev 8:05
3. madscientistbrewNq 8:10
4. Blackdirt_cowboy 8:15
5. jason613 8:20
6. imasickboy or GaBrewZoo 8:25
7. PianoMan 8:30
8. fourfarthing 8:35
9. Jerbrew 8:40
10. TBC 8:45
11. TwistedGray 8:50
12. GaBrewZoo or imasickboy 8:55
13. Leave for work 9:00

Alright, here we go. Waiting on two offers, will update when I get them, but here are the offer so far:

GaBrewZoo Offer:

Black Saison- 7.2%- Black Saison brewed with 2# Orange Blossom Honey and aged on Red Wine soaked Oak Chips. Brewed in April. Just tasted and the honey is starting to come through with the wine and oak really shining. Tastes really good, just how I imagined it.
NEIPA- 7.5%- Brewed with malted Oats and Oat Milk. Apollo, Amarillo, Warrior, Citra Hops, 12 ounces in 5 gallons.
Octoberfest- 6.3%- Warm fermented with lager yeast.
Hefeweizen- 5.2%- Lots of banana and clove.
Weizenbock- 6.0%- Going for a Vitus type beer. Turned out good.
Saison Cider- 6.2%- 80% apple cider, 20% Cherry juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and fermented with saison yeast. Carbonated.

American Nut Brown - Drink warmer or drink slow; as it warms up the nuttiness comes through.
Tamarindo Stout - Drink warmer or drink slow; as it warms up the tamarindo punches you in the face (low roast).
Pale Ale - Whole cone Cascade and Citra throughout boil and dry hopped on Cashmere (low IBU but enough hops to make it interesting).
Thai Cream Ale - Basic cream ale with a pinch of lactose and Thai tea leaves primarily for color.
Indian Pale Ale - Low IBU, decent malt, and a sweet overtone.
Blackberry Cider - Blackberries from my yard, cider from the store.
*If I can get carbonation under control, I will include a 16 month sour.*
*If I have time I may also include a mocha milk stout, it's a coin flip whether or not I'll get to this in time.*

Brett Saison - about 6.5% - Traditional Saison pitched with 2/3 saisonstein yeast and 1/3 wlp farmhouse. 100% Ella hopped.
Grisette - 4% - Wheat beer with 100% Azacca hops.
Both of these were big hits at a local farmhouse festival. Brewers liked the Brett. Attendees liked the Grisette.
ESB - Common Room recipe from HBT with all EKG hops. Bottling next weekend.
German Pils - Loosely based on Sam Adams Noble Pils.
Witbier - Based on an Allagash White Clone. Came out a bit overspiced.

There may be others.

Blueberry Pomegranate Gose - 4.5%
Dark Chocolate/Coconut Imperial Stout - 9.2%
(4 months old)
6Row Pale Ale - 6% All 6-Row, Cascade, and Saaz Hops
Hazy Hoppy Cider - 5% - Basic Cider Fermented with London Fog Yeast and GMC Hopped.
Blueberry Farmhouse - 6% (1 year old)

Mosaic SMaSH 6.2% Maris Otter, .5oz 60 min, .5oz 15 min, 3oz whirlpool, 1-2 oz cryohops for dry hop. US-05
Saffron Belgian Tripel 10% Belgian Tripel racked on 2 grams of saffron threads. Fermented with WLP Abbey Ale
Belgian Quad 11% Fermented with WLP Abbey Ale
Hard Cider. ABV? 5.5 gal cider, 4lb sugar, fermented with WLP 616 Funky Cider Blend
Hard Lemon Iced Tea Based on Drunken Emu's Mississippi River Water Recipe on HBT
Peach Bellini Wine

Peach-ish Berliner Weisse - 4% Brewed with Wyeast Berliner Weisse 3191. Very little hops brewed on the side. Added peaches at day 2 fermentation. I didn't carb but later threw a couple of carb tablets into a few bottles. You will get a carbed version which seems better. Happy with this first attempt.
No Boil Porter - 5% Grains added at 120F and heated to 180F then started cooling. Hops boiled on the side. Safale - 04 used. It's about 2 months kegged and starting to come around.
No Boil "Exquisite" Hefeweizen - 5.5% Another no heat up brew. Boiled hops on the side. Added DME Wheat and Golden to room temp RO water, with some gypsum and Calcium Cloride. White Labs 300 Hefe yeast used. Afro_lou gave it it's name.
Peach Melomel - 11% 5lbs honey, 1.75 gallons RO, peaches and EC1118 Champagne Yeast used. 100% Fermentation so brewed another batch with D47 and blended. It's a bit carbed and little peach but happpy with 1st results.
Blackberry Hard Lemonade - 5.8% My usual hard lemonade with fresh blackberries and a bit of extract. It's aging very well.
SoCo Homebrew Soured 512 Pecan Porter - 7% This was just discomered on 10-16. The LHBS dudes made a couple of batches of Austin's own 512 Pecan Porter. One batch had gotten soured. It was surprisingly really really good, think Jester King. They filled a 12oz bottle for me... actually for YOU!

Got a couple of "on deck" brews which you may get if all turns out well.

Kolsch - 5.8% 3 SRM 30IBU Refreshing lawnmower beer. Brewed in late August.
Octoberfest- 4.8% 11 SRM 21 IBU This one didn't attenuate as well as I had hoped. FG was 1.020, but it's not too sweet. Easy drinker with toasty malt notes on the finish. Brewed in August and lagered until now.
Rauchbier Eiche - 9% 15 SRM 35 IBU This is my take on Schenkerla's smoked dopplebock. Made with home smoked Munich malt smoked with post oak wood. Smoky, malty, and hoppy. Brewed in February and lagered until now.
Milk Stout - 5.1% 21 SRM 32 IBU This one is based off the 1936 version of the English milk stout, Mackeson. I'm carbing it up now, so no tasting notes. The FG sample tasted really good though. I'm excited for this one. Brewed late September, so may need some aging.

Slow Ride Clone - Session IPA
Oud Bruin - Flanders Red Ale
60 Schilling Smoky Scotch Ale
Hoppy Wheat Pale Ale, I call it Gumball Thoughts

Also a bag of spent grain dog treats!

I'll preface this by saying these are all underway. Closest to being finished is the cream ale which is cold crashing. I may take a month to ship but I likely will have a farmhouse ready by then too.
El Dorado Dry Hopped Cream Ale
76.1% Pilsen Malt
11.1% Flaked Maize
11.1% Flaked Rice
1.7% C60
US-05

2 SRM
10.8 IBU
TBD ABV
1.054 OG

Rye Barrel Aged Vanilla Imperial Stout
73.9% MO
3.2% White Wheat
3.2% Flaked Wheat
3.2% Special B
3.2% Chocolate Malt
3.2% Carafa III
3.2% C60
2.4% Aromatic Malt
2.4% Roasted Barley
1.8% Black Patent Malt
0.8% Black Barley
US-05

65 SRM
87.5 IBU
TBD ABV
1.113 OG

Classic Pils (my first lager)
97.3% Pilsen Malt
1.4% Melanoiden Malt
1.4% Carapils
W34/70

1 SRM
25 IBU
TBD ABV
1.047 OG

Wee Heavy - 9% Aged on Apple Brandy soaked Oak chips.
Vanilla Coffee Cream Ale - 5% Coffee procured from Heart Roasters - Ethiopia Gedeb beans.
Belgian Dark Ale - 11% West 12 clone mod.
Passion fruit Petit Saison Brett 4.5% prior to Brett. 4 grain saison fermented with a Belgian strain conditioned over Brett C and Passion fruit. Well attenuated prior to Brett i.e. 1.004. I still need to carb but definitely unique.

Brews coming soon and likely to make an appearance- RIS aged in a JD barrel (if permitted, collab brew/blend (5 homebrewers brought their fermented RIS under certain guidelines) secondary to it being a 50 gallon barrel. Sorry I do not brew on a 50 gallon system...) and a Huell Melon Helles Lager.

"I Love a Burning A$$hole in the Morning"- 5.7% Mexican Cake-type stout. Cinnamon, chocolate, three pepper medley.
"1492" - 5.7% American Stout. Lots of Columbus hops.
"Fall Down Ale 012" - ABV TBD (expected 10%) American Barleywine. 12th annual collaborative barleywine.
"Beer" - 3.5% Belgian Table Beer. Partigyle of the above barleywine. Abbey Yeast.
"Because My Mama Saaz So" - ABV TBD (expected 4.7%) Altbier. All Saaz...duh.

Extras TBD, but will all be homemade.

Last edited:
5C5EA50D-74EF-49B3-BB1B-4AD7429A6742.jpeg
All the offers sound great. Racking the hard tea onto potassium sorbate to kill yeast before I back sweeten with lemonade concentrate

Alright, here we go. Waiting on two offers, will update when I get them, but here are the offer so far:

GaBrewZoo Offer:

Black Saison- 7.2%- Black Saison brewed with 2# Orange Blossom Honey and aged on Red Wine soaked Oak Chips. Brewed in April. Just tasted and the honey is starting to come through with the wine and oak really shining. Tastes really good, just how I imagined it.
NEIPA- 7.5%- Brewed with malted Oats and Oat Milk. Apollo, Amarillo, Warrior, Citra Hops, 12 ounces in 5 gallons.
Saison Cider- 6.2%- 80% apple cider, 20% Cherry juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and fermented with saison yeast. Carbonated.

American Nut Brown - Drink warmer or drink slow; as it warms up the nuttiness comes through.
Tamarindo Stout - Drink warmer or drink slow; as it warms up the tamarindo punches you in the face (low roast).
Pale Ale - Whole cone Cascade and Citra throughout boil and dry hopped on Cashmere (low IBU but enough hops to make it interesting).
Thai Cream Ale - Basic cream ale with a pinch of lactose and Thai tea leaves primarily for color.
Indian Pale Ale - Low IBU, decengt malt, and a sweet overtone.
*If I have time I may also include a mocha milk stout, it's a coin flip whether or not I'll get to this in time.*

Brett Saison - about 6.5% - Traditional Saison pitched with 2/3 saisonstein yeast and 1/3 wlp farmhouse. 100% Ella hopped.
Both of these were big hits at a local farmhouse festival. Brewers liked the Brett. Attendees liked the Grisette.

There may be others.

Dark Chocolate/Coconut Imperial Stout - 9.2%
(4 months old)
Hazy Hoppy Cider - 5% - Basic Cider Fermented with London Fog Yeast and GMC Hopped.

Mosaic SMaSH 6.2% Maris Otter, .5oz 60 min, .5oz 15 min, 3oz whirlpool, 1-2 oz cryohops for dry hop. US-05
Saffron Belgian Tripel 10% Belgian Tripel racked on 2 grams of saffron threads. Fermented with WLP Abbey Ale
Hard Cider. ABV? 5.5 gal cider, 4lb sugar, fermented with WLP 616 Funky Cider Blend
Hard Lemon Iced Tea Based on Drunken Emu's Mississippi River Water Recipe on HBT
Peach Bellini Wine

Peach-ish Berliner Weisse - 4% Brewed with Wyeast Berliner Weisse 3191. Very little hops brewed on the side. Added peaches at day 2 fermentation. I didn't carb but later threw a couple of carb tablets into a few bottles. You will get a carbed version which seems better. Happy with this first attempt.
No Boil Porter - 5% Grains added at 120F and heated to 180F then started cooling. Hops boiled on the side. Safale - 04 used. It's about 2 months kegged and starting to come around.
No Boil "Exquisite" Hefeweizen - 5.5% Another no heat up brew. Boiled hops on the side. Added DME Wheat and Golden to room temp RO water, with some gypsum and Calcium Cloride. White Labs 300 Hefe yeast used. Afro_lou gave it it's name.
Peach Melomel - 11% 5lbs honey, 1.75 gallons RO, peaches and EC1118 Champagne Yeast used. 100% Fermentation so brewed another batch with D47 and blended. It's a bit carbed and little peach but happpy with 1st results.
Blackberry Hard Lemonade - 5.8% My usual hard lemonade with fresh blackberries and a bit of extract. It's aging very well.
SoCo Homebrew Soured 512 Pecan Porter - 7% This was just discomered on 10-16. The LHBS dudes made a couple of batches of Austin's own 512 Pecan Porter. One batch had gotten soured. It was surprisingly really really good, think Jester King. They filled a 12oz bottle for me... actually for YOU!

Octoberfest- 4.8% 11 SRM 21 IBU This one didn't attenuate as well as I had hoped. FG was 1.020, but it's not too sweet. Easy drinker with toasty malt notes on the finish. Brewed in August and lagered until now.
Rauchbier Eiche - 9% 15 SRM 35 IBU This is my take on Schenkerla's smoked dopplebock. Made with home smoked Munich malt smoked with post oak wood. Smoky, malty, and hoppy. Brewed in February and lagered until now.
Milk Stout - 5.1% 21 SRM 32 IBU This one is based off the 1936 version of the English milk stout, Mackeson. I'm carbing it up now, so no tasting notes. The FG sample tasted really good though. I'm excited for this one. Brewed late September, so may need some aging.

I'll preface this by saying these are all underway. Closest to being finished is the cream ale which is cold crashing. I may take a month to ship but I likely will have a farmhouse ready by then too.
76.1% Pilsen Malt
11.1% Flaked Maize
11.1% Flaked Rice
1.7% C60
US-05

2 SRM
10.8 IBU
TBD ABV
1.054 OG

Rye Barrel Aged Vanilla Imperial Stout
73.9% MO
3.2% White Wheat
3.2% Flaked Wheat
3.2% Special B
3.2% Chocolate Malt
3.2% Carafa III
3.2% C60
2.4% Aromatic Malt
2.4% Roasted Barley
1.8% Black Patent Malt
0.8% Black Barley
US-05

65 SRM
87.5 IBU
TBD ABV
1.113 OG

Classic Pils (my first lager)
97.3% Pilsen Malt
1.4% Melanoiden Malt
1.4% Carapils
W34/70

1 SRM
25 IBU
TBD ABV
1.047 OG

Vanilla Coffee Cream Ale - 5% Coffee procured from Heart Roasters - Ethiopia Gedeb beans.
Passion fruit Petit Saison Brett 4.5% prior to Brett. 4 grain saison fermented with a Belgian strain conditioned over Brett C and Passion fruit. Well attenuated prior to Brett i.e. 1.004. I still need to carb but definitely unique.

Brews coming soon and likely to make an appearance- RIS aged in a JD barrel (if permitted, collab brew/blend (5 homebrewers brought their fermented RIS under certain guidelines) secondary to it being a 50 gallon barrel. Sorry I do not brew on a 50 gallon system...) and a Huell Melon Helles Lager.

"I Love a Burning A$$hole in the Morning"- 5.7% Mexican Cake-type stout. Cinnamon, chocolate, three pepper medley.
"Fall Down Ale 012" - ABV TBD (expected 10%) American Barleywine. 12th annual collaborative barleywine.
"Beer" - 3.5% Belgian Table Beer. Partigyle of the above barleywine. Abbey Yeast.

Wowza. Nice round.

oh yeah I knew al and the als of Hamden staff quite well..... probably too well.... you got to order the hot hot hot and a good old sunny side or a hop tart or any of their sours (not to be confused with new belgiums hop tart if I recall) :)

well at least that was my thing...

Actually I was a NEPA guy but now I’m down here. Between Harrisburg and York. About 25 min from Pizza Boy. The owner of Pizza Boy is a NEPA guy from Hazleton.

Last edited:
oh yeah I knew al and the als of Hamden staff quite well..... probably too well.... you got to order the hot hot hot and a good old sunny side or a hop tart or any of their sours (not to be confused with new belgiums hop tart if I recall) :)

well at least that was my thing...

I’ve had the hop tart. Huge fan. I’m fortunate the wife and my boys love going there so every time they ask I’m like let’s go! I will have to try the hot hot hot. I’ve got sunny side in the fridge right now! Might have one. The next time your down here you have to check out Mellow Mink on the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg they just opened and have solid beers.

Not sure where your at up there but Conyngham Brewery in Bloomsburg is excellent. Simply Homebrew shop in Drums is good. Pete is a great guy. That is where I got my start. Also there is the LCB Homebrew club. There’s a bunch of good guys in there if your interested.

yeah live north of Scranton more or less Barren in terms of good breweries so off to the hudson valley area I go roughly every 2 months ... I do plan to hit up mellow mink he was just starting when i moved last year... he pourex at one of the beer events I was competing at... south county is near you sort of... their cosmic nod probably one of my favorite pales of late...

yeah live north of Scranton more or less Barren in terms of good breweries so off to the hudson valley area I go roughly every 2 months ... I do plan to hit up mellow mink he was just starting when i moved last year... he pourex at one of the beer events I was competing at... south county is near you sort of... their cosmic nod probably one of my favorite pales of late...

We love South County down here towards Lancaster.

I grew up about 45 min south of you. Attended University of Scranton for a semester and needed a break from religious education and left for PSU!

South County is solid and yes I have access to it. Collusion in York has solid brews and they just started canning this week.

Your not to far from the Finger Lakes. That’s always a great time.

yeah went to Wilkes u never thought I'd be back but here I am. yes collusion
was another one that came to mind but central pa has them popping up everywhere these days.... most of my time is spent over at equilibrium these days when I'm willing to go an hour otherwise down to sabatinis I go which is still 45 mins in hope of some tired hands being on tap or pizza boy stouts or sours. ;)

I guess I’m already on the clock, [emoji846]
Hm, Now who’s HB have I not tried?..

Ha, Having my first now. Just looking forward to this round. First choice is the toughest.

ha I was thinking well he's right sooo does that mean we can technically pick sooner.... ie if he picks now and 2nd pick choses 5 mins later can I go and go back to focusing on fantasy football ;)

I have 3 particular guys in mind but they all look good...

@jason613 and @jerbrew still waiting on offers. I'll give it a minute and then post the offers I do have.
If I can still be in,

My offers are (all grain recipes)

I was hoping to get to brew this weekend and have another beer to add to my offering, but it just didn’t work out. I may have a couple of other extras in the “adult beverage” category I can throw in, all home made, of course.

I'm strongly considering a semi local craft beer offering with the homebrew so don't beat yourself over not brewing a beer this week ;)...

meanwhile planning a Nordic farmhouse for next week... I have to try the hornidal kveik from omega.

what is the thought on a kveik Brett blend with boysenberry.... plan to split a 5 gallon batch the other 3ish gallons with an ipa likely enigma, denali, nelson, and dry hopped with citra or galaxy

if I could get my hands on juniper I would go more legitimate nordic but wife wants an ipa and I want to do another Brett secondary brew so we may have to compromise. brut ipa will have to wait :)

I just pulled a pint of the rauchbier Eiche that I’ve had lagering since February. The lagering phase has really smoothed the rough edges out. And at 9%, it hides the alcohol well. Whoever picks this one, be careful, it’ll sneak up on you in a hurry.

Alright, almost time. I guess jerbrew is out this round, maybe he can get in the next round.

Here is the pick order with times:

1. Scturo 8:00 pm EST
2. RevKev 8:05
3. madscientistbrewNq 8:10
4. Blackdirt_cowboy 8:15
5. jason613 8:20
6. GaBrewZoo 8:25
7. PianoMan 8:30
8. fourfarthing 8:35
9. TBC 8:40
10. TwistedGray 8:45
11. imasickboy 8:50

GaBrewZoo Offer:

Indian Pale Ale - Low IBU, decent malt, and a sweet overtone.

There may be others.

Dark Chocolate/Coconut Imperial Stout - 9.2% (4 months old)

Peach Bellini Wine

76.1% Pilsen Malt
11.1% Flaked Maize
11.1% Flaked Rice
1.7% C60
US-05

2 SRM
10.8 IBU
TBD ABV

TBD ABV
1.047 OG

Back