FOTHB VI: Fellowship of the Homebrew 6: Let Doug and Mark Get Their Own From Now On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratio of darks to light is 60/40. poopy ton of porters and stouts. Some with Death Wish coffee and some with Vermont Maple Syrup. Or 30gal of dark grain tannins..[emoji16]
I kinda wonder what that'd taste like.. half the darks aren't astringent. Hmmm.

Not pictured is the base malt. And I kinda like the idea of maple syrup. I was thinking that or toasted coconut

I’m thinking you blindly selected some words out of the beer guide and put “true” in the front to make people think it’s authentic. Nice play.
*whispers to himself* he's onto me
Yumm..toasted coconut! Add more then you think.
Was wondering if anyone here had any input.. Shooting high for 12-15% for a 6.5gal batch

I use 3 pounds of toasted coconut in my Dark Mild. And lose a ton of beer to it. Not sure I would waste a big, expensive beer on coconut, no matter how delicious it would be.

I used 2 lbs unsweetened coconut for 3 gals, that I toasted and added in a muslin bag for a week. Getting decent coconut flavor, happy with it. I read that sweetened coconut will give more flavor, so next time.

I used 2 lbs unsweetened coconut for 3 gals, that I toasted and added in a muslin bag for a week. Getting decent coconut flavor, happy with it. I read that sweetened coconut will give more flavor, so next time.
I've heard not toasting will give more flavor as your not burning off oils. Damn..got this Old Rasputin clone ready. Maybe I'll pull off 1 gallon for coconut.

I use 3 pounds of toasted coconut in my Dark Mild. And lose a ton of beer to it. Not sure I would waste a big, expensive beer on coconut, no matter how delicious it would be.
Hmmm didn't think about that. Would be a delicious coconut for a coconut creme pie after use though...
Oh. Now that's encouraging, I feel like a little squeeze to the bag and a drain and would work well. How big of a beer was it? I think 3lbs would offer a nice nuance likely.
I've heard not toasting will give more flavor as your not burning off oils. Damn..got this Old Rasputin clone ready. Maybe I'll pull off 1 gallon for coconut.
That makes sense.. I may have to play around with toasting and not. And just eat a lot of coconut..

And i though I got excited when I brew, [emoji12]Whats the current list look like @GaBrewZoo? Still waiting on a couple of lurkers. Step up!

Should be yummy!!
IMG_20181003_190420.jpg

Haven't gotten to the RIS or inaugural NEIPA in the Fermentasours yet. [emoji53]

I'll be forgoing home improvement activities next Thursday. Been a LONG time since I had an entire day of AG brewing. [emoji106]

Kegging and carbing 10 gallons Oktoberfest. Tastes pretty good. A little sweet. FG was supposed to be 1.010, ended up at 1.017. It seems all my beers have been finishing higher than they should. Don't know why.View attachment 591800
I've been meaning to do an oktoberfest. Sounds good! Might make a holiday festbier in the style

Damn cream ale puttered out at 1.018 after 2 weeks.. Thought the dry hop would've resparked fermentation but no, there is AA but never used that in secondary
20181009_193611.jpeg

Alpha amalyse never used it in secondary, only when needed in mashes. OG was 1.054 apparent attenuation of 66%.. Poor for Chico.

I spent like three days trying to figure out how to add amalyse enzyme in secondary and found nothing useful. Everything that I tried thereafter was useless, just a head's up. My impression is that it cannot be used in secondary because of the temperature requirement. It doesn't convert anything until like 150-160f (I forget the exact number). At that temp all your yeast is dead and I think you are making alcohol vapors...or getting close to it.

What's the ABV currently at?

I spent like three days trying to figure out how to add amalyse enzyme in secondary and found nothing useful. Everything that I tried thereafter was useless, just a head's up. My impression is that it cannot be used in secondary because of the temperature requirement. It doesn't convert anything until like 150-160f (I forget the exact number). At that temp all your yeast is dead and I think you are making alcohol vapors...or getting close to it.

What's the ABV currently at?
Yeah I just started doing a bit of research for journal articles in low temperatures, not looking so great so far, there are mutant strains that are tolerant to low temperature yet I doubt anybody has those [emoji28] I think I'll just crash it, it's at 4.8% right now.

Yeah I just started doing a bit of research for journal articles in low temperatures, not looking so great so far, there are mutant strains that are tolerant to low temperature yet I doubt anybody has those [emoji28] I think I'll just crash it, it's at 4.8% right now.

That's good for a cream ale, just leave it. Anyways, I tried AEnz at low temps up to about 80f or so and did nothing. So...there's that

I tried AA little while back after an amber finished kinda high. Did nothing. For some reason, all my beers lately have been finishing higher than they should.

Amber should have finished at 1.012, finished 1.018.
NEIPA should have finished at 10.14, finished 1.022.
Oktoberfest should have finished at 1.010, finished at 1.017.

Back