First Adjunct Brew Watery Before Conditioning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflack12

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bottled my first ever brew with fruit additions in the form of lemon peel in the boil and frozen blueberries in the fermenter. It was a 5 gallon basic IPA extract kit, I boiled for 60 minutes with the lemon peel, fermented for about 9 days, then added about 3 lbs of sanitized frozen blueberries. Left it in the fermenter for another 9 days, then bottled today.

When siphoning into the bottles I noticed the color was extremely light going through the tubes (looked a lot like Rose wine). I tasted some of the unfermented beer and felt that it was very watery. It has some decent hop flavor, some blueberry tartness, but no lemon flavor and little to no malt flavor.

I know that I didn't dilute the beer any more than the instructions said. Could water have been pulled out of the fruit that diluted the beer?

Looking for any advice or insight so that I can try to learn from whatever blunder it is that I made.

Thanks!

With out trying the brew (contact me for my address) I'd say the beer may have more alcohol due to the added sugars in the blueberries. This may contribute to less mouth feel/thinner brew than desired. Flip side, more alcohol. Gotta look at the upside!

What was the recipe you used?

Some fruit can add extra water depending, especially frozen fruit. This as well as the sugars can give it the feeling of being "thin" to the palate.

Also, what was your OG and FG before blueberries (and FG after too if you have it)

What was the recipe you used?

Some fruit can add extra water depending, especially frozen fruit. This as well as the sugars can give it the feeling of being "thin" to the palate.

Also, what was your OG and FG before blueberries (and FG after too if you have it)

Back