Filtered Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drama

Reaction score
For my first brew is it a big deal to use filtered water or just boil tap water? I have access to DI water, Millipore water, or I can just enjoy the easier process of using tap water and boiling it. I'm not opposed to installing a water filter either.

Thanks in advance!

Zach

depends on your local water quality. usually water companies have an analysis online or they will mail it to you. you could also send it out for testing. i have a rv filter i run my water through to get ride of the chlorine and chloramine other than that it's great for brewing.

Filtered water for the boil,& spring water to top off with would be good. I'm thinking of making the water filter rig an AG'r on here made out of a fridge filter. Higher flow. The spring water for top up has the trace minerals the yeasties seem to like,ime.

It all depends on if you're extract brewing or all grain brewing. If you're doing an all-grain batch for your first brew, then 1) you are nuts and 2) yes, your water definitely matters.

If not, then as long as your tap water doesn't make you gag then it will be most likely be fine.

One thing to worry about: chloramines. If your municipality uses chloramines to treat your water, then you should get a bottle of campden tablets and use 1/4 tablet for every 5 gallons of water. Add it to your water as soon as you can.

chlorine and chloramine in the brewing water is the fastest way to ruin your beer (plastic taste that does not go away). So if your water has that in it, it is well worth the money to invest in a filter.

For me, my tap water is not drinkable IMO, but I happen to have a 5 stage RO\DI unit for the salt water tank, so I use that, just dont use the DI stage as it strips all of the trace minerals out. I was just happy to find another use to justify the unit lol.

As others have stated, if you are doing an extract batch then boiling your tap water is usually way to go. Chlorine and bacteria are your biggest concerns with water when extract brewing. By boiling for 60 min and letting your brewing water stand over night, you should be able to avert both of these things.

I have heard of a lot of people using spring water to top off the fermenter with great results, but I was always too paranoid to do that. I was still skeptical that microbes were floating aimlessly around in the bottled water just waiting to infect my beer. I only did two partial boils, and each time I boiled the water for topping off in separate pot while doing my wort boil. I soon invested in a 10 gallon stainless pot to do full wort boils. It cut about two hours off my brew day not having to wait for a second pot of water to boil for 20 minutes.

I did an extract batch and bough six 1-gallon jugs of distilled water at the grocery score. It cost me 5 bucks. Worth it.

I'm doing an extract batch first. I do drink my tap water without a filter and it tastes good. I'll check up and see if they treat the water with chloramine here.

Will a Pur or Brita filter get rid of chloramine?

Our water is treated with flouride (I think) and all of my home brews have tasted pretty good so far. We have the best water in the UK too though, it comes from springs in Wales. You wanna check out water hardness as well - you want softer water for ales etc, harder water for export style lagers, just as examples, and it's very easy to control with calcium somethingorother.

Most people rave about spring water in their brews so if you're particularly interested, buy some and give it a blast. It's really more of a tweak than a massive defining factor in my opinion though.

For me, my tap water is not drinkable IMO, but I happen to have a 5 stage RO\DI unit for the salt water tank, so I use that, just dont use the DI stage as it strips all of the trace minerals out. I was just happy to find another use to justify the unit lol.

I have access to the same filtration system, and I pull my brew water from at the end of the filtration - pure H2O. I do all extract, so all the minerals and necessary items are already in the mix. I've done probably 20 batches this way with great success.

From my understanding, most of the chlorine boil off during your boil, as long as the lid is off. Not sure what effect this has on the mash if you are doing all-grain, though.

FWIW, I use tap water, but I am on the same aquifer as the Abita brewery so my tap water is probably a little better than average.

It all depends on if you're extract brewing or all grain brewing. If you're doing an all-grain batch for your first brew, then 1) you are nuts and 2) yes, your water definitely matters.

Whatever man, I'm doing my first brew this weekend, going AG, yeast starter, even dry hopping. :)

Hmmm should i be afraid? First brew is in my primary as we speak. I used tap water, 2.5 gallons of which were not boiled. According to my county's website, our water contains a "small" amount of chlorine. My tap water tastes great, which is why i used it instead of bottled water. If i can't taste chlorine in my tap water will i taste it in my beer?

Hmmm should i be afraid? First brew is in my primary as we speak. I used tap water, 2.5 gallons of which were not boiled. According to my county's website, our water contains a "small" amount of chlorine. My tap water tastes great, which is why i used it instead of bottled water. If i can't taste chlorine in my tap water will i taste it in my beer?

Depends on the style...you may taste it, but it should still be ok. If you are going to use tab water many folks use camden tablets to kill the chlorine taste.

Edit: I just re-read your post...if you cant taste it in your water then you won't in your beer either.

I also have RO/DI filters for my SW aquarium and i was going to use the filtered water for my first batch (williams german ale) but the kit said to not use filtered water..and said that the beer NEEDS the minerals in tap.......strange??? we need to keep this thred giong for more input........

I also have RO/DI filters for my SW aquarium and i was going to use the filtered water for my first batch (williams german ale) but the kit said to not use filtered water..and said that the beer NEEDS the minerals in tap.......strange??? we need to keep this thred giong for more input........

From my understanding DI water removes all of the minerals. If you are doing an all grain batch, that would not be good because you need those minerals.

If you just use the RO water it should be fine, will still have trace minerals, the DI resin removes all the trace minerals so you can make your own custom water profile for the aquarium. RO water tastes good, DI water does not. Like the old addage says if your water tastes good then brew with it.

I just pulled a sample straight from my RO system before the DI resin. I will have a test done and report back the post filter numbers.

Back