Steep to convert - Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzx

Reaction score
Hello,
I am brewing the New England IPA 5 gallon extract kit from brewers best (attached). First time doing an “advanced “ brew. Step 3 calls for Steep the grains, however, it is different than what I am used to. Typically, I just steep grains for 20 minutes with 2.5 gallons of water. This recipe says to use “Steep to Convert”, which says that I need to steep the grains at 155 degrees for 45 minutes, however, using only 1 gallon of water per 2 lbs of grain. My kit comes with 14 oz of grain, which means I would need to use a little less than half a gallon for this step. Does this sound about right? Sounds like I would need to buy a much smaller kettle than my 5 gallon kettle so that I can steep that small amount of water.
Thanks

Attachments

• steep_to_convert_.pdf
    172.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1026_neipa_recipe.pdf
    369.2 KB · Views: 0
They have you doing a partial mash, not just a steep.
You are correct about the water. You could do that step in a standard stockpot.
Managing the temp will be a challenge.

once you hit the temp, try removing the pot from heat and wrap well in a good insulated blanket (Well away from fire obviously). That will probably maintain the temp for the 45 minute time. Even if it doesn't your conversion will probably be done well within 30 minutes. Do an iodine test on a sample to confirm conversion is complete.
Don't test the kettle, remove a teaspoon of wort and test that.
Once you're done, congratulations, you just did your first mash :)

My oven heats to a low of 170 so I used to preheat then turn it off and put the kettle in. I've never used iodine to test conversion, I just look for clear wort on top, if it's still cloudy give it 15-30 min longer.

Latest posts

Back