excited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme86

Reaction score
I just got a Mr beer kit and gonna start in the morning if there is a any tips so I don't make any mistakes please let me know

Sanitize sanitize sanitize.

Read the instructions through a time or 2 before you begin.

Follow the instructions for the first couple of kits that you make until you get the feel for the process.

Have patience with the fermentation(3weeks minimum) and bottle aging(3weeks minimum) times.

Enjoy the fruits of you labor. :)

Welcome to the hobby!

Never used a mr. beer, but other than sanitation, I would say to make sure you keep the temperature in the correct range for the yeast. I don't know what you're making, but if it's an ale, I would say try to hold the fermentation temp in the low 60's. Don't keep it on the counter in your house if the temp is 75. Go for a cool spot in a basement, closet, etc. to make sure you ferment in the right range. You can even keep the fermenter in a larger water bath (bucket) to minimize the temperature swings. No need to add ice if the temp is already in that range.

Needless to say, temp control is important for making beer. I didn't realize how off flavored my beer was until I actually controlled temperature.

Alright thanks another question is that I don't have any real equipment to regulate the temp during the fermentation stage in was just gonna put it in my garage since it's the coldest but I read that I can't have it under I think it's 40 degrees f. And I believe it gets colder than that outside and during the day time it get above 60ish was wondering if there is a way to keep it in that perfect temp range

Do not ever walk away from your boil pot until at least 10 minutes after you add your first bittering hops, or you will be cleaning up a big mess.

Learn to use the blow-off tube, or you will be cleaning up a big mess.

:)

As soon as you empty the fermenter, start another batch to get a pipeline started.

And the big tub of water idea is a good low cost way to control fermentation temperatures. Lots of brewers stick a fermometer on the side, maybe an inch above the bath water line, to keep track of temperature. Or checking the bath water temperature will be pretty close.

Good luck.

Edii: For ales, the close temperature control only applies during the early stages of fermentation - I watch it close for the first five days, then let it go higher - but I still try not to get above the high end of the recommended range.

Hey, I know this may go without saying, but keep the water level of your heater set up below the cap of the LBK. Remember, with an LBK the screw on cap serves as an airlock.

What do you keep the temp of your house at? Usually room temp will work for a MRB.

Dont worry about a blow off tube or adding hops to a boil with Mr Beer.

Check out the Mr Beer thread on this forum. It has lots of good information.

Hackwood is very right about giving it additional time.

Enjoy!

Back