English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a pint of Palmers Tally Ho by the Dorset coast. This must be a descendent of KK / Old Burton. 5.5%, very dark, nearly no roast flavours, moderately high bitterness. Plenty of molasses, stewed fruit flavours from -,I assume- invert sugars. Slightly tart, just off-dry finish.

Favourite recipe: has anybody tried Brewdog Nanny State? 0.5% abv and a ~7oz US dry hop. Not bad, more like hop juice but still beerlike enough. Passes as alcohol-free in Scandinavia and Germany.

Looks tasty.

Ummm should I be posting my recipe and pics in the appropriate style thread and not here?

Please do share here! I started researching this beer around December, brewed on the 2nd or 3rd of January and didn't know it was a success till yesterday. After it is a success, I then share it on the recipes section. Before that, I discuss them over here.

Please do share here! I started researching this beer around December, brewed on the 2nd or 3rd of January and didn't know it was a success till yesterday. After it is a success, I then share it on the recipes section. Before that, I discuss them over here.

Sounds good.
My 3x Gold is loosely based off recipes I've seen on Ron P's site and his book on historical recipes.

I've been researching his stuff for quite some time and am having a great time brewing English ales.
I particularly don't have any ambition to brew American styles because I can buy those in liquor stores, but you can't find good fresh English beers here.
I could go on but you get the point.

Sounds good.
My 3x Gold is loosely based off recipes I've seen on Ron P's site and his book on historical recipes.

I've been researching his stuff for quite some time and am having a great time brewing English ales.
I particularly don't have any ambition to brew American styles because I can buy those in liquor stores, but you can't find good fresh English beers here.
I could go on but you get the point.

Completely agree with you. I can get quite a lot of standard British and American beers, but the historical ones are more exciting (India Porter! Stock ales!).

Think of this as a place to bounce a new recipe off for input from people who brew them as well. The recipe section of the forum is supposed to be for "tried and true" recipes. So share away.

And I agree, American beers are easy to find. Belgian beers are relatively easy to find. German beers are relatively easy to find. Well-brewed American versions of Belgian beers, easy to find. Well-brewed American versions of German beers are a little harder to come by, but again they're still out there. But the English ales, fresh UK examples are scarce, most of what we get are the export variations anyway and not the authentic product, and most US-brewed English style beers, while plentiful, are terrible. Many breweries in the US make an ESB. Few make one I would call anything other than an American Amber.

Too bad it will be likely gone by the next meeting. I would like to taste it carbonated.

I know it'll be gone by the next meeting, but I'll bring a couple growlers of a ten gallon batch of Boddingtons bitter I split. One on London ale III and the other on West Yorkshire.

Whats your boddies recipe? It's one beer I'd like to go back in time to try in the mid 70s when it was supposed to be good

Here's a recipe for the 1970s Abbot, another famous beer that has suffered over the years. Taken from JBK I think
gfF2FzP.jpg

I really like English beers, but I have never tasted a mild. Just can't buy one in my neck of the woods. Since May is "Mild Month", I decided to brew one to see what it's like. I decided to brew Gordon's Strong's "Simplicity Mild" recipe from his book. It's supposed to be very light in body, with only three grains, but with tremendous flavor. It's also supposed to be authentic as a "Spot on dark mild that would be welcome at any English pub in the midlands". He goes on to say that the "Thomas Fawcett" chocolate malt is the secret to the recipe, as this brand of chocolate malt has superb flavor.

So I brewed it in mid April so I could enjoy it this month. I have to say it is really good. It has a rich chocolate flavor, light caramel layer, some fruity notes (probably from the 1968 London ESB yeast), and has very low bitterness. I didn't know what to expect but I am very glad I brewed it. I am sure there are even better milds across the pond, but this one is pretty darn good! I enjoy this thread and all the recipes, thanks to all for the contributions. I want to start brewing some of the ones here also.

Cheers :mug:

John

Brewing this one in the next few months -

Mild Ale c. 1824 10 gallon batch

2 lbs 8.5 oz Amber (Crisp) 10%
10 lbs 2 oz Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) 40%
12 lbs 10 oz Mild Malt - Muntons 50%

Mash In Add 9.49 gal of water at 162.9 F 152.0 F
Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 7.54gal) of 168.0 F water
6.5 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)

1.054 OG
1.016 FG
40 IBU
18 SRM
5.1 % ABV

Cribbed from my Mild Ale book.
Seems like a lot of Caramalt but have not tried this malt yet, anyone have experience with it? along with Muntons Mild Ale or should I go with Briess Ashburne?

Anyway....Critiques please.

There is nothing better than a bitter or mild. They are crisp and drinkable while maintaining a satisfying hop, malt, and flavor profile. My favorites have heavy flavors of bread and toffee, but still quench thirst like a crisp amber. If you like cask ales, this style is one of the best suited to it. I am lucky enough to live near http://www.greenmanbrewery.com/our-beer/#beer-1366 who serve an excellent cask of ESB every once in a while. I think that the cask is best served a little on the cooler side too, probably my favorite drinking experience period. This beer is pretty solid in a bottle as well. Here's a clone that will definitely get you on the right track to making a well rounded, refreshing esb which leans ever so slightly on the sweet/malty side. https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/green-man-esb

Brewing this one in the next few months -

Mild Ale c. 1824 10 gallon batch

2 lbs 8.5 oz Amber (Crisp) 10%
10 lbs 2 oz Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) 40%
12 lbs 10 oz Mild Malt - Muntons 50%

Mash In Add 9.49 gal of water at 162.9 F 152.0 F
Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 7.54gal) of 168.0 F water
6.5 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)

1.054 OG
1.016 FG
40 IBU
18 SRM
5.1 % ABV

Cribbed from my Mild Ale book.
Seems like a lot of Caramalt but have not tried this malt yet, anyone have experience with it? along with Muntons Mild Ale or should I go with Briess Ashburne?

Anyway....Critiques please.

Couple of things:
1) I'd expect only the weakest milds to have an OG of 1.054 in the 1820-1850 period
2) Are you sure it's caramalt?! I've never seen crystal malts in British recipes before around 1870 or so, and even after that they are pretty rare. I'd expect two types of pale malt (mild and pale) and amber malt in this one.
3) It already has plenty of amber malt!

Just picked up my mild book. To compare, Truman XXXX from 1832 has only pale malt for an OG of 1.140 and 9.5oz of hops in the boil. It would have been the strongest of their range. In 1831 X was 1.066, XX was 1.079, XXX was 1.094.

The recipe was taken from Mild Ale by David Sutula.

Recipe calls for -
Caramalt (carapils) 40%

Is there a difference between caramalt and carapils?
Also it's called out as 1.066 OG
But when I beersmith'd it came out with 1.054.

I'm wondering if it should have been another pale malt instead of the carmalt.

Huh. I just checked my copy. That's indeed what it says. I know that studies have shown that even 100% crystal malt worts will attenuate far further than conventional homebrew wisdom would suggest, but I still have a hard time envisioning that working well.

The book I've seen on amazon is from 1999. Our understanding of historical British styles has moved on a lot since. You can get brewing records for milds of the period, though.

The book I've seen on amazon is from 1999. Our understanding of historical British styles has moved on a lot since. You can get brewing records for milds of the period, though.

Recipe in question allegedly came from the period, "Converted from Youngs Brewing Monitor (London, 1824)". I would assume based on citation that there were gaps. I'm not sure that Sutula is as good at filling in the gaps as Ron is though.

Edit: Ahh, yes, book is from 1999. So who knows.

What do you guys think about my ESB recipe? My dad went in for knee replacement surgery yesterday and I'd like to do this one for him. I intended to use Challenger hops, but I have Chinook on had and I think they'll work equally well, if not strictly traditional.

BUSTED KNEE ESB 5.5 gal / 1.055 / 45 IBU
82% MO
10% Wheat
5% C70-90
3% Aromatic
0.25 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 10
2 oz Chinook @ 0 (+ 20 min hop stand)
WY 1469

NB's InnKeeper is a favorite of mine!

I love English beers.... I always have and ordinary bitter or Dark Mild on tap. Two good places to start with ordinary bitters - Northern Brewer's "The Innkeeper" recipe or the "Boddington's Clone" in the Homebrewtalk database.

Good british malts, good yeast..... I have become partial to 1318 or 1469. Also like 1968.

My most recent version is roughly as follows:
90% Maris Otter
2.5% of each of the following -
Carapils
British Crystal 40
British Crystal 120
Wheat

3 additions of EKG - 1 ounce at 60, 45 and 0 (40IBU's).
(I am making about 6 gallons)

Shooting for gravity of around 1.038-1.042

Do not shoot for "burton water".
If you use B'run water - I am targeting water numbers that are basically around this:
Calcium: 75
Sulfate: 125-150
Chloride: 25-35
Bicarbonate:50
Others are all relatively low
Getting Mash pH of 5.2-5.3
I dilute my tap water quite a bit with Reverse Osmosis water (80% or so)

Control ferm temps...... mid-upper 60's beer temps.

Carbonate on the low side.

What do you guys think about my ESB recipe? My dad went in for knee replacement surgery yesterday and I'd like to do this one for him. I intended to use Challenger hops, but I have Chinook on had and I think they'll work equally well, if not strictly traditional.

BUSTED KNEE ESB 5.5 gal / 1.055 / 45 IBU
82% MO
10% Wheat
5% C70-90
3% Aromatic
0.25 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 10
2 oz Chinook @ 0 (+ 20 min hop stand)
WY 1469

Is the aromatic malt like a Belgian substitute for amber malt? To be fair, I'd think of replacing it with flaked maize and lower the % of wheat. You can always add 0.25% patent malt for colour if you fancy that.

Is the aromatic malt like a Belgian substitute for amber malt? To be fair, I'd think of replacing it with flaked maize and lower the % of wheat. You can always add 0.25% patent malt for colour if you fancy that.

Thanks for the repy JKaranka. I'm looking for a firm malt backbone with this one and I'm thinking the small aromatic addition will play nicely with the 1469 yeast. What's your thinking with the flaked maise?

Thanks for the repy JKaranka. I'm looking for a firm malt backbone with this one and I'm thinking the small aromatic addition will play nicely with the 1469 yeast. What's your thinking with the flaked maise?

Flaked maize is fairly flavour neutral. Helps you keep the body in check and brings out that alcohol note. So the opposite direction of what you're going for :D Even better is some invert sugar. I don't know what it is about small simple sugar additions but they really bring out the caramel in British beers, plus help to make reliable bright beers.

Recipe in question allegedly came from the period, "Converted from Youngs Brewing Monitor (London, 1824)". I would assume based on citation that there were gaps. I'm not sure that Sutula is as good at filling in the gaps as Ron is though.

Edit: Ahh, yes, book is from 1999. So who knows.

I'll scrap that recipe and find one of Ron's AK mild recipes.
I do have his 1914 Courage Imperial Stout slated for next weekend though.

Flaked maize is fairly flavour neutral. Helps you keep the body in check and brings out that alcohol note. So the opposite direction of what you're going for :D Even better is some invert sugar. I don't know what it is about small simple sugar additions but they really bring out the caramel in British beers, plus help to make reliable bright beers.

I have some medium invert I made a year back that's just starting to crystalize, so I could use up 4% or so of that.

Even better is some invert sugar. I don't know what it is about small simple sugar additions but they really bring out the caramel in British beers, plus help to make reliable bright beers.

What JKaranka said for sure. I put somewhere around 5% in every English style I make and it can really help a malty beer have a body that's not cloying while helping to bring out some of those caramel or dark fruit flavors people are seeking.

Thanks for the feedback on my ESB guys. My gut told me to stick with the original recipe as I know with my system 1469 does tend to attenuate a lot more than most English strains. I want this one to stand out against my IPAs, so I'm deliberately pushing for increased malt presence. I brewed yesterday so all being well I'll be tasting the first beer in 6-7 weeks. It'll be interesting to see if the aromatic malt was a good idea.

I've used a small addition of biscuit to good effect before, and aromatic isn't completely off of that mark. It does take a little more time to meld smoothly into the flavor profile, though. I bet it will be tasty, even if it's not exactly what you were looking for.

I tend to think of Aromatic as "Super Munich" and Biscuit/Victory as "Super Maris Otter". Slightly different characters. I wouldn't see Aromatic being totally out of place, but I certainly wouldn't call it Amber Malt either. I also like Biscuit in my house English Ales. I think it plays well with Maris Otter and gives a little more bready, doughy oomph to the base.

Alright gents, what can I get drinkable in cask by in around 2 weeks? This is my first thought:

(4 gallon batch)

Est OG: 1.042
Est IBU: 28

5 lbs. MO
8 oz. Flaked Maize
4 oz. Homemade invert #2

.66 oz. EKG @60
.5 oz. EKG @ FO
.5 oz Centennial @ FO

WLP 007

Meant to be a quaffer at a party other than the 20ish bottles I get after filling to 1 gallon pins. Still want to have something interesting, though as at least a few guests are into beer. Flaked maize and invert too much? I've definitely seen a recipe or two with both on our beloved site but I've never actually done it.

The Centennial is a bit of a whim but I actually think it plays somewhat nicely with EKG as evidenced in my barley wine that's coming around. Could swap it out for Fuggles. Have plenty of color and specialty English malts, but I think keeping this simple is key.

Thanks as always! :mug:

Back