Quantcast

English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Derp

Reaction score
Machine House microbrew in Seattle has an ambrosial Mild, that I'm trying to at least get close to.
I've thought about doing the same. I had tickets to fly out for March Mildness (and to visit family) but had to cancel due to the lockdown.

That mild is the dog's bollocks.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That mild is the dog's bollocks.
I know, right? Hell, a dog would probably prefer to lap this up to licking their own bollocks. That said, BCJP may knock it down for being out of style but it freaking rocks.
ABV: 3.7%
SRM: 28
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.008
IBU: 20
Mash: 2-row, Crystal, Dark Crystal, Chocolate
Hops: Nugget, Progress, Goldings

I talked to the brewer back in January and he revealed:
Yeast: Fullers
US 2 row
Bairds for the specialty malts:
Crystal 50/60L
Crystal 135/165L
Chocolate

Kicking myself I didn't ask for the mash temp or the percentages. But eventually I should be able to triangulate in on it.

I need to call them tomorrow and see if they are open. The website wasn't clear and I think WA State doesn't start to reopen until June. That said, they do have To Go operating. So, I should do my duty and at least make a token effort to help out by getting a growler or three.

Derp

Reaction score
I know, right? Hell, a dog would probably prefer to lap this up to licking their own bollocks. That said, BCJP may knock it down for being out of style but it freaking rocks.
ABV: 3.7%
SRM: 28
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.008
IBU: 20
Mash: 2-row, Crystal, Dark Crystal, Chocolate
Hops: Nugget, Progress, Goldings

I talked to the brewer back in January and he revealed:
Yeast: Fullers
US 2 row
Bairds for the specialty malts:
Crystal 50/60L
Crystal 135/165L
Chocolate

Kicking myself I didn't ask for the mash temp or the percentages. But eventually I should be able to triangulate in on it.

I need to call them tomorrow and see if they are open. The website wasn't clear and I think WA State doesn't start to reopen until June. That said, they do have To Go operating. So, I should do my duty and at least make a token effort to help out by getting a growler or three.
Thanks for the recipe hints; I shall see what I can come up with.

My son has been getting 5L (I think) cask/boxes from the brewery. Sort of like wine in a box, but with delicious mild.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, my latest try at Machine House Mild is not embarrassing.
2.5 gallons
3# Golden Promise (Machine House just uses US 2-row)
6oz Bairds Crystal 135-165
4oz Bairds Crystal 50-60
2oz Bairds Chocolate
WLP85 (Machine House uses Fullers from Wyeast. WLP85 is fullers WLP002 + (WLP006 or 007) blend. Attenuates a a bit more and therefore a little drier than WLP002)
mild.jpg

Derp

Reaction score
Ok, my latest try at Machine House Mild is not embarrassing.
How close is it? What would you change?

I haven't brewed in months due to a stupid low-carb diet, but I'm feeling the itch and I'd love to brew a mild that was even close to Machine House's.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
for ~2.5 gallons, I've done 4 versions, with V4 getting pretty tasty. Will take it by my LHBS tomorrow as they also love the Machine House Mild. The guys are pretty good at identifying tweaks.

v1
3# Golden Promise
.5# Bairds C50-60
.25# Bairds C135-165
.25# Bairds Chocolate
EKG ~25 IBU

v2
3# Golden Promise
.5# Bairds C50-60
.5# Bairds C135-165
.25# Bairds Chocolate
EKG ~25 IBU

v3
3# Golden Promise
.25# Bairds C50-60
.5# Bairds C135-165
2 oz Bairds Chocolate
EKG ~25 IBU

v4
3# Golden Promise
6oz Bairds C50-60
4oz Bairds C135-165
2 oz Bairds Chocolate
EKG ~25 IBU

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got another Machine House Mild waiting to tap tomorrow and hopefully getting closer to the mark.

In the meantime, cross posting from what I did for beer today.

I have too many English yeasts, and therefore winnowing out the herd. Like to get down to just 4 or 5 (my English flock includes Fullers, WLP85, West Yorkshire, London ESB, S-04, Adnans, Whitbread wlp017, Burton, WLP026 Premium.) For example, I will use Nottingham going forward to substitute for Irish ale yeast because they are pretty to my palate and the fermentation numbers. Probably use the WLP026 Premium for when I do the rare big beer/barley wine. Pitched a West Yorkshire vs Adnan's split batch yeast off 2 days ago.

I've already culled these: London III (dull, lifeless, and certainly not Boddington's), Windsor (too fruity), Yorkshire Squares (beyond my brewing ability and comes off most of the time like a Saison)

shetc

Reaction score