English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot thank you enough for that easy fix. I actually had those washers already on the screws but my sometimes idiotic self have placed them not between the two connecting parts but underneath the wingy thing which is securing the screws. Now that I have followed your advice my drill is not smoking anymore and I got this:
View attachment 830366

... Which I would personally call a pretty decent crush.

Cheers!
Allow me to be the first BIAB-er to say both "congrats" as well as "it could be ground finer".
(yeah, we always say that)

Allow me to be the first BIAB-er to say both "congrats" as well as "it could be ground finer".
(yeah, we always say that)
I know I know... there's definitely room for reFINEment (ho ho ho), but compared to what the German shops were delivering and what I got out of my mill the first time, this is a massive improvement!

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_170653.jpg
    IMG_20230930_170653.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
You pound your fish in NZ?!

(and no, that is *NOT* a euphemism for anything)
I like them dead before cooking.

But I hadn't clicked on the image and the bar across the bottom of image hid the rolling pin.
That could be there for self defense of course as sometimes doesn't all go smoothly if wife and I in kitchen together.
Especially if I've just restacked the dishwasher ( and that's not a euphemism either).

Threw together a prize ale style beer yesterday around work.

90% MO
5% Crystal T50
3% DRC
2% Wheat
Small handful of chocolate malt

'bout 1.054 OG, 25 EBC. The original recipe was only supposed to be about 1.048, dunno what's gone on with my mash efficiency but I'd rather be over than under.

25 IBU of UK Challenger at 30 minutes
10 IBU of UK First Gold at 10 minutes
70g First Gold in a 75°C whirlpool

Lallemand Windsor at 20°C

Looking and smelling great already.
So this has now been kegged. Probably ended up closer to 50 IBU as I forgot to adjust in the recipe for my weirdly high AA challenger.

It's all the better for it. Actually, it's bloody great.

Well freezing yeast did not work as planned, don't know what went wrong but it severely underperformed and stopped at a measly 74% AA with 10% sugar in the recipe. Thawed about 0.5 dl slurry and put it in a 0.5L SNS starter as I begun my brewday.
Dumped the beer sadly but from what I tasted my homegrown hops tasted good, I should have enough left for a new batch
Back to making overbuilt starters and pitching half, putting the other half in the fridge for next brew...
Will make a new attempt tomorrow at a best bitter.

But the yeast mix I've been using for a while now works a charm, a little earthy, subtle pseudo phenolic notes and attenuation from the m42, some dark fruit stuff coming from the m15 and just a hint of citrus from the AY3 yeast.

Not this yeast(blend), and a bitter with an AA of 74% with 10% sugar in the grist is sickly sweet and possibly approaching something US'ians would pass as a "bitter". Unaccaptable for me though.
Life is too short to drink sub par beer mate.

Well freezing yeast did not work as planned,
Thawed about 0.5 dl slurry and put it in a 0.5L SNS starter as I begun my brewday.
In my experience, frozen yeast needs a little more work than that. 50 ml of thawed yeast into 250 ml of 1.020 wort for a day or two to get it back awake and built up a bit, then pitch that into a regular 1 liter starter. If it’s sluggish or you need more yeast, one might need a third step.

I think it's 50ml in 500ml that was used in the SNS, but agree with you it's asking a lot for the surviving yeast cells to spring into action from total suspended animation/ near death.

I think it's 50ml in 500ml that was used in the SNS, but agree with you it's asking a lot for the surviving yeast cells to spring into action from total suspended animation/ near death.
Yes, 50ml would work better into a weak 250ml starter solution to wake up the yeast, then step up from there.

@DuncB From what I know it is filtered enough that it won't give you beer tasting like blood (sugar beet normally has very high iron content), but it will still give the beer some beet flavour. There is another product from Grafschafter similar to Golden Syrup but that is not usually in the normal supermarkets.

@DuncB From what I know it is filtered enough that it won't give you beer tasting like blood (sugar beet normally has very high iron content), but it will still give the beer some beet flavour. There is another product from Grafschafter similar to Golden Syrup but that is not usually in the normal supermarkets.
You mean this one:
https://www.grafschafter.de/produkte/sirupe/heller-sirup
It is mainly invert sugar. Probably the German equivalent to Lyle's golden Sirup. I have seen it in the supermarket here and wanted to give it a try but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

the complete ingredients list:

- invert sirup
- glucose sirup

Sounds perfect to me!

You mean this one:
https://www.grafschafter.de/produkte/sirupe/heller-sirup
It is mainly invert sugar. Probably the German equivalent to Lyle's golden Sirup. I have seen it in the supermarket here and wanted to give it a try but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

the complete ingredients list:

- invert sirup
- glucose sirup

Sounds perfect to me!
Cool I must look that up. One of non-discounters should have it

Someone from my homebrew club was so kind to offer to cultivate some of my rarer yeasts, so I can keep them for longer. The wheat beer yeast is his, the rest is mine

View attachment 832909
It's quite easy to cultivate yeast on agar plates. You basically just need a still air box and you are good to go. These should store very well for years if treated correctly.

Latest posts

Back