ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both my fermentation fridge and keezer are working great after nearly a year...although i am still thinking I should order 2 more units in case one or both do eventually fail.

I can not get my controller wired up properly. I'm just trying to get it to cool only for my keezer so I was going to wire it per the instructions. I have power to the controller and the probe is working. For some reason I can not figure out how to get power to my outlet. Any ideas from anyone?

I can not get my controller wired up properly. I'm just trying to get it to cool only for my keezer so I was going to wire it per the instructions. I have power to the controller and the probe is working. For some reason I can not figure out how to get power to my outlet. Any ideas from anyone?

Have you waited for the compressor delay period (factory set at 3 mins) to finish?
And just to be sure, you are running a hot line to one of the controller "cool" terminals then from the other "cool" terminal to the hot on the outlet socket? neutral and ground just go straight to the outlet socket in the normal places.

I finished my Sou Vide controller build this weekend. I first had it wired wrong. Pretty standard for me though. Got in a hurry and wasn't thinking.

At any rate, I plan on using that controller for my ferm chamber, but my sous vide test had it holding a crock pot at 135F all day long Never off more than 1 degree in either direction.

I planned on swapping a Love controller into that box but it turns out the box is not deep enough for it, so I might have to find another box. I really like the look of having the STC-1000 mounted right in the fridge.

I'm no electrician by any means, but I'm curious about whether or not these controllers need a to be grounded. Does anybody know?

Obviously, they don't have a ground, but would it be a smart idea to ground it?

I just inherited a large chest freezer, and would like to use it as my fermentation chamber. After searching for temp. controllers for $60+, this project may be my answer.

LWayBrewing said:
I'm no electrician by any means, but I'm curious about whether or not these controllers need a to be grounded. Does anybody know?

Obviously, they don't have a ground, but would it be a smart idea to ground it?

It would be a good idea to ground whatever enclosure you use for these contollers. These contollers are meant to be installed as one part of a power switching system, and are not really a stand-alone device, like the Johnson controllers.

Got mine put together tonight. Looked good and turned the fridge on no problem, but... it never turned off. I went out there to check on it and it was at 14* and I had it set for 18*. It's too late to mess with it now so I just turned it off.

Got mine put together tonight. Looked good and turned the fridge on no problem, but... it never turned off. I went out there to check on it and it was at 14* and I had it set for 18*. It's too late to mess with it now so I just turned it off.

Did you break off the metal tab on the outlet?

Yeah, I broke the tab.. I am pretty sure the light was still on for cooling mode. I probably didn't set something correctly (I hope). I will check it out later.

Once you set the temp, you have to "save" the setting.. Otherwise, it'll revert back to the default. Which is 10 degrees... I think?

Did everybody buy the 110V version of the temp controller? I am guessing that's what you need, but I wanted to make sure.

I have silver screws and gold screws no black anything.

American Wiring, will be different if you live outside US

this is pretty standard to most out lets that you can but in Lowes / home depot

Black wire (HOT/ LIVE) wire connect to gold darker screws
White wire (Neutral) wires connect to silver lighter screws
Green or Bare Copper wire (Ground / Earth) connects to green screw

I ended up getting two jacks. One single jack (they sell those - they're about $2) for the hot side and one double for the cooling side. I figure I might want to wire up a fan and my keezer at the same time.

I may also add a jack inside for straight power - I'm planning on mounting this inside the collar - right now it's exposed wiring (except for some electrical tape), but it works fine.

I've seen other charts, but I had to make my own.

This ranges from 0 to 224°F in a Google Docs spreadsheet. I also included a (very) quick ref for the controller. These could be easily cut apart from each other to paste separately (Wives who scrapbook make this look pretty nice).

http://goo.gl/bH09S

Choose "No Gridlines" when printing.

What's the usual transit time for the STC-1000 from Hong Kong to California (Sacramento area) you think? Got my FERM build on hold until I get that little bad boy.

Mine just took12 days to Central Missouri.
Purchased on 12 March, delivered yesterday via snail mail.
e-bay tracking info leads one to believe the pkg was in Los Angeles on the 19th.

Must wait till I'm in town on Tuesday to pick up a project box,

Some Fun now, hay....

Just got mine. Took 2weeks to get here. Its wired up but im going to add a computer fan to it. We need the wiring diagrams added to a sticky in the first link. Its a pain trying to go through all these posts to find them.

Just got mine. Took 2weeks to get here. Its wired up but im going to add a computer fan to it. We need the wiring diagrams added to a sticky in the first link. Its a pain trying to go through all these posts to find them.

A wiring diagram is on the first post...

Unless there's a better one somewhere I haven't read to yet??

This is the one I drew up.

ebaywireup.jpg

Which side, "Tab" are you breaking.
To have one side for cool and other for heat

ebaywireup.jpg

From His drawing above
Grey is Neutral
Black is Hot
Green is Earth / Ground
and the Blue is switched Hot from the STC-1000

you would have to break the tabs on the hot side shown in blue
which are the Gold /Hot screws on the outlet.

A wiring diagram is on the first post...

Unless there's a better one somewhere I haven't read to yet??

Theres a second diagram that shows how to wire in a fan buried around pages 30ish also. But I realized if I used an outlet splitter I can just plug it into that. Only using the cool side so I don't need to worry about the heat.

Running the fan continuously works better to reduce stratification, overshoot, and hot faucet syndrome than only running it when heating/cooling is active. If for some reason you only want the fan to run when heating/cooling is active, using 2 separate fans is a simpler and cheaper solution than wiring up a relay.

Theres a second diagram that shows how to wire in a fan buried around pages 30ish also. But I realized if I used an outlet splitter I can just plug it into that. Only using the cool side so I don't need to worry about the heat.

If you are only using the cold side. you could just not run the switched hot wire for the heat.
This means you would not have to cut out the tab between outlets and both would be usable for cooling.

Wired it up for both because I will be moving in a while and I don't want to have to take it all apart again.

Ordered the unit and talked SWMBO out of our 13 c.f. freezer in the garage. (that last batch in the spare bedroom is the culprit I'm sure ;) ).
Thanks to all who posted for all of the useful information! :mug:

Back