Dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I just pitched a pack of S-04. I have always used liquid before.... I did not rehydrate, just sprinkled on wort. Do I have to stir it in after a while, or just let it be..... Thx

I just pitched a pack of S-04. I have always used liquid before.... I did not rehydrate, just sprinkled on wort. Do I have to stir it in after a while, or just let it be..... Thx

Since you just sprinkled, you shouldn't stir it. It'll absorb some wort, little by little, to rehydrate itself. Then, once fermentation starts, it'll "stir" itself.

Since you just sprinkled, you shouldn't stir it. It'll absorb some wort, little by little, to rehydrate itself. Then, once fermentation starts, it'll "stir" itself.

Yup, I only use dry and I always just sprinkle it on top. I never stir or re-hydrate.

I'm a habitual sprinkler, I don't stir. However I typically pitch 2 full packets of yeast for a 6gal batch, I'll go to 3 packets if it's of a higher gravity.

I use dry yeast almost exclusively now, just because I'm cheap and too lazy to wash yeast regularly. I've tried many different combinations of rehydration and aeration. What I've noticed is that there isn't much you can do wrong with dry yeast. You can rehydrate it or just sprinkle it. You can aerate the wort just before or just after you pitch it. My experiences aren't exactly scientific, but I don't detect a difference in the finished product. The biggest things I've noticed that impact the yeast performance is whether or not you aerate, and the pitch temp.

I always pitch onto the yeast rather than sprinkle, but in the past when I was doing a cool water mix to chill an extract brew I always sprinkled.

I have used Nottingham, SO4 and S23 in a commercial setting, I found rehydration to be a bit of a pain, decided to try skipping it and found no discernible difference in the beer with or without hydration. Used it for years without hydration, no issues.

I hit with pure O2, then sprinkled srpinkled yeast on Mon. @ 3 pm. Wort was 70 degrees.
By 8 AM it was bubbling away.

Back