Re-pitching lager yeast, tons of lag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_B

Reaction score
After 48hr, no activity in my lager. Using 34/70 I pulled from a cake and stored in my fridge, made a starter, out the pack this beer took off in 10hr. Lots of lag time or bad slurry? Have pitched s-04 slurry with luck but never a lager...

I re-pitch 34/70 all the time. If the starter went well, the beer obviously should too. I have noticed with 34/70 that the lower in the temp range it is, the slower it is to start. I find my sweet spot is about 58°. Have you tried raising it a few degrees to see if it gets some momentum?

After 48hr, no activity in my lager. Using 34/70 I pulled from a cake and stored in my fridge, made a starter, out the pack this beer took off in 10hr. Lots of lag time or bad slurry? Have pitched s-04 slurry with luck but never a lager...
How long did it sit in the fridge and how large was the starter you made before pitching the lager? Also, how long did the current starter go for before you pitched?

yeah what floppy said . i just repitched 34/70 into a helles. and it was slow to start . i raised to 61 degrees and it took off so now back down to 58 and bubbling away very nicely

Month and half, 1L starter, made a day and half before.
Thanks. I would say the yeast slurry had quite a bit of dead cells. So when you made your starter, you only saw the few remaining live cells perk up and show activity while the majority of dead cells were just along for the ride. So basically this is an under-pitch situation.

How do you change this for the better next time?

1) Put the old slurry in a container of 1.020 wort, shake it up and let it sit for 30min - 1 hour.
2) Have some new 1.040 wort ready to go, about 500 ml.
3) Pitch only the cloudy liquid part of the 1.020 container into the 500ml of 1.040 wort. (these are the active, live cells)
4) Step the 500ml up to 2-2.5 L of wort and so on to build up a pitch of fresh, live active cells.

Thems the rules and you have better outcomes when you follow the yeast rules rather than convenience which we ALL fall prey to. 1-2 weeks is the guideline for kept slurries. Anything beyond has too much cell death to be useful. Yes there might be exceptions but to do it right, that is the best way.

Thanks. I would say the yeast slurry had quite a bit of dead cells. So when you made your starter, you only saw the few remaining live cells perk up and show activity while the majority of dead cells were just along for the ride. So basically this is an under-pitch situation.

How do you change this for the better next time?

1) Put the old slurry in a container of 1.020 wort, shake it up and let it sit for 30min - 1 hour.
2) Have some new 1.040 wort ready to go, about 500 ml.
3) Pitch only the cloudy liquid part of the 1.020 container into the 500ml of 1.040 wort. (these are the active, live cells)
4) Step the 500ml up to 2-2.5 L of wort and so on to build up a pitch of fresh, live active cells.

Thems the rules and you have better outcomes when you follow the yeast rules rather than convenience which we ALL fall prey to. 1-2 weeks is the guideline for kept slurries. Anything beyond has too much cell death to be useful. Yes there might be exceptions but to do it right, that is the best way.
Awesome guide for yeast starters. Any chance I can save this batch? Grab some new yeast and pitch? Any off flavors from initial under pitching?

I've pitched year old slurry. Might take a day to kick off. I believe dead yeast cells are basically nutrient for live cells.

It would be interesting to split the saved slurry right before pitching...make a starter with half of it. then split the wort into different fermenters and see how each starts off and how it ends and how it tastes.

Just brewed up a hefe last night.

going thru my yeast fridge I found about a 1/2 cup of 2 year old Munich Classic slurry, EDIT...4th generation,(not 2nd generation), in a mason jar. I also had a jar of that same exact yeast, 6th generation and only few months old. ....opened both jars and they equally smelled good and clean.

So, in the interest of.....science? I direct pitched the 2 year old stuff, no starter....will see what happens.

Last edited:
Firsthand knowledge is great. I hope it goes well. BUT, you have to know this is already 'settled science' and you do not need to risk or ruin a batch of beer to find out the result. Hefe yeast is a strong fermenter, so even if you have only a few live cells left, they will work hard. But will they reach a final gravity that you are interested in? And will they make off flavors along the way because they are being over worked?

The better approach would have been to make a starter or two and only pitch the newly create fresh cells. I know it is fun to learn and experiment with homebrewing, we have all done it. But when you value your time more and want to create great beer each time out, there is a better way.

Or just buy a new pack!

in the interest of.....science
Perhaps more in the interest of... testing faith that the yeasties will rise to the occasion. As they almost always do.

But then there's the perceived quality of the final product. And how far to go (or how relaxed to be) regarding yeast health & cell count.

For me, "settled science" deserves respect, alongside personal experience and preference. This should not be political, of course. Or religious. We're just talking about yeast, and starters, and stuff.

Last edited:
Well two days after making this thread, we had airlock activity. Today (5th day) activity stopped. OG was 1.055, gravity today was 1.010. Sat @55° and got up to 58° in my basement. Bucket had evidence of a dense layer of krausen. No weird smells or taste yet.... have it upstairs for a D rest.

Made another starter with some left over 34/70 to pitch in a pre prohibition lager I brewed today. Followed @Bassman2003 starter info. Have it sitting in basement @ 55° awaiting beer wort to reach pitching temp.

Just pitched a 14 day old 833 on to a 1.062 Baltic porter. It had positive pressure at 4 hours and a foam cap and airlok activity at 8 hours, no starter.
What's your harvest method for lager yeast? I've pulled S-04 from the mason jar at the bottom of a conical and that came out super clean.

"settled science"...where have I heard that before? I'm gonna get flagged for political speech...
The effects of time on stored yeast slurry are well understood and observable under a microscope and in simple forced fermentation tests. Cell vitality and viability decline noticeably over a matter of days to weeks, depending on yeast strain and many other factors, with negative consequences for fermentation therefore, potentially, the end product. It all comes down to probability. That’s what science is about really. Probability. And what the science predicts has been known, empirically, by brewers for generations. It’s even been tested unwittingly (and confirmed over and over) almost every time a home brewer directly pitches an out-of-date pack of liquid yeast. Note that these packs of yeast were prepared professionally, following best practices, to be in top condition when packaged under stringent manufacturing conditions, but the vitality and viability of cells still declines noticeably over time. It’s inevitable. That doesn’t mean your expectations aren’t met when you directly pitch a jar of 1-year-old yeast slurry, but it’s not recommended generally, because the probability of it being successful is too low. I suspect if all home brewers started directly pitching 1-year-old yeast slurry, most would be very disappointed.

Just pitched a 14 day old 833 on to a 1.062 Baltic porter. It had positive pressure at 4 hours and a foam cap and airlok activity at 8 hours, no starter.
I find the freshness of lager yeast cakes, including WLP833, lasts a bit longer than ale yeast cakes. I don’t think it’s just due to lower temperature either. Maybe something to do with being bottom fermenters and better adapted to survive in a slurry environment.

I use 6.5 gal Big Mouth fermenters. When saving yeast I leave a very small amount of beer and swirl it a little, leaving the very compacted layer intact so the trub and dead cells are less likely to get into the saved Erlenmeyer flask. I use a flask because it's graduated and I can pitch so as to get enough new growth so that I can keep repitching viable cells.

it's alive...checked this morning and have bubbles coming out the blow off tube. 36 hour, but it could have been active much sooner and just not confirmed.

No guarantee on the drinkability or quality of the final product.

If it fails to satisfy, then will have a go with the 6th generation harvest that is only about 6 months dormant...that keg was quite tasty and fine to drink, and was re-pitched into "dirty" 2-3 times already.

But 4th generation yeast cake harvest (ferment and serve keg), dormant in the fridge for 2 years, has risen from the dead.

it's alive...checked this morning and have bubbles coming out the blow off tube. 36 hour, but it could have been active much sooner and just not confirmed.

No guarantee on the drinkability or quality of the final product.

If it fails to satisfy, then will have a go with the 6th generation harvest that is only about 6 months dormant...that keg was quite tasty and fine to drink, and was re-pitched into "dirty" 2-3 times already.

But 4th generation yeast cake harvest (ferment and serve keg), dormant in the fridge for 2 years, has risen from the dead.
I get activity within several hours. By 36 hours, full-on fermentation with attenuation approaching 50% or more. Usually done the following day. Lagers take a day or two longer at 12*C. Very predictable fermentations with beers comparable my favourite commercial breweries. Nicely balanced with no off flavours. When I used to under pitch yeast and get an extended ‘lag phase’, I was a home brewer still learning the basics and not quite satisfied with the beers I was producing. I knew I could do better. So I looked at what professional brewers were doing different. They repitch loads of fresh yeast.

perhaps pulling the jar of yeast from the fridge several hours or more before pitching would help it wake up sooner?

I don't know when the wort will reach pitch temps so I tend to leave the yeast in the fridge until I'm ready to pitch. Don't really know how long I can leave it out warming up before pitching and if that might have any negative affects on the stored yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back