Overbuild starter from dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony B

Reaction score
I’m going to overbuild a starter with dry Omega Lutra. I’d like to have enough to pitch on a 4.5 gallon batch and freeze some vials for the next go. I am planning to rehydrate the yeast with 280ml water with GoFerm, and build the starter with 1.5L of 1.037 wort, using a stir plate. Just wondering if anyone has experience with similar process and whether I should consider a slightly higher OG considering the water from the rehydration.

If it’s dry, it’s already prepped for long-term storage. You could just make a starter with 1-2g dry yeast and store the rest of the pack. Overbuilding a starter with dry yeast to freeze some is just undoing one of the main benefits of dry yeast.

If it’s dry, it’s already prepped for long-term storage. You could just make a starter with 1-2g dry yeast and store the rest of the pack. Overbuilding a starter with dry yeast to freeze some is just undoing one of the main benefits of dry yeast.
But that sounds way too easy. 😜
Haha. I hadn’t thought of that. After it’s opened, can you put it in a ziplock and freeze it?

"overbuild starter from dry yeast" - seems unnecessary
Sachet price has become a primary consideration for many. It looks like Omega Lutra (dry) is $9-ish for a sachet.

A number of years ago, AHA forums had discussion on re-pitching dry yeast products. Some brewers observed that, for some strains, the yeast related flavors from the 2nd pitch (and beyond) were different than first pitch. Is an overbuilt starter 'similar enough' to a 1st pitch? 🤷‍♂️

After it’s opened ...
Close the sachet tightly, secure it with your favorite binder (tape, rubber band, vacuum sealer) and store it in the fridge / freezer.

Lallemand currently suggests vacuum sealing open packages for many of their yeast products (see the appropriate product information sheet). Other producers may have other guidance that you may want to consider.

FWIW: I have used the "rubber band / fridge" approach for saving open sachets for eight years with good results.

i like to brew short batches. say 2-3 gallons using one pack of dry yeast then repitch that cake for a 5-6 gallon batch when the yeast becomes too pricey.

like say get one pack of 34/70 brew 2-3 gallons with the one pack which will give you a nice healthy cake to repitch for your next full batch.

Back