Hard Seltzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am going to try my hand at Hard Seltzer again. The first time was not a great success, although my mom really liked it. It had a bit of a Sulphur smell and taste that I was not a huge fan of. I used tap water and did not do any kind of water additions. This time, I am going to try and do it using distilled water and add the additions that came in the kit that I got from Morebeer. My question thought is this, the clearing solution that came with the kit contains Chitosan, that I understand contains some shell fish additives of some kind. My wife is allergic to shell fish, so I am wondering if there is another way to clear it up without using the Chitosan? I don't care if it has a bit of a haze to it, so if doing nothing is ok and will keep the taste right, I am good with that too. Also, it says to rehydrate the yeast, it is EC-1118 and I have never rehydrated my dry yeast before. Would it be ok, in you all's opinion, to just add the dry to the bucket and let it go?

I figure this time I will do it right and buy Distilled water, add the water salts and do it per instructions to see if it is any better. Any input is always welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I am going to try my hand at Hard Seltzer again. The first time was not a great success, although my mom really liked it. It had a bit of a Sulphur smell and taste that I was not a huge fan of.

I'm not really a seltzer maker, but from what I have seen and heard from those who are, adding the right type and amount of nutrients is key to avoiding the sulfur smell. I have no idea if the Morebeer kits include the best nutrients.

I'm not really a seltzer maker, but from what I have seen and heard from those who are, adding the right type and amount of nutrients is key to avoiding the sulfur smell. I have no idea if the Morebeer kits include the best nutrients.
Thanks for the reply. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try, right? LOL. I am looking for something a bit lighter on hot days when beer isn't really what I am looking for.

Back