Dry yeast for German pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had made some pretty good lagers fermenting 34/70 in 54F range, I wonder if there might be other process variables?

Acid tang has not been a problem in over 30 brews with it, sounds like partial "infection".

I do agree that fermentation on the cooler side makes better tasting beer, but that is true of all lager yeasts.

I also tend to pitch on the light side compared to others, but do usually oxygenate well.

I've tried 1 pack of w34/70 around 60F (per the warm ferment threads) and got esters. Tried 2 packs at 54F and still wasn't impressed (esters). So I spoke with a head brewer that was well versed with this yeast (aka their old brewery used this strain a TON). They recommended a VERY heavy handed pitch around 49F to 51F. I got a pack of w34/70 and built it up over time on the stir plate to an estimated 800-900 billion cell count. I used this method because the homebrew shop charges almost $8 a pack for w34/70. Pitched that at 49F and I'll be damned...It was actually clean! Seems like this yeast is finnicky so if you were going to ferment at 54F I'd recommend 4 packs at the very least. 49F would need 8 packs.

Labelpeelers has very good pricing on their dry yeasts, $5.65 for W34/70 with free shipping. S-05 is $3.05 and that is shipped.

https://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/beer-yeast/fermentis/saflager-w-34-70-dry-lager-yeast/

Last edited:
Ritebrew would be $6.69 shipped for this yeast. Not bad. But LP price is kind of extra-ordinary for a single pack, I don't see how they are making any money on them. I ordered this morning and already have a tracking number, should get in 2-3 days with First Class shipping. I have to believe LHBS are doomed, deals everywhere.

I have to believe LHBS are doomed, deals everywhere.

That’s why it’s up to us to support our LHBSs! If you live in a city with a LHBS, please support them - even if their yeast costs a dollar more! Helping sustain a local economy is worth the dollar! (Obviously if your LHBS doesn’t have something you need - to the internet!)

So, can a single pack of w34/70 be pitched into 5 gallons of 1.051 pils for fermentation at 55F? I am aware the calculators dish out very large cell counts for lagers, but in actual practice, should I be okay with this? I would also be pitching nottingham into similar conditions (altbier) and kept in the same fermentation chamber, so the 55F is an attempt to keep both happy. I would have the option of reducing the volume if necessary.

Last edited:
So, can a single pack of w34/70 be pitched into 5 gallons of 1.051 pils for fermentation at 55F?.

Yes, not problem at all. Have even pitched a single pack into 10 gallons and it came out great. I generally run it at 54-55F also, with a D rest in when it begins to slow down or about 1.020-18, good time to spund it too.

I pitch 2 packs of 34/70 into 5 gallons at 50 degrees and then let it come up to 55 degrees for fermentation. As soon as the krausen starts to fall I let the temp rise for my d rest . I’ve been making pretty good lagers the last 6 months or so, before that I had some issues but I’m still learning, brewing and learning !

I use 34/70 because I can get it cheap at my lhbs vs other yeasts . I’ve stopped doing anything but lagers because of that.

So, can a single pack of w34/70 be pitched into 5 gallons of 1.051 pils for fermentation at 55F? I am aware the calculators dish out very large cell counts for lagers, but in actual practice, should I be okay with this? I would also be pitching nottingham into similar conditions (altbier) and kept in the same fermentation chamber, so the 55F is an attempt to keep both happy. I would have the option of reducing the volume if necessary.

I've made a few alts at about 60F with good results, and have used w34/70 at the same temp, with good results as well. Many people have reported success with w34/70 in the mid-60s.

FWIW, I recently did a split alt batch with Nottingham, S-04 and K-97, followed by a blind taste test. I preferred the K-97, with S-04 a close second. The Notty ended up a little boring. For what it's worth.

Back