Dry hop creep / Diacetyl in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle spunding is what I do with good results, however you really need to do a forced fermentation test to avoid bottle bombs.

Spunding might be a very good idea.
I do have quite a consistent FG with certain strains, if so, could this be as easy as monitor the SG then plug the airlock hole 2-3 p before FG, chill the fermenter then bottle?

I do have quite a consistent FG with certain strains, if so, could this be as easy as monitor the SG then plug the airlock hole 2-3 p before FG, chill the fermenter then bottle?
That's the basic idea. I will say that the shelf life isn't as good as kegging, although anyone trying to keep IPAs for a while probably doesn't understand IPAs that well.

What are you fermenting in? Can your fermenter hold Pressure? I was saying you could transfer to the bottle to spund in the bottle. The actively fermenting yeast may or may not scavenge O2 that you pickup when bottling.

What are you fermenting in? Can your fermenter hold Pressure? I was saying you could transfer to the bottle to spund in the bottle. The actively fermenting yeast may or may not scavenge O2 that you pickup when bottling.
I ferment in a plastic bucket. Not sure how much pressure it can hold.

Not much, you can’t spund in that
Seems like I have to upgrade my gear [emoji16]

Nevertheless, I have learned a lot about managing hop creep!

Untill I get more space and gear up, I will continue making beer - just not hoppy IPAs.

Thank you for all help!

Is spunding a keg then fill bottles with a beergun or similar a good alternative?

Because I can fit a keg in the place where I brew but not where I live.

If you have constant diacetyl issues with hoppy beers try using 1007. It doesn’t produce diacetyl. As soon as you reach terminal with it you can crash it. Local huge brewery near me uses it for everything. They have to filter cause it doesn’t flocc for ****. I think it’s the strain Pizza Pint uses as well although I’m not 100% sure on that.

Any chance you know if K-97 is the dry yeast equivalent of 1007? I've seen a few folks suggest that on various message boards.

Would love to hear any anecdotes from folks using K-97 specifically to avoid diacetyl!

Any chance you know if K-97 is the dry yeast equivalent of 1007? I've seen a few folks suggest that on various message boards.

Would love to hear any anecdotes from folks using K-97 specifically to avoid diacetyl!

k-97 is supposedly the dry version of 1007 but things tend to go awry when yeast is dried. Never used K-97 so I’m not sure.

Back