Dropped some of the yeast packaging in the Carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
So i have brewed two batches today! An American HEFE and a Russian River Blind Pig IPA clone. Everything went great with the HEFE and everything was going great with the IPA until yeast pitching time came around. I accidentally dropped the corner tip of the smack pack packaging into the carboy as i was adding the yeast. I have know idea how to get it out, so i thought, i might just let it sit in there during primary fermentation and remove it when i rack to secondary. Is this a terrible idea? or should i figure out a way to fish it out of there?

If it was sanitized I'd probably just leave it in there, and even if it wasn't sanitized I'd still probably leave it in there. Whatever was on it, is in the beer now and you'd probably just introduce more crude trying to get it out...

It'll be fine, don't worry about it one bit, the beer will be excellent!
Thanks for the Optimism! Its been a long day and i have been struggling to make a descent IPA! Keeping my fingers crossed!

That corner is much more harmless than not making a starter and/or using a secondary. ;)
I always rack to secondary, but i only make starters for beers over 1.060. The IPA is lower than that range so i did not make extra work for my self.

I always rack to secondary, but i only make starters for beers over 1.060. The IPA is lower than that range so i did not make extra work for my self.
Why do you feel a secondary is necessary? The consensus is that secondaries are only needed when adding fruit, etc., or for bulk aging. The extra handling provides opportunities for oxidation, infection, etc.

Brew on :mug:

Just to put it in perspective, your little slip up probably introduced a few hundred microbes at most into your beer. Then you pitched 2-300 billion horny beer yeast cells which immediately began consuming oxygen and sugar, and farting out a protective blanket of CO2 to deprive any competing microbes of oxygen; then began pissing out ethyl alcohol to kill any stragglers. Brewer's yeast is amply armed to protect itself and your beer from unwelcome invaders. It has taken me a long time to place my trust in the microbiology, but beer yeast really do know what to do.

Your beer will be fine. Probably even amazing. So much so that the next time you go to brew it, you'll probably be tempted to drop the tip of the smack pack into the carboy again just so it works out again. LOL. You think I'm kidding, but now that you read this, next time you brew you'll think about it.

I called my first IPA 'Rubber Bung', because I did not know just how well StarSan works as a lubricant. It was in there until after bottling, my fingerprints and all. Didn't seem to make any difference at all. Not planning to make it a repeat ingredient, but the extraction process was far more likely to be a problem than the traces from a non-sterile surface.

It is good. The yeast should over power anything that was on the piece that fell in. And the alcohol should inhibit anything still around. I have stuck unsanitized items in my wort and said "I hope I didn't ruin my beer". Never have.

I almost never use a secondary, and I make a starter whenever using liquid yeast. An average pack contains about 100 billion cells when packaged, a 1.060 beer of 5.25 gallons should get about 219 billion cells for a proper pitch rate.

It will ferment the beer, but I believe in pitching the proper cell count to give my beer the best chance to turn out great!

Just to put it in perspective, your little slip up probably introduced a few hundred microbes at most into your beer. Then you pitched 2-300 billion horny beer yeast cells which immediately began consuming oxygen and sugar, and farting out a protective blanket of CO2 to deprive any competing microbes of oxygen; then began pissing out ethyl alcohol to kill any stragglers. Brewer's yeast is amply armed to protect itself and your beer from unwelcome invaders. It has taken me a long time to place my trust in the microbiology, but beer yeast really do know what to do.

I love it when you talk dirty... Lol

I once dropped my phone in the fermenter and plunged my arm in up to the elbow to catch it before it sank all the way to the bottom.

Alcohol may have been involved.

I was more worried about the phone (it survived). I didn't even think about the beer until the next day.

It was fine.

I'm not saying I recommend this kind of thing, but rest assured that people have made bigger mistakes than yours and survived.

Thanks a LOT Jayjay….
Now every time I pitch, I will think of horny, farting and pissing yeast.
It's indelibly etched into my mind now, thanks to YOU.....:mad: LOL

Latest posts

Back