Krausen left on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawlesslevie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just made a batch of a stone ipa clone, and everything went well. Fermentation started right away, I left it in primary for three weeks. Threw in some dry hops for weeks 2-3. Just transferred to keg today and when I opened bucket noticed a lot of particles on top. I haven’t brewed in a couple of years so I don’t remember seeing this ever. What am I looking at here and is the beer ok? Is this infection or just some yeast? Starting gravity was 1.056 and final gravity was 1.008. Wyeast smack pack american ale. Thanks

Attachments

• F82A44A7-3ED3-4CF5-ADD9-28F44F0B1B44.jpeg
    F82A44A7-3ED3-4CF5-ADD9-28F44F0B1B44.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
AG? Do you filter hot break at all? It looks like protein to me, but unusual.

If it tastes ok, rdwhahb

If bottling, maybe check for overcarb (carefully) periodically.

AG? Do you filter hot break at all? It looks like protein to me, but unusual.

If it tastes ok, rdwhahb

If bottling, maybe check for overcarb (carefully) periodically.
Yes all grain brew, no filtering. Tasted a little bit when getting gravity reading and tasted fine. My kids took airlock out anywhere from 1-8 hrs too. Not sure if that could have anything to do with this as well. Fermentation temps remained consistent 66-68

It actually reminds me of what the fermenter looks like after a 0.7% ABV cold extract brew - all protein and no yeast. Not sure how that vould happen in a normal beer, but somehow the protein seems to have caught bubbles. Did you use extra carrageenan or something?

In any case, IMO it doesn't look worrisome.

If it tastes okay, it is okay.

Trub and yeast do all sorts of crazy looking things. Even with the same recipe I've seen different behavior of the trub and krausen foam. I suppose little things I may have unknowingly performed differently may have be part of the reason.

I could care less whether my trub was all on the top or all on the bottom. Or even both top and bottom. Just so long as it's not in beer that I rack from between the top and bottom.

Nice, sounds like it’s gonna be ok, I’ve done probably 25 batches, but never remember seeing this and it’s been a while since I last did it. Putting it in keg for cold crash then gonna start carbonation in a couple days!

Back