Dried Voss..... 2 packs for 11 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to get some advice before I do this. I'm sure it's fine

Would 2 packs handle an 11 gal 1.070 IPA pretty well? Rehydrated

I know under pitching is kind of a good thing for IPA citrus flavor.

I would say that should be good enough. I have made several 5 gal. batches of 1.080 beer with just 5.5 grams of Lallermands dry voss kveik per batch and they turned out A-OK. I just pitched it in dry and let it rock.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I think Voss was one of the first 'crikey' strains I tried. About 6-7 years ago. I thought it was **** then. So much so I wouldn't dare waste wort on it today. No shortage of long established yeast strains available to do a much better job for an IPA, regardless. 'Crikey' is so Norway. A ridiculous state of mind mainly. Some buy into it regardless, hook, line and sinker 💩

I think Voss was one of the first 'crikey' strains I tried. About 6-7 years ago. I thought it was **** then. So much so I wouldn't dare waste wort on it today. No shortage of long established yeast strains available to do a much better job for an IPA, regardless. 'Crikey' is so Norway. A ridiculous state of mind mainly. Some buy into it regardless, hook, line and sinker 💩
So, thanks for your opinion but how does this directly address the OP's question?

I just wanted to get some advice before I do this. I'm sure it's fine

Would 2 packs handle an 11 gal 1.070 IPA pretty well? Rehydrated

I know under pitching is kind of a good thing for IPA citrus flavor.
It depends on whether or not you want the Yeast’s characteristics to be noticed. If you want “Christmas spice and orange peel” under pitch it.

My guess is you will be fine with two packs. I just re-read Lars Marius Garshol's book, and he suggested that even low pitch rates work.

I pitched 1 pack of Lutra into a 5 gallon batch on Monday and it's almost finished. Should hit terminal tomorrow, on Day 3. (BTW, I stopped rehydrating dried yeast a long time ago - there does not appear to be any evidence it helps.)

Here is a Brulosophy you might find interesting: exBEERiment | Yeast Pitch Rate: Impact of Underpitching Kveik Yeast

Don't forget to double the yeast nutrient you usually use.

That is interesting. @McMullan did you ferment your test batches at 37c and above or at room temp?
Nope, and I'd like to know how such high temperatures were maintained historically in a chilly like Norway. Sounds like far too much effort therefore very unlikely to have been generally practiced.

I suspect a lot of blame is attributable to a minor faction of the 'craft brewing' fanhood. The minority who like to be different and stand out like sore thumbs celebrating weird, funky brews. The weirder and funkier the better; according to them. Craft beer arrived very late in Norway. It only got popular several years ago. Up to this point about 99.9999999% of Norwegians had never heard of so-called 'traditional Norwegian farmhouse ale', the weird, funky brews no one dared to discuss in Norway, because they were crap? Now - according to the mechanics of an online Nordic propaganda machine - it's 'the best in the test'. Sorry, but it's ****. That's the reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, and I'd like to know how such high temperatures were maintained historically in a chilly like Norway. Sounds like far too much effort therefore very unlikely to have been generally practiced.

I suspect a lot of blame is attributable to a minor faction of the 'craft brewing' fanhood. The minority who like to be different and stand out like sore thumbs celebrating weird, funky brews. The weirder and funkier the better; according to them. Craft beer arrived very late in Norway. It only got popular several years ago. Up to this point about 99.9999999% of Norwegians had never heard of so-called 'traditional Norwegian farmhouse ale', the weird, funky brews no one dared to discuss in Norway, because they were crap? Now - according to the mechanics of an online Nordic propaganda machine - it's 'the best in the test'. Sorry, but it's ****. That's the reality.
Giving that fermentation is done in two days and fermentation is generating heat on its own, it's actually quite simple to keep it warm.

Just don't cool the wort below 37 degrees and wrap the fermenter in a blanket. It will stay very warm for the biggest part of the fermentation.

According to my information, this is being done and has been done historically.

What historical information? Fermentation isn't going to maintain 37°C. That requires ambient temperatures of about 35°C.

What historical information? Fermentation isn't going to maintain 37°C. That requires ambient temperatures of about 35°C.

As long as heat is being produced by fermentation, temperature is even going to rise. As soon as break even is there between cooling from the surroundings and heat being generated by fermentation itself, it will of course cool down. But slowly when insulated nicely with a thick blanket or sleeping bag (did this myself multiple times, works really well). By the point that the temperature drops significantly, the majority of the fermentation is already done, if not all of it.

To maintain such high fermentation temperatures requires human intervention - effort. Why bother when the yeast are going to ferment just fine at ambient temperatures?

To maintain such high fermentation temperatures requires human intervention - effort. Why bother when the yeast are going to ferment just fine at ambient temperatures?
I'm talking about nowadays best practice. What they've used back in the days doesn't concern me much.

If you get a shi TT y product when fermenting at room temp and another person gets also a sh I t ty product at that temp but a much better product at elevated temperatures, then I'd say there might be just some misunderstanding in terms of best practice.

But I'm not looking for weird off-putting funky notes in my beers. They'd stand out too much in my beers. Covering up using high hopping rates and pretending not to notice isn't in my repertoire. There's no shortage of excellent brewer's yeast strains refined by selection over generations of brewers passionate about the quality of beers. No need to waste effort maintaining high temperatures well above ambient, these refined yeast strains have been selected to 'sing' without too much effort.

But I'm not looking for weird off-putting funky notes in my beers. They'd stand out too much in my beers. Covering up using high hopping rates and pretending not to notice isn't in my repertoire. There's no shortage of excellent brewer's yeast strains refined by selection over generations of brewers passionate about the quality of beers. No need to waste effort maintaining high temperatures well above ambient, these refined yeast strains have been selected to 'sing' without too much effort.
You're focusing a bit too much on the sales mumbo jumbo, if you ask me. I'm trying not to think about that stuff and just try to see what we got here going on regarding the yeast itself.

I am also not a particular fan of kveik, I must admit, but I only checked two types and have not brewed higher gravity beers with it. I see extremely mixed results online, so when I see people making experiments that look like they are showing that we might just have to adjust certain parameters to dramatically increase the goodness of the beer, it sparks my interest.

I for myself have already had mixed results from good apa-ish with minimum twang to weird twangy brews, so I'm intrigued to say that with a better understanding of what we are actually doing, we might be able to squeeze out a more than palatable beer from these weirdo yeasts that they are.

Back