Dried Voss (kveik in general) is amazing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to add that the one stronger traditional Rye kveik that I brewed after your recommendation, which was the best Kveik for me so far, totally nice beer, was still very good even after a few months in the bottle.
I think the secret ingredients in that Rongoteus beer ("a Finnish Rye Dubbel") were lower IBUs, as you noticed, and also a healthy dose of Rye supplemented by Black Malt (Black Rye Malt in my case). The beer came out so chewy and strong-flavoured that the Voss twang was well-balanced. Also, at 1.070 OG and 7% ABV it was in the traditional strength range for Nordic Farmhouse Ale, which well compensates any kveiky tanginess. Yes, it didn't change its flavour with time (it seems Voss doesn't age into more tartness, unlike Hornindal).
An excellently designed beer recipe by Mika Laitinen, I'll rebrew it some day too.

I like beer without any overpowering character. I like to feel everything, both alcohol strength, bitterness, sour and creaminess, but that everything is balanced. Such a beer is probably easiest to get with US-05, but since I don't have the conditions to regulate the fermentation temperature, Kveik would be ideal for me because it has a very wide temperature range. However, so far I have only been able to get Voss Kveik dry yeast and I have not been able to get a balanced beer with it due to the predominant tartness. Currently, I have found a replacement in Belle Saison yeast (I have tried other Saison dry yeasts, but I am satisfied only with this one) which also has a very wide temperature range and does not have any predominant characteristic.

I like beer without any overpowering character. I like to feel everything, both alcohol strength, bitterness, sour and creaminess, but that everything is balanced. Such a beer is probably easiest to get with US-05, but since I don't have the conditions to regulate the fermentation temperature, Kveik would be ideal for me because it has a very wide temperature range. However, so far I have only been able to get Voss Kveik dry yeast and I have not been able to get a balanced beer with it due to the predominant tartness. Currently, I have found a replacement in Belle Saison yeast (I have tried other Saison dry yeasts, but I am satisfied only with this one) which also has a very wide temperature range and does not have any predominant characteristic.
Try to brew the Voss kveik beer I'm talking about above. That beer is the definition of well balanced. It is a bit stronger though, but really worth it. @Protos would you mind sharing the link to the recipe again please?

Try to brew the Voss kveik beer I'm talking about above. That beer is the definition of well balanced. It is a bit stronger though, but really worth it. @Protos would you mind sharing the link to the recipe again please?

Rye Dubbel?

I don't know exactly which Kveik the recipe refers to because only Voss is available to me, and it has, at least according to what I've read here, the strongest tartness. I can't get chocolate rye malt, so I would have to replace it with chocolate barley malt.

Any Kveik yeast goes for this recipe. In this recipe, the tartness of Voss is well counterbalanced by Rye, Black Malt and Alcohol.
One of the few Voss-fermented beers I'm happy with.

I do not understand what is the acidity being reported about voss kveik fermentation; however I do get a very big orange note when fermented around 40° celsius. I did like it in my pale ale style recipe brewed recently.

These traditional nordic farmhouse ales however seem much more interesting than a pale ale. Thanks for sharing these ideas and recipes; surely I will try out some of those since I like the simplicity of working with voss kveik; and having the benefit of very easily making complex/interesting beers is a no brainer!

I don't know exactly which Kveik the recipe refers to because only Voss is available to me, and it has, at least according to what I've read here, the strongest tartness. I can't get chocolate rye malt, so I would have to replace it with chocolate barley malt.
I've also brewed it with Voss and voss was fitting really well. The replacement chocolate should be fine.

Back