Anyone Mix LalBrew Dry Yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrypratt1

Reaction score
Been brewing a bit over a year - and have enjoyed both Verdant and New England dry yeasts for NEIPA's; since I have a 5 pack of New England that has a pitch rate of 2X11 grams I'm wondering on thoughts of combining in one of my batches using Verdant that pitches at 1X11 grams. I've never used 2 different yeasts in a single brew - wondering if this is something worth trying or just a way to make a less than stellar NEIPA?

Grist bill I have planned (2 batches ordered from Atlantic Brew Supply):
Pounds
2 Row Brewers Malt 1.8L (Briess)
11​
Pale Wheat Malt, 2L (Best Malz)
2​
Flaked Wheat 1L
1​
Flaked Oats, 1.5L
3.5​
Golden Naked Oats
0.5​
Total Grist
18​

I will dry hop at high krausen with 4 ounces of Ararillo and then once finished drop to 48 degrees and dry hop with 12 ounces of Citra for 48 hours. Any advice in favor or opposed to mixing the 2 yeasts that I enjoy in my IPA's.

Terry

My standard neipa uses New England and Verdant 2:1. I can’t saw I have a strong reason for doing that other than I started there and have liked every Hazy I made. Haven’t done any experimenting to see if it’s worth it. I just upgraded to do 10 gallon batches with two fermenters so maybe will do a split batch sometime with one mixed and one all NE.

Regarding your recipe I would just skip the high krausen addition and do everything at once. I think most have moved away from hopping during fermentation.

Just glancing at the recipe it looks like maybe a lot of hops for that ABV but I’m sure will taste good. Can’t go wrong with Citra imo

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I do like both New England and Verdant and have often found 6 packs of New England that fit the 2 pack pitch rate. With at least 1 positive feedback I'll likely give the mixed yeast a shot and see how i enjoy the combination. Yes - a good sized Citra addition - but once I found Hops Direct at $14/Pound I upped the amount as storing once opened is not the same as the sealed package (freshness). I am using an All Rounder to ferment with a Hop Bong to allow oxygen free additions so still working with a smaller addition early and then the late addition once fermentation complete (I like Nelson or Amarillo as the early addition personally).

And thanks again!

Terry

My next NEIPA experiment will copitch Koln and Verdant- the latter for its stone fruit esters and the former for its exceptional performance in biotransformation.

Latest posts

Back