Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
refuse to have a home brew on brew day, until the yeast have been pitched.
What a wise thought.
Many times, after various drunken brewing process f***ups, big and small, urged myself to do exactly that.
Never did.
So promised, at least, to drink no more than one bottle until the yeast have been pitched.
To no avail.
Drunken f***ups are now part of the brewing routine.
Don't Do That.

Last edited:
I dumped it and now refuse to have a home brew on brew day, until the yeast have been pitched.
I have beer with breakfast on brew days and if something get missed, oh well, I enjoyed my day. :cool: Although I have forgot a lot of steps at various times I don't think I have forgot to pitch yeast. Just lucky i'd guess.

To be fair, I had a mate staying for a few days and brew day turned into bit of a session. The funny part was how I told him the yeast were going to be rocking the next day. He looked incredibly skeptical looking into the FV the following day. And the day after that.

Stop brewing for a few months due to Life. That's ok, because full kegs "in the pipeline" are to the left of the keezer whilst kegs to be cleaned sit to the right.
Go to replace a keezer empty with a full pipeline keg and find out you put an empty to the left one night in a hurry, months ago.
Don't do that.

Wort sitting for four days sans yeast typically leads to Lacto City. Or worse.
I bet it had "DUMP ME!" all over it :oops:

Worse, most likely.

Several years back I made a saison with a mixed saison culture I had just started to use and didn't realize just how finnicky it is. I pitched at the end of the brew day as usual and saw several days of zero activity. Then globs of mold grew on the surface. Nice turquoise chunks of mold. Dumped. Thankfully it was a one gallon batch so it wasn't a huge loss.

I've had some spontaneous fermentations turn out very poorly as well.

Stop brewing for a few months due to Life. That's ok, because full kegs "in the pipeline" are to the left of the keezer whilst kegs to be cleaned sit to the right.
Go to replace a keezer empty with a full pipeline keg and find out you put an empty to the left one night in a hurry, months ago.
Don't do that.
Bet that smelled wonderful! Had a similar situation with some 'donated' kegs from a friend; didn't need them at the time, and they sat in the hot/cold/hot/blistering hot/cold garage a couple of years. Finally got to needing them, opened one, and just about keeled over from the smell of REALLY old nasty beer in the bottom. Think turpentine mixed with vinegar. Urrrrgh.

Been there done that @seatazzz , I opened one up after sitting like you describe in the Florida heat for over a year. Pulled the lid off and stuck my nose right over the opening. Burnt my eyes and the smell stayed in my sinuses for hours. Won't do that again. Thanks for reminding me. Someone gave 3 old cornies to my son to give them to me. Dude hasn't used them in over five years. You know I'm gonna be very careful.

I try to always* hook up my cleaning pump-spray-bottle-with-ball-lock-QD and run in some pbw/water after a keg kicks because I'll wait until I have a couple to clean.

* "Always" - definition: I'd better go do that now.

I try to always* hook up my cleaning pump-spray-bottle-with-ball-lock-QD and run in some pbw/water after a keg kicks because I'll wait until I have a couple to clean.

* "Always" - definition: I'd better go do that now.
There.
That's done.
(Oops. Should've posted in the "Do That" thread...)

1661949201528.png

I thought you were cleaning the dispensing line...

What do you accomplish by only adding a little PBW and water to a kicked keg that probably still contains an ounce or 2 of beer, and likely some trub/sludge?

I am cleaning the dispensing side of the inside of the keg I guess. If I know I'll be cleaning soon with keg washer, I'll just run water in through the liquid out. Just to rinse since I hate running a brush through the dip tube to clean it after stuff has molecularly bonded to it.

Unplug the heating portion of the fermentation chamber in the late spring because there will be no need for heat for the next several months.

Do that...

Plug the heater into the extension cord splitter instead of the Inkbird temperature controller in the fall when things cool down and then wonder if there is something wrong with the refrigerator cooling mechanism because the fermentation chamber just won't get as cold as it used to.

Don't do that!

I brewed a Blue Moon clone and decided that since I had some raspberry extract from L.D. Carlson left over from making a raspberry red ale that tasted artificial, I would use just a little of it in the Blue Moon clone. Yeah, it still tastes artificial and really messes up the flavor of the Blue Moon clone. Don't do that. If you still want to try it, I have half a bottle of the extract left I can send you.

I brewed a Blue Moon clone and decided that since I had some raspberry extract from L.D. Carlson left over from making a raspberry red ale that tasted artificial, I would use just a little of it in the Blue Moon clone. Yeah, it still tastes artificial and really messes up the flavor of the Blue Moon clone. Don't do that. If you still want to try it, I have half a bottle of the extract left I can send you.
It's amazing how small amounts of extract can kill a beer completely.
You didn't add the extract to the whole batch, did you? Indeed, don't do that!

It's bad enough to just ruin one glass by adding 1-3 drops, and your taste buds for the rest of the evening.

It's amazing how small amounts of extract can kill a beer completely.
You didn't add the extract to the whole batch, did you? Indeed, don't do that!

It's bad enough to just ruin one glass by adding 1-3 drops, and your taste buds for the rest of the evening.
I've had such good luck with fruit juice concentrates (mango, passionfruit, blueberry, cherry, pomegranate, but not banana) that I've never felt the need to try an extract.

Don't forget to replace your 6.5 BMB after one of your sons broke it...
Brewed up my Christmas ale a few weeks back and only remembered that I was down a 6.5 gal fermenter after I started the boil and was sanitizing the fermenter that I still had. All that I had that would in my ferm chamber was a 5 gal better bottle. Of course I hit my volume and had 12 gal wort.
Filled them up, hooked up some blow off tubes into a gal pickle jar and prepped for what was going to be a pretty active fermentation. Came home to find this (no surprise):

Bringing 11.5 gallons worth of space to 12 gallon brew day, don't do that

Attachments

• 54842.jpeg
    54842.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
After taking a gravity reading, don't casually plunk your hydrometer into that 5 gallon bucket of cleaning solution. It will shoot straight down to the bottom and break the tip off, spilling hundreds of tiny bead weights.

Don't get so embroiled in a new hobby (anyone need a knitted beanie? Seriously, I've got bunches) that you leave brewing too late, to the point you have to brew two kveik batches in one weekend just to get the pipeline to minimum. Husband's tagline used to be 'you're brewing again?' Now it's 'You haven't brewed in a while, aren't we going to run out?' Also he's getting a bit tired of yarn ends all over the house.

Don't get so embroiled in a new hobby (anyone need a knitted beanie? Seriously, I've got bunches) that you leave brewing too late, to the point you have to brew two kveik batches in one weekend just to get the pipeline to minimum. Husband's tagline used to be 'you're brewing again?' Now it's 'You haven't brewed in a while, aren't we going to run out?' Also he's getting a bit tired of yarn ends all over the house.
Knitted BIAB kettle cosies?

i'll even pay for the yarn+shipping, and drink a homebrew in your honor! should i measure my brain size for a custom one? 🤔
One size only my dear, that's the fun of a knitting machine. The way your brain works sometimes I don't know if I have enough yarn.....

Back