Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumped all my grain in the kettle to mash. 60 minutes later I went to pull the BIAB. It wasn't there... still sitting on my brewtable.

Don't do that.
Here, you forgot to add :drunk:

You didn't mention, but did you mill it beforehand...?
When you noticed that stirring the mash was so much easier than ever before, didn't that tip you off, right there and then?

Here, you forgot to add :drunk:

You didn't mention, but did you mill it beforehand...?
When you noticed that stirring the mash was so much easier than ever before, didn't that tip you off, right there and then?

Yep, they were milled. It would have tipped me off but I was using a new kettle. Guess I got a little excited!

You should have seen the post filtration process....

Congrats with your new kettle! Larger, roomier one, huh?

Thanks and yes I did, 15gal Spike. It's amazing.
20200214_154207.jpg

Sadly, we can only imagine. Pictures, or it didn't happen! ;)

Could it make decoction mashing look like a neat parlor activity?

Imagine a decoction mash with a 1 cup hand strainer...fortunately it was only a 5 gallon batch. I ended up having to gelatin it to get all the suspended solids out. And there were witnesses...or as I like to say, accomplices.

Imagine a decoction mash with a 1 cup hand strainer...fortunately it was only a 5 gallon batch. I ended up having to gelatin it to get all the suspended solids out. And there were witnesses...or as I like to say, accomplices.

I have a multitude of buckets around. I probably would have poured the mash into 2 of those buckets, rinsed my kettle, added the bag, and poured it back.

Bought my grains pre-crushed by LHBS. Mashed and everything was nice, until I took a gravity sample and saw it's at 1.032, and not at 1.070 I aimed for. Turns out LHBS forgot to mill my 3.9kgs of Maris Otter and I didn't notice in my haste to get all the grains in the cooler box.

So, mashing with hole grains.

Don't do that.

Bought my grains pre-crushed by LHBS. Mashed and everything was nice, until I took a gravity sample and saw it's at 1.032, and not at 1.070 I aimed for. Turns out LHBS forgot to mill my 3.9kgs of Maris Otter and I didn't notice in my haste to get all the grains in the cooler box.

So, mashing with hole grains.

Don't do that.
put them in the over at 300 and make your own crystal malt. :mug:

Was so excited to do my first lager with a yeast starter- a pilsner.
Knew it would be in the fermentor for an extended amount of time, so took extra care to clean & sanitize everything.
Double checked all my measurements, grain crush, hops, etc.
Did it all very carefully, double checked everything.
Coming up on the first week of fermenting, it is steadily bubbling away.
Had a minute today, figured i'd plug the starting plato into my refractometer calculator sheet...
Oops!! In all my attention to details, failed to get a starting gravity measurement.

No big deal, it's a lager. It will still taste good.

Forgot to write down the amount of wort in my new steel fermenter, totally forgetting that unlike buckets, you can't see anything from the outside.... Had to open it just to check how much priming sugar I needed.... Don't do that

They say to add simple sugar to the fermenter after primary fermentation is near complete so the yeast don't get lazy and just go for the easy sugar first first. With the intent of making up a few missing gravity points I poured a couple ounces of dry table sugar in the top of the fermenter. Thousands of tiny nucleation points and copious amounts of foam . . . Don't do that!

When replacing hoses on your kegerator, don't use a propane torch to soften the hose, don't leave the torch in the general area where you are working, and don't forget that it is still hot. Lastly, don't accidentally touch it and burn yourself.
Or, leave the boiling hot water you used in a spot where you can easily knock it over... torch seems like a smarter idea!!

Don't start a 1-hour boil in the middle of the winter in the kitchen with all the doors and windows closed because we're going through a cold front, and then leave the area to do something else. And then, when the timer sounds, go back to see water dripping off everything because 1 hour of rapid boiling has created so much steam everything in the kitchen is wet, including every bottle, tin or bag in the pantry, all the windows and even the countertops.

Don't do that.

Don't start a 1-hour boil in the middle of the winter in the kitchen with all the doors and windows closed because we're going through a cold front, and then leave the area to do something else. And then, when the timer sounds, go back to see water dripping off everything because 1 hour of rapid boiling has created so much steam everything in the kitchen is wet, including every bottle, tin or bag in the pantry, all the windows and even the countertops.

Don't do that.

And if you do that, don't fail to look up and notice the 1/2" deep pool condensed inside the bowls of the light fittings. Then when you finally do notice, don't pour the contents of said light fittings on yourself because one of the spring clips holding the fittings is stronger than the rest.

Don't do that.

And if you do that, don't fail to look up and notice the 1/2" deep pool condensed inside the bowls of the light fittings. Then when you finally do notice, don't pour the contents of said light fittings on yourself because one of the spring clips holding the fittings is stronger than the rest.

Don't do that.
Haha I haven't checked, but we actually have one of those bowl fittings in the kitchen. Will have to take a look when I get there again...

1 hour of rapid boiling has created so much steam everything in the kitchen is wet,
I brew in the kitchen. Don't forget there's wort in the condensate too (carryover). I had brown drips on many walls and ceilings throughout the whole house due to a similar "oversight," not using a fan to the outside.

Don't do that!

I now use a box fan in the window right above the kettle.

Dont leave your 13 psi pressurized empty fermenter on the kitchen counter when your very awesome wife wants to be helpful and decides she will clean it for you... she started with the 1.5" TC bottom dump valve.
We are still finding trub in places all over the house.
I was so stupid for not venting pressure. This could have been a serious accident. Now it is fun to clean up newly discovered dried drops constantly.

I brew in the kitchen. Don't forget there's wort in the condensate too (carryover). I had brown drips on many walls and ceilings throughout the whole house due to a similar "oversight," not using a fan to the outside.

Don't do that!

I now use a box fan in the window right above the kettle.
OK so this actually prompted me to take a look in the room where I've brewed about 12 batches over the past month or so. I now have to re-paint the wall closest to the boil kettle because the drips can't be washed off and my wife noticed me looking. Yay.

OK so this actually prompted me to take a look in the room where I've brewed about 12 batches over the past month or so. I now have to re-paint the wall closest to the boil kettle because the drips can't be washed off and my wife noticed me looking. Yay.
Invest in some wort coloured paint.

Sounds like a plan. But now, what colour wort? Pale ale? Vienna lager? IRA? Stout?
Ooh, that's too permanent and might lock you into a particular brew... just take a sample of what's behind the kettle to get a paint colour match, and paint the rest of the room to match the kettle-wall instead! :cool:

Don't turn the heat lamp in the ferment fridge on, in preparation for raising the temperature for the currently fermenting lager's d-rest, without FIRST checking to be sure said heat lamp is plugged into the controller, not the wall. One hour later and the controller read 83, up from 55. Quickly fixed the mistake but not before the husband noticed and proceeded to freak out that his favorite lager would be ruined. Down to 49 tonight (this happened last night) and hoping I didn't ruin it.

Sounds like a plan. But now, what colour wort? Pale ale? Vienna lager? IRA? Stout?
Stout color for sure, I think any wort stain will not be noticeable there, luckily I have tiles in the kitchen so it's pretty easy to clean, but I have colored them many times with wort haha but a cloth with warm water always makes the trick, maybe consider tiling the kettle wall, the wife might be even happy with it if nice tiles are used hahaha

DO check all your gasket connections on your fermenter.

Started a pilsner with a 2L starter. Left it go for 3 days. No visible activity, no visible signs of fermentation. Pitched 2 more packets of lager yeast. Waited 2 days. Still no signs of fermentation. Pitched a smack pack of Ale yeast in an attempt to save it. STILL no activity.

Looked at the fermenter. Noticed a rolled gasket sticking out of the lid. Opened fermenter to see beautiful krausen formed on the wort. Fixed up the lid, now it is currently bubbling away with 4 packets of yeast pitched into it!

Do not be hasty. Do not trust the airlock!

60 batches, and I am ashamed of myself...:smh:

Are you pitching somehow that doesn't involve opening the fermenter?

It wasnt the main connection in the top of the fermenter. It was the very top port on a Speidel, above the big connection where you would pitch the yeast. :confused:

It wasnt the main connection in the top of the fermenter. It was the very top port on a Speidel, above the big connection where you would pitch the yeast. :confused:
I just bought a 30L Speidel. About to brew a Paulaner clone in it as the first test. That thing has a big-ass airlock.

Brewed a tropical ipa last week using Kveik yeast and galaxy/citra/Idaho7 hops. Kegged it, chilled it, then put it on gas for a couple days. Poured my first pint earlier today, then another, and another. I'm on the back patio enjoying the last few swigs when my wife yells something about water in the garage. Well that can't be good, (understatement). I go into the garage, hmmm, smells peachy, like my beer. IT SMELLS LIKE MY BEER!!!! My setup is kind of ghetto. Just an old fridge with my CO2 tank, a three-way distributor, and two 5 gallon corny kegs with picnic taps. I usually hook my picnic tap on top of the keg. Apparently, and unnoticed by me when I hooked it after drawing my last beer, it was pushed awkwardly against the top rubber handle of the keg such that it was "on" and drawing beer. Yep, I drank three pints of a brand new beer and the rest went all inside the fridge and onto the garage floor. Oh, and it also drained my 20# CO2 tank, which was actually already almost empty anyway. All this because I didn't carefully check how I placed the picnic tap after filling my beer. Don't. do. that!!

Not that I can help it, but DON'T get a migraine in the middle of a brew session; mine start with the flashy things in my eyes to the point that I have trouble reading. They usually go away in about 20 minutes so the currently recirculating mash is going to go a bit longer than planned. Had one during yesterday's session too, garage is well ventilated so I don't think it's propane fumes causing it. Oh, and another; DON'T assume you have enough propane to at least get the strike hot. Had to run to the gas station at 5am this morning to exchange, luckily got their last tank. Between that and this stupid migraine brewday just got extended by at least an hour. This post took about 10 minutes to write.

Not that I can help it, but DON'T get a migraine in the middle of a brew session; mine start with the flashy things in my eyes to the point that I have trouble reading. They usually go away in about 20 minutes so the currently recirculating mash is going to go a bit longer than planned. Had one during yesterday's session too, garage is well ventilated so I don't think it's propane fumes causing it. Oh, and another; DON'T assume you have enough propane to at least get the strike hot. Had to run to the gas station at 5am this morning to exchange, luckily got their last tank. Between that and this stupid migraine brewday just got extended by at least an hour. This post took about 10 minutes to write.
That's dedication.

Don't leave your element select on HLT with no sparge water flowing through the tee where the probe is so the PID drives the element 100%. Don't leave it like that until enough water boils off to uncover 1" of the element, which is glowing red before you notice.

Don't do that.

Back