Do I have enough Diastatic Power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomslang

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Each year I brew a Landmark brew; something imperial in strength, to celebrate another year of brewing. This year I'm doing an Imperial Saison, but my base malts are bohemian pilsner and wheat.

Pilsner = 63.5%
Wheat = 23.8%
Rye = 9.5%
Belgian Candi Sugar 5L = 3.2%

I'm worried that the larger use of wheat and rye in this beer may mean I don't get enough conversion in the mash. Would someone please have a quick look at this and let me know if I'm setting myself up to fail here? If so, some recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Peace x

Hey folks,

Each year I brew a Landmark brew; something imperial in strength, to celebrate another year of brewing. This year I'm doing an Imperial Saison, but my base malts are bohemian pilsner and wheat.

Pilsner = 63.5%
Wheat = 23.8%
Rye = 9.5%
Belgian Candi Sugar 5L = 3.2%

I'm worried that the larger use of wheat and rye in this beer may mean I don't get enough conversion in the mash. Would someone please have a quick look at this and let me know if I'm setting myself up to fail here? If so, some recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Peace x
Pilsner malt can usually handle 50% non diastatic starch sources, you are below that number, so all good!

Wheat flakes or Wheat malt?
Rye flakes or Rye malt?
Ignore the sugars, they're not mashed.

The average DP of your grist mix should be 30° Lintner or higher to get complete conversion. I always aim for at least 35-40° Lintner.

Assuming all of those other grains are flakes, not malt, and knowing Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner is usually undermodified, it would be nice to know what its DP is. But if you don't...
You've got about 65% Pilsner (excl. sugar) so its DP should be at least 30/.65 = 46° Lintner to convert the whole batch. I think you've got it covered. You could always mash longer if an iodine test is positive after an hour.

Wheat flakes or Wheat malt?
Rye flakes or Rye malt?
Ignore the sugars, they're not mashed.

The average DP of your grist mix should be 30° Lintner or higher to get complete conversion. I always aim for at least 35-40° Lintner.

Assuming all of those other grains are flakes, not malt, and knowing Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner is usually undermodified, it would be nice to know what its DP is. But if you don't...
You've got about 65% Pilsner (excl. sugar) so its DP should be at least 30/.65 = 46° Lintner to convert the whole batch. I think you've got it covered. You could always mash longer if an iodine test is positive after an hour.

Brilliant mate, thanks for the reply.

Back