Is 54 Diastatic Power enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayou Fatma Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do any Brewers research the Diastatic Power (DP) of their Home-brew Malts/Recipe’s ?
I’m putting together an English Strong Bitter but the small amounts of Crystal Malts and the Roasted Malts knock the DP down to 54. I know it should be above 35 but was concerned about having a DP of 54.
Should I mash longer ? I brew 5 gallons using BIAB method and don’t want a 6+ hour brew day to be wasted.
Any advice on a DP of 54 and if that’s enough for conversion?

What is your complete grain bill? DP of only 54 for "small amounts" of crystal and roasted malts seems unlikely if the vast majority of the grain bill is base malts (typical DP > 100.)

Brew on :mug:

I've always been under the impression that crystal malts do not require receiving diastatic powers from base malts to release their sugar content. Just the heat of the mash water itself.

I've always been under the impression that crystal malts do not require receiving diastatic powers from base malts to release their sugar content. Just the heat of the mash water itself.
Most crystals still contain starches. While it's ok to just steep most of them, you won't get the starches this way. Also the longer sugars from the crystal might get chopped shorter ie. more fermentable when enzymes are present during the mash.

Most crystals still contain starches. While it's ok to just steep most of them, you won't get the starches this way. Also the longer sugars from the crystal might get chopped shorter ie. more fermentable when enzymes are present during the mash.
I will be mashing but was under the impression that Crystal, Speciality and Roasted Malts have zero DP

Last edited:
Crystal malts have already been converted before roasting. Everything thing else has only been kilned and roasted.

Crystal malts have already been converted before roasting. Everything thing else has only been kilned and roasted.

An experiment that show differences between mashing and steeping:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/testing-fermentability-of-crystal-malt.208361/

Last edited:
https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-golden-promise/Simpsons Golden Promise:
Diastatic Power IOB "Dry": Min 45 - Max 70

https://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/the-1823-heritage-collection/maris-otter-finest-ale-malt/Bairds Maris Otter Finest Ale Malt:
Diastatic Power IOB: Min 60

So at a minimum your average DP will be around 45.* But the actual DP depends on the DP of the malts on hand, and for those you'd have to look up their lot number data.

I'd do an Iodine test after 60 minutes mash, that should tell you if it needs more time.

* (5*45 + 5*60) / 11.5 lbs = (225+300) / 11.5 = 45.7

Well I brewed it and came out with 1.060 OG. Mash 5.36 @ 15 minute.
Efficiency was 77% tasted nice from the Hydrometer Tube. Guess it’s gonna be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The DP ranges for those two base malts are huge. Definitely need lot based data to calculate a legit number for the mash, but it does appear even worst case it'll be above 40...

Cheers!
I use Brewers Friend software. That’s where I got the DP-54. My Mash was 5.36 at 15 minutes. Most of my Brews are around 88 DP or higher. I was worried about the DP 54 but I guess it worked out. Was a brutal Brew day. Temperatures were pushing 96 + degrees out there. 🥵 Might name it Brutal Brew 🍺 😆

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back