Didn't sanitize kettle spigot before transferring to fermemter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiBrewzzz

Reaction score
I had a buddy over and we made a batch. He's a blabbermouth so I was distracted and forgot to sanitize the kettle spigot before transferring to fermemter. I keep kettle very clean and normally run PBW through spigot after each brew. How worried should I be about infection?

Oh golly, you probably infected your wort with millions of bacteria from that....and then you pitched a couple hundred billion of yeast cells which will quickly make the conditions very inhospitable to bacteria growth. Besides, if your wort did get infected, there isn't anything reasonable to do about it so don't worry until you see a good reason to worry.

It happens. Agree w/ MaxStout. You are probably fine. I use an immersion chiller and usually run 1-2 oz of boiling wort through the previously cleaned kettle drain valve at flameout, then cover the drain spout w/ some foil while chilling. After that, I attach a sanitized tube to drain to the fermenter. Never had a problem.

Sanitized spigot…?

Attachments

• C6D46DE7-7DCD-4AA3-B871-E789C4177D29.jpeg
    C6D46DE7-7DCD-4AA3-B871-E789C4177D29.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 62
I had a buddy over and we made a batch. He's a blabbermouth so I was distracted and forgot to sanitize the kettle spigot before transferring to fermemter. I keep kettle very clean and normally run PBW through spigot after each brew. How worried should I be about infection?
This exact scenario happens to me about every other batch. So far, so good - but as a matter of fact, my current batch in the (non-transparent) fermenter went through a non-sanitized spigot and is slated for packaging this weekend. Wish me luck lol.

With the heat washing up the side of my kettle during the boil, I'm pretty certain that there is nothing alive in the spigot and likely the ball valve. But I do clean everything thoroughly after each brew session.

My general consensus is that infection on the cold side of the ball valve is plausible but not probable. I like to spray some star-san up there before draining just because it can't hurt. :cool:

Forgot to spray my spigot for a batch of ESB a while back. Beer turned out fine, was definitely drinkable, but there was an issue with the head not sticking around. Also, when the head dissipated, it was clumpy and not consistent, if that makes sense. There was for sure something going on from that spigot, and once I got over the beer not looking as nice from the top down I was okay with it. YMMV.

I have a pump and circulate hot wort the last 5 minutes of the boil through the pump and lines to sanitize. This takes care of any worry of the valves, pump or lines causing problems. I do pump a hot PBW solution through the valves, lines and pump every couple of brews. And breakdown the 3-piece valves and boil and clean them every few brews.

Whoa! Hold on... You're supposed to sanitize those things? Since when?!

Relax, provided you pitched big and healthy, you're cool.

Joking aside, how often do you break down your valve and clean it? I wouldn't worry about missing a few squirts of sanitizer up the nipple, but I do break down my valves and clean them quarterly.

Last edited:
Brewing for almost 18 years. Never sanitized the brew pot valve before putting in fermenter. Ever. The heat from your boil keeps it all sterile. Don't do it at my Brewpub either.

Mine always gets removed and cleaned along with the element and all. Probably not really needed.

stupid question. We worry about sanitation like crazy. We obsess over it. We all do. What about those German farmers brewing in completely unsanitary conditions 200 years ago down in their basements. They had no star san. How do I reconcile that in my mind? How did they sanitize? I'm serious. Were they worried about it or did they even know about microbes?

Back