Degassing / Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No just fresh strawberries. Do you know degassing is done? Visual bubbles are no longer present with the vac pump?

Fruit wines generally don't require degassing, they sit long enough for the gas to come out on its own. Kits, because of the rush to bottle, need degassed.

My desire is to bottle soon. Hence degassing. Thanks

If the wine is completely clear, and no longer dropping ANY lees at all after at least 60 days, then it's ok to bottle.

There isn't any reason to degas, but it probably won't hurt. It will take longer for the lees to fall out though, after whipping the wine up.

Thanks buddy. In my experience in the past, the residual gas effected the taste. But it's been two years since I made wine so I may be in idiot mode.

Thanks buddy. In my experience in the past, the residual gas effected the taste. But it's been two years since I made wine so I may be in idiot mode.

Oh, residual gas can certainly affect the taste! But normally at warm temperatures, the wine will degas naturally even before it's clear so it often not a concern at all. I've had a couple of wines that I needed to degas over the last 20+ years. One was last year- it was a one-year-old chokecherry wine that just held onto the gas. There was another one (a mead) that I degassed. But otherwise, it's usually not necessary as it degasses really well on its own.

Back