DDT 10.10 // euro basements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzword

Reaction score
ok so it's already mid-day where I am in Stockholm. I just left Brussels this morning, and there is decent internet on this train, so let me tell you about yesterday.

I was skeptical of Delirium Bar in Brussels since my only frame of reference is the Delirium Tremens stuff that comes in the weird concrete looking bottles. That stuff? I don't like that stuff. However, I was assured that it's a worthwhile experience, but one that requires - like many good experiences - some effort. Not for the passive beer drinker.

First off, there are 3 or 4 levels, and at least as many sub-bars within Delirium, and the beer list is the size of a thick magazine. Maybe more like a thin book. Whatever - they sell the menu itself for €5 so you can take it home. We chose the downstairs bar which was jam packed with sweaty tourists. There are two experiences here - the "get to know the bartender" experience, and the "sit at a table in the back and ignore people" one. We chose the former, and it paid off.

I thumbed through the book for a minute, and asked for a St. Lamvinus. Tom the bartender returned, apologizing profusely because they were sold out - this is what he brought as a consolation prize:

l8zqMWo.jpg

xWVkExr.jpg

Uhhhhh -- 2007 3F Schaarbeekse Kriek? For €13.50? Done deal, thanks Tom! Such earthy musk, and still a ton of tart cherry flavor. It hadn't faded at all, at least in comparison to newer bottles of this I've had. With that gone, I just said bring me something else, and Tom returned with this:

hGGUjWT.jpg

2006 Kriek Boon? For €10?! Ok. I'll take it. Not quite as good as the 3F before it, but still fantastic. More tartness, and less of that musky funk that vintage 3F does so well. Ok, what's next, Tom:

hfLX143.jpg

2004 Boon Gueuze Mariage Parfait. I think this one was something like €11. VERY funky and earthy, but also that gumline attacking tartness you'd expect from a 10 y/o gueuze. Hashtag worth it. Next? I just told Tom to bring something old. He delivered this:

PD1ej5m.jpg

2009 Horal's Oude Gueuze Mega Blend. Like any good gueuze, this is remarkably complex. I'm sure lots of you know about this - it's some sort of collective that contributes lambic of various ages to the overall blend. It is FAR greater than the sum of its parts, and not something I ever really come across in the US. For €18 - the same price as the current vintage in the local beer shops - it was a really fun thing to get.

By this point, we were pretty well on our way, especially after my sister dropped the plastic bag with the Quetsche Tilquin in it, which broke on impact. I snipped the corner of the bag off and poured it into a glass and drank a bunch before realizing it probably had some glass in it. Whatever.

Tom asked what we might want next, and I just said "anything older from Cantillon or 3F." He nodded and returned with this:

whbsEm8.jpg

For what it's worth, I think it's really funny that the thing I wanted in the first place is what he came out with - but from 2008. I think this one was €14. Older St. Lam has been a crapshoot for me in the past. Something about the grape flavor turning weird and ending up tasting like bad wine is what I remember, but this was nothing like that. It was a real
treat, with subtle flavor from the Merlot grapes, and a tartness that wouldn't quit. I was pretty fried at this point, and my sister was hammered and not really drinking more, so I basically chugged her glass.

Well then this funny thing happened where Tom's friends came in to drink, and one of them used to work there. He was making fun of Tom a bit for not being super familiar with the cellar, so he himself went back there to grab stuff and came out with these Hanssen's 375mL bottles - one Oudbeitje and one experimental raspberry. They were both decent, but nothing to write a million words about. Still a nice treat, especially considering the price - FR€€!!

o5iI15g.jpg

lt4jR1K.jpg

We thanked Tom and his friends, stumbled up the stairs, and immediately picked up a trailer - some guy from Senegal (he said...) who was still drinking from his Westmalle glass while he followed us up the street. I was pretty much in a brownout, so I don't really know what his angle was, but he took us on a wild goose chase back to our hotel, which was only about a 5 minute walk, but seemed to take forever. Like I said though, I was browned out so time was not something with which I was keenly familiar.

TL;DR -- DO make friends with the bartenders downstairs at Delirium. DO NOT make friends with itinerant Senegalese "guides".

Great success.

ok so it's already mid-day where I am in Stockholm. I just left Brussels this morning, and there is decent internet on this train, so let me tell you about yesterday.

I was skeptical of Delirium Bar in Brussels since my only frame of reference is the Delirium Tremens stuff that comes in the weird concrete looking bottles. That stuff? I don't like that stuff. However, I was assured that it's a worthwhile experience, but one that requires - like many good experiences - some effort. Not for the passive beer drinker.

First off, there are 3 or 4 levels, and at least as many sub-bars within Delirium, and the beer list is the size of a thick magazine. Maybe more like a thin book. Whatever - they sell the menu itself for €5 so you can take it home. We chose the downstairs bar which was jam packed with sweaty tourists. There are two experiences here - the "get to know the bartender" experience, and the "sit at a table in the back and ignore people" one. We chose the former, and it paid off.

I thumbed through the book for a minute, and asked for a St. Lamvinus. Tom the bartender returned, apologizing profusely because they were sold out - this is what he brought as a consolation prize:

l8zqMWo.jpg

xWVkExr.jpg

Uhhhhh -- 2007 3F Schaarbeekse Kriek? For €13.50? Done deal, thanks Tom! Such earthy musk, and still a ton of tart cherry flavor. It hadn't faded at all, at least in comparison to newer bottles of this I've had. With that gone, I just said bring me something else, and Tom returned with this:

hGGUjWT.jpg

2006 Kriek Boon? For €10?! Ok. I'll take it. Not quite as good as the 3F before it, but still fantastic. More tartness, and less of that musky funk that vintage 3F does so well. Ok, what's next, Tom:

hfLX143.jpg

2004 Boon Gueuze Mariage Parfait. I think this one was something like €11. VERY funky and earthy, but also that gumline attacking tartness you'd expect from a 10 y/o gueuze. Hashtag worth it. Next? I just told Tom to bring something old. He delivered this:

PD1ej5m.jpg

2009 Horal's Oude Gueuze Mega Blend. Like any good gueuze, this is remarkably complex. I'm sure lots of you know about this - it's some sort of collective that contributes lambic of various ages to the overall blend. It is FAR greater than the sum of its parts, and not something I ever really come across in the US. For €18 - the same price as the current vintage in the local beer shops - it was a really fun thing to get.

By this point, we were pretty well on our way, especially after my sister dropped the plastic bag with the Quetsche Tilquin in it, which broke on impact. I snipped the corner of the bag off and poured it into a glass and drank a bunch before realizing it probably had some glass in it. Whatever.

Tom asked what we might want next, and I just said "anything older from Cantillon or 3F." He nodded and returned with this:

whbsEm8.jpg

For what it's worth, I think it's really funny that the thing I wanted in the first place is what he came out with - but from 2008. I think this one was €14. Older St. Lam has been a crapshoot for me in the past. Something about the grape flavor turning weird and ending up tasting like bad wine is what I remember, but this was nothing like that. It was a real
treat, with subtle flavor from the Merlot grapes, and a tartness that wouldn't quit. I was pretty fried at this point, and my sister was hammered and not really drinking more, so I basically chugged her glass.

Well then this funny thing happened where Tom's friends came in to drink, and one of them used to work there. He was making fun of Tom a bit for not being super familiar with the cellar, so he himself went back there to grab stuff and came out with these Hanssen's 375mL bottles - one Oudbeitje and one experimental raspberry. They were both decent, but nothing to write a million words about. Still a nice treat, especially considering the price - FR€€!!

o5iI15g.jpg

lt4jR1K.jpg

We thanked Tom and his friends, stumbled up the stairs, and immediately picked up a trailer - some guy from Senegal (he said...) who was still drinking from his Westmalle glass while he followed us up the street. I was pretty much in a brownout, so I don't really know what his angle was, but he took us on a wild goose chase back to our hotel, which was only about a 5 minute walk, but seemed to take forever. Like I said though, I was browned out so time was not something with which I was keenly familiar.

TL;DR -- DO make friends with the bartenders downstairs at Delirium. DO NOT make friends with itinerant Senegalese "guides".

Great success.
tumblr_nd6e4aHGDL1tl7j2uo1_500.gif

So jealous bro...

l8zqMWo.jpg

xWVkExr.jpg

hGGUjWT.jpg

hfLX143.jpg

PD1ej5m.jpg

whbsEm8.jpg

o5iI15g.jpg

lt4jR1K.jpg

Great success.

LOL this bar was so turned up last time I was there. People dancing on tables at 3am etc...

Well, after months and months of looking forward to this week, I'm in Scotland with my folks for a golf/sightseeing/drinking adventure.

We arrived in Edinburgh, hopped in our rental car and drove (on the left side, a first for me) up towards Inverness. Stopped for lunch in a cute town called Pitlochry and I had my first two real ales of the trip from a local brewery called Strathbraan. The bitter was tasty, the blonde not as much.

NM0pzj2.jpeg

First off, Stockholm is absurdly beautiful. Here's a sample...

yb916ZG.png

Went to Akkurat this evening. The vintage menu is completely overwhelming! Seeing the 2009 Horal's blend on the menu for 995 KR (~$140) was validation that the bartenders at Delirium in Brussels are awesome.

r2Bsqh3.jpg

Crazy. Anyway, blabaer might like (or dislike...) knowing that a certain Konjaks Stormaktsporter is available. At great expense.

xxQGoQ3.jpg

After seeing the empties at Cantillon the last couple of days, I took a few minutes to think through my choices. I enjoyed a Rose de Gambrinus on draft while I thought.

6hXpvfo.jpg

I finally decided. Cloudberries aren't something I've had in raw form, which is unsurprising. Similarly unsurprising is the fact I haven't tried Cantillon Soleil de Minuit before - until tonight.

QOn7ZRl.jpg

UC4jjbs.jpg

It poured a golden color with a decent head, and smelled strongly of band-aids. I think this needs a few more years in the bottle to clean up the heavily phenolic nose and taste, but if you can ignore that, it's great! It was really kind of a chore to get through - would not smash again.

stupac2 recommended I buy the 1998 Hanssens gueuze. Done and done!

Fze5I9Y.jpg

This had allllll the barnyard and not much tartness. Some barely detectable citrus flavors. Great carbonation, and really cheap for a 16 y/o gueuze!

After leaving Akkurat, and driven by nothing but morbid curiousity, we had some reaaaally weird/bad "Mexican" "food". This was accompanied by the local adjunct lager, which also tasted super iron-y. Whatever

pOe6WsV.jpg

that's about it! Oh - the 2012 Zwanze we drank at Cantillon yesterday was fantastic. Made me remember how much I love rhubarb stuff. VERY tasty.

dGQIGKu.jpg

Julie remembered us since we went three days in a row and gave us several glasses of Kriek and Gueuze. No pix, no care. Her sense of humor is so deadpan and hilarious! Her and the other people we met working there - including Jean Van Roy - are such nice people, in stark contrast to many Belgians we came across. I can't believe someone would steal from them like what happened earlier this year. Stupid. Can't wait to go back!

Last edited:

Here's a great argument in favor of bottle dating rather than "by best" dates. I picked a 4-pack of these up at my local store, interested in trying the new recipe. I figured "best by 1/1/15" meant these had to be pretty fresh. Then I get Green Bullet the other day, which I know is fresh (or, at least as fresh as Green Flash gets in South Carolina) because they just came in, and they have "best by 2/18/15". So this is presumably almost two months older. I'm hardly the one to think IPAs need to get dumped after a month or anything, but it was just a bit disappointing because I'd heard anecdotally this beer is really good fresh but falls of fast (any San Diego TBers want to chime in?). It also suggests the beer could sit on the shelf for almost a half-year and still not be much past its print best-by date, which seems excessive.

All complaining aside, it's still tasty.

stupac2 recommended I buy the 1998 Hanssens gueuze. Done and done!

Fze5I9Y.jpg

This had allllll the barnyard and not much tartness. Some barely detectable citrus flavors. Great carbonation, and really cheap for a 16 y/o gueuze!
How much did it end up being? I remember it as being $15, which only a hair over what that retails for here new. There's no doubt in my mind that that's the best deal on the menu.

How much did it end up being? I remember it as being $15, which only a hair over what that retails for here new. There's no doubt in my mind that that's the best deal on the menu.
I think that's about right - thanks for the heads up!

Vacation officially began about 30 mins ago!

ufcgnMj.jpg

My wife brought a few a these home a couple of days ago, they will leftover at an event she helped with. Free beer...don't mind if I do.

And I too will be drinking some fine Belgian Beers like buzzword in just a few short days. :D

Make that a double.

clcPAsH.jpg

Vacation.

Back