Could yeast become extinct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about yeast and the thought came to me that maybe yeast could suffer some sort of epidemic. Like what if some disease catastrophically infected them or mutated them into something that doesn't... make... beer...

THAT would be the end of the world for sure.

Is that possible? Like, we know antibiotics and bacteria are constantly evolving in comptetition with one another, could something like that occur with yeast, especially since we are isolating it more and more, and reproducing it more and more? Or like in-breeding with domesticated animals causes problems, could there be issues for reproducing yeast strains?

Sounds like a great premise for the most terrifying sci-fi novel ever.

But I would think that between White Labs, Wyeast, Fermentis, Lallemand, and all the homebrewers slanting their own yeast, there will always be some cells that survive the cataclysm. I'd like to see your yeast zombie virus eat through a test tube!

As a woman, I don't think lack of yeast would ever be a problem. :drunk:

Hahahahahahaha

I was eating a lacto pickle a friend made. She started going on about how it was the same type of yeast found in vaginas, and then proceeded to talk about how one of her aquaintences made a beer or cider by using actual vaginal yeast.

So reading that just reminded me of that rather interesting conversation regarding Jew pickles and vaginas, thanks lol

Or we are breeding SUPER yeast that will take over the world because we have fed it fresh wort... Kinda like the plant in Little Shop of Horror... Feeeeeeeeed me Seymore!

Hahahahahahaha

I was eating a lacto pickle a friend made. She started going on about how it was the same type of yeast found in vaginas, and then proceeded to talk about how one of her aquaintences made a beer or cider by using actual vaginal yeast.

So reading that just reminded me of that rather interesting conversation regarding Jew pickles and vaginas, thanks lol

I thought beard beer was really gross...

Uh yeah... Amen Cyclman. I think I would rather have Bud light than Vagina beer... Just doesn't seem right... well, both sound pretty bad... I need an IPA now...

Hahahahahahaha

I've been wanting to do this ever since I read that Lactobacillus Acidiphillus is found in vaginas. Finding a "host" is proving difficult. Whenever I mention it to a girl at a bar they just either walk away or laugh hysterically, for the laughers I mention that Im serious then they walk away. Science is hard!

As a woman, I don't think lack of yeast would ever be a problem. :drunk:

Hahahahahahaha

This made me *YUCK audibly, then I couldn't stop laughing.

Buncha weirdos on here...

I like knowing all sorts of obscure facts, I think it makes me well rounded.
I want to be a square now that I know that.
pickles and Vagina's? WTF!!

Hahahahahahaha

Just puked in my mouth a little..

This is just flat out grotesque.

Blarneybrew said:
Hahahahahahaha

Either she was messing with you, or her friend was messing with her. I'm pretty sure candida albicans (the fungus that causes vaginal infections) will not convert sugars to alcohol + CO2. Classic urban legend.

Perhaps. But then again these are hippies of the highest order, and I've met a good number of hippies. I dont think the yeast you mentioned was the one though

SpeedYellow said:
Either she was messing with you, or her friend was messing with her. I'm pretty sure candida albicans (the fungus that causes vaginal infections) will not convert sugars to alcohol + CO2. Classic urban legend.

You're right about Candida spp. but how about lacto? I seem to remember a blog post by the mad fermentationist about him doing an all-lacto sour...
Not a yeast though, so I guess you're right.

Back