cinnamon in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnGans

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a cider this weekend to be consumed around thanksgiving. I am planning on aging it over some wood chips and cinnamon sticks. The question is, for a 5 gallon bulk age for 3-4 months, how many cinnamon sticks should I use?

OK that sounds great! How long do you typically leave the cinnamon stick in?

Flavors are subjective and each of us have differing tastes and preferences. I would encourage you to experiment a bit as it really depends upon what flavor profile you prefer.

With that said - I do one stick per gallon and leave them in for 2 weeks. The cinnamon flavor tends to mellow and be less prominent after aging a few to 6 months. As a result it will be a bit over flavored with cinnamon for my taste early on and about right after being aged for 6 months or so.

If you leave it in too long, it gets hot - like Atomic Fireball candy or those little Red Hots. We did 1 or 2 weeks before. I didn't really care for that batch of cider. You might consider using allspice (whole berries) with the cinnamon, because it gives a hint of several spices.

I used half a stick in one gallon for 5-6 weeks in semi-dry cider. The cinnamon was pretty strong/hot when I bottled it.
I've been aging it for almost 5 months now.... I'll wait a little longer.

Latest posts

Back