Quantcast

cinnamon in cider?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JohnGans

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a cider this weekend to be consumed around thanksgiving. I am planning on aging it over some wood chips and cinnamon sticks. The question is, for a 5 gallon bulk age for 3-4 months, how many cinnamon sticks should I use?

OP
J

JohnGans

Reaction score
OK that sounds great! How long do you typically leave the cinnamon stick in?

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Flavors are subjective and each of us have differing tastes and preferences. I would encourage you to experiment a bit as it really depends upon what flavor profile you prefer.

With that said - I do one stick per gallon and leave them in for 2 weeks. The cinnamon flavor tends to mellow and be less prominent after aging a few to 6 months. As a result it will be a bit over flavored with cinnamon for my taste early on and about right after being aged for 6 months or so.

ericbw

Reaction score
If you leave it in too long, it gets hot - like Atomic Fireball candy or those little Red Hots. We did 1 or 2 weeks before. I didn't really care for that batch of cider. You might consider using allspice (whole berries) with the cinnamon, because it gives a hint of several spices.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used half a stick in one gallon for 5-6 weeks in semi-dry cider. The cinnamon was pretty strong/hot when I bottled it.
I've been aging it for almost 5 months now.... I'll wait a little longer.