Carapils or Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a light, citrusy IPA so I'm keeping the grains simple. People seem to recommend either Carapils or Wheat in small amounts 5-10% to improve head retention etc. What are the properties that each adds to the equation? Is it a one or the other or do you ever use both? Does one go better with certain styles than the other?

I'm looking to make a light, citrusy IPA so I'm keeping the grains simple. People seem to recommend either Carapils or Wheat in small amounts 5-10% to improve head retention etc. What are the properties that each adds to the equation? Is it a one or the other or do you ever use both? Does one go better with certain styles than the other?

I've never done two of the same recipe/process, one with carapils and one with wheat. But, I've used both and the recipe that results in consistently nice head retention--and perfect lacing (which I love for some reason!)--uses carapils. For that reason I purchased 10 lbs of it and plan to put a bit into every recipe (assuming I continue to see that nice retention/lacing).

Another consideration is clarity. In small amounts I doubt it matters, but wheat should give a little haze. So if it's really a toss up between the two, choose carapils if you want clarity, wheat if you want some haze? I know that's a stretch, but just trying to think of any differences.

Another consideration is clarity. In small amounts I doubt it matters, but wheat should give a little haze. So if it's really a toss up between the two, choose carapils if you want clarity, wheat if you want some haze? I know that's a stretch, but just trying to think of any differences.

yeah that's one of the things I was considering, i brewed a Wit a few months ago and it came out a beautiful color but definitely hazy (which is to be expected for the style), I just wasn't sure at what % the wheat starts to cloudy things

All grain or extract brewing? If you are brewing all grain the flaked wheat or flaked barley is what you want for head retention. If you are brewing from extract, use the carapils as it will help with the heading without adding the starch haze that wheat will.

Latest posts

Back