BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The challenge you will have is that there's no "tunneling" or VPN available via the controller so that work will ned to be done to your network and/or devices within it other than the controller.

@LBussy
I understand, will speak to my son about this as it's more his line of work, sounds like tunnelling or vpn type thing is needed.
But the bottom line is yes it's possible but do it by direct dial using a secure number rather than standing on the roof of your house and using a loudhailer.
Yes, I run openVPN on the pi at home. Works great.
Also experimenting with ZeroTier, a litle slower to startup the connections, but great after that. And you do not need any DNS setup.

Hi guys, just wondering if this is the only/Best option to run a brew pi temp controller if you dont want to also have to buy and install software on an RPi? I currently use fermentrack installed on an RPi with 2 brewpi wireless controllers and it works well, but there are some guys at brewclub that have asked if there is another way to access the temp controllers without having to buy a RPi and set it all up.

If you do not want a computer involved, this is the only way in the BrewPi family to do it.

Personally I rather enjoy having the ability to use the RPi for remote access, but that's why they make Fords and Chevys. :)

It's been a while since I posted, I know a few people had mentioned that PlatformIO was a bit of a pain to set up. I thought I'd try to help out and write up a tutorial on how to get it running in case people were still struggling. In case this helps anyone: How to setup BrewPiLess using PlatformIO

I found the documentation, specifically about how to get PlatformIO to select the right com/serial port was lacking. I think this might be what holds a lot of people back who don't have much experience with the command line.

Hope it's helpful!
Awesome tutorial mate thanks for doing this. Im going to tackle it tonight.
You mention step 5 is different for a MAC but you dont mention how to do it on a MAC?

EDIT:- Googled how to do this.. Typed ls /dev/* into terminal and found the port.

Last edited:
The tutorial mentions flashing a ready done brewpiless, is this okay or do I need to go on that code route using platform IO and get into the command line?

Do I need to do anything different when I install via flash for it to use a 1.3 inch oled 128 x 64 display. I see on vitotais page that it says " SSD1306 based 128x64 I2C OLED LCD can be used in place of the 20x4 LCD " is that just automatically done if I wire it in correctly by the program ?

So can connect a 5v .5amp phone power supply to the 5V pin on the esp8266 to power it without any issues?

Does anyone know why my screen keeps doing this every now and again and how to fix it?

brewpiless.jpg

Purely taking a guess but could be a power supply issue? Just about to build my brewpiless temp controller taken so long to get the parts.
Interesting that you say it could be power supply related. I brought a cheap 5v power supply on ebay from China awhile back and didnt use it on my fermentrack brew controllers. I ended up using it in this build though. ill get another power supply and see how it goes.

But having said that it works fine for a week or more then will display this. If I turn it off and back on its fine again for another week or so.

Last edited:
@troyp42

If you think your PSU is good please wait for a real sages advice. Given your info seems less hardware and perhaps software.
All I've learnt over the years is you can't fix failed hardware when you think it's a software issue.

Could be many causes for this hold your horses at the moment.

Screen scrambling is part of the joy of using those displays. I rarely get them, but my case routes the display lines far away from any others.

The other BrewPi-based firmware projects use a periodic screen reset because sometimes this just happens.

Screen scrambling is part of the joy of using those displays. I rarely get them, but my case routes the display lines far away from any others.

The other BrewPi-based firmware projects use a periodic screen reset because sometimes this just happens.
So whats the fix? Re route the display wires? My fermentrack temp controllers refresh every so often and I assume thats why.

Yep, I stole that idea from @Thorrak. You can try to re-route them, or just leave them hanging free for a bit to see if it helps. If it does you know that’s it. If not, raise an issue on GitHub and suggest he refresh the display.

Yep, I stole that idea from @Thorrak. You can try to re-route them, or just leave them hanging free for a bit to see if it helps. If it does you know that’s it. If not, raise an issue on GitHub and suggest he refresh the display.
They are hanging free, they run from the board to the display and arent bunched with any other wires. So this is just a display issue and wont affect my temperature settings at all then? With the other issues Im having with my brewpi/fermntrack controllers this seems to be the most reliable at the moment.

Hi. Is it possible to turn on and off chamber fan from gui? Saw under devices that it's possible to set a pin to chamber fan.

So you're not asking so much if it's possible now but rather you are suggesting an enhancement. The best place to do that is probably the issues list.
Thanks, didn't think of that 🙂
I have two 140mm noctua fans inside my chamber and even though theire not very noisy it would be nice to be able to turn them off when I don't need them 🙂

The fan is controlled by the "core", original BrewPi Arduino code, and it will be turned on if and only if heating or cooling is active.
It's nice that you have all the source code, and so you can do whatever you like.

The fan is controlled by the "core", original BrewPi Arduino code, and it will be turned on if and only if heating or cooling is active.
It's nice that you have all the source code, and so you can do whatever you like.
Thanks, didn't know that 🙂
No need to run the fans when cooling and heating is off?

I have built my brewpiless and configured it,boxed it and pretty pleased. I have been looking at this info on the vitotai wiki

https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/wiki/Log-data-to-clouds
I can't quite workout if I can relay on to Brewspy the ferment info. Brewspys parameters are
service type HTTP
Token theusahusuhasuh asuhaesu
Server address brew-spy.com
Server port 80
Server URL /api/ispindel

Brewspy wants these parameters and I can't work out if that's translatable for the brewpiless to forward on via the log to cloud option.
Any ideas / a worked example of what I should add to get this going please? I suspect the token data will be the downfall

Last edited:
Okay I've done it, built the brewpiless, configured with oled display, two temperature sensors and the ispindel sending to it as well. Thanks for the advice.

I've had the help of Yiannos the brewspy developer and he has given this advice to allow logging to brewspy as well as to the brewpiless webpage.

"Add Generic HTTP Logging with the following options:

Log time period 600 seconds (10 mins) is fine
Service Type: Generic HTTP
Method: POST
URL: http://brew-spy.com/api/ispindel
Data Type: application/json
Format: { token: 'XXX', angle: %t, temperature: %b, gravity: %g, battery: %v }

replace XXX with the token in the setup tab of your ispindel in BrewSpy, keep the quotes (')
If you prefer Plato instead of SG, replace %g with %p "

Don't forget to turn the remote logging option on and also to update and submit on the web page of the logging option.

Last edited:
Back