[email protected], no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Lalo_uy

Reaction score
@LBussy
I understand, will speak to my son about this as it's more his line of work, sounds like tunnelling or vpn type thing is needed.
But the bottom line is yes it's possible but do it by direct dial using a secure number rather than standing on the roof of your house and using a loudhailer.
Yes, I run openVPN on the pi at home. Works great.
Also experimenting with ZeroTier, a litle slower to startup the connections, but great after that. And you do not need any DNS setup.

troyp42

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if this is the only/Best option to run a brew pi temp controller if you dont want to also have to buy and install software on an RPi? I currently use fermentrack installed on an RPi with 2 brewpi wireless controllers and it works well, but there are some guys at brewclub that have asked if there is another way to access the temp controllers without having to buy a RPi and set it all up.

troyp42

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted, I know a few people had mentioned that PlatformIO was a bit of a pain to set up. I thought I'd try to help out and write up a tutorial on how to get it running in case people were still struggling. In case this helps anyone: How to setup BrewPiLess using PlatformIO

I found the documentation, specifically about how to get PlatformIO to select the right com/serial port was lacking. I think this might be what holds a lot of people back who don't have much experience with the command line.

Hope it's helpful!
Awesome tutorial mate thanks for doing this. Im going to tackle it tonight.
You mention step 5 is different for a MAC but you dont mention how to do it on a MAC?

EDIT:- Googled how to do this.. Typed ls /dev/* into terminal and found the port.

Last edited:

DuncB

Reaction score
The tutorial mentions flashing a ready done brewpiless, is this okay or do I need to go on that code route using platform IO and get into the command line?

Do I need to do anything different when I install via flash for it to use a 1.3 inch oled 128 x 64 display. I see on vitotais page that it says " SSD1306 based 128x64 I2C OLED LCD can be used in place of the 20x4 LCD " is that just automatically done if I wire it in correctly by the program ?

troyp42

Reaction score
So can connect a 5v .5amp phone power supply to the 5V pin on the esp8266 to power it without any issues?