Brew Bubbles: Web-Enabled Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you said you tried somethin like this and your code will count anything, so I'm wondering if I can give it a try with this module. It says H2010 on the sensor and the module has 'out', 'gnd', and 'vcc' terminals:
I experimented with one of those early on and I think I still have one somewhere. That's not the biggest problem.
I have an arduino Uno and an ESP01s module I can use. Would that be more trouble than it is worth?
The ESP01 is really limited with what's in practice two pins to use unless we grab the RX/TX. More important than that though is the memory is exceedingly limited at 1MB in the ones I have seen. That means the entire premise of OTA updates would have to be hacked out. So I'll say yes it can be done, but I'm not inclined to make a stripped-down application to cram it into a module that's going to limit things even more with the pins. While a few bucks more, a D1 is readily available in Canada and is really what this application was meant to work with.

The Arduino Uno could do everything but the WiFi, but that's really half the application. Why count bubbles if there's no web app? Strip that out and mostly all you are left with is a serial monitor giving you really boring information.

This looks like the right photointerruptor from Aliexpress for $2.27 CD. This is the D1 Mini for $2.76 CD. I think you'd enjoy the project a lot more with the right parts. That said, I believe the D1 mini will work fine the sensor you have now. I'd connect "OUT" to D1, and VCC and GND appropriately and give it a try.

Thanks Lee,
I certainly don't want you to do any extra work. I will get a D1 mini. Does this one look right? I have ordered stuff online for years, but so far not from Aliexpress and don't think I would change that unless a vendor did paypal. Coincidently, that seemed to be the problem with your PCB supplier, they said they took paypal, but it 'couldn't connect to paypal' and I wasn't inclined to give them my credit card after that. Does anyone know of a Canada or paypal friendly supplier of the PCBs, ideally one that somebody has successfully ordered from and already had the files?
James

wondering if anyone can help? I have assembled my first Brew Bubbles and flashed using the BrewFlasher and flashing BrewBubbles v2 rev 2-0 added power and on my phone and Windows laptop could not find Brew Bubbles network. reflashed with BrewBubbles v2 rev 1-0 and again nothing tried one more time using the the ispindel flasher tool added both firmware.bin and littlefs.bin and again nothing.

Does the led blink on D1 Mini during the flashing or after a reset (pushing the button 4x times)?

Does the led blink on D1 Mini during the flashing or after a reset (pushing the button 4x times)?
It does not flash when I use the BrewFlasher tool but it does when I use the ispindel flasher tool. I used the 0x0000 and the 0x300000 settings.
It did not start blinking after I pushed the button 4xtimes.
Yes to flashing. Not sure what you mean by pushing the button 4 times - the LED flashing (aside from when it detects bubbles) is explained in the docs:
https://docs.brewbubbles.com/en/latest/troubleshooting/index.htmlIf that's not what you mean, let me know.
I am just trying to connect via Wifi right now and it is not populating in my choices of available networks.

OK I have been able to connect. after a lot of flashings I was able to change the serial port to the actual port and not use auto select and that seems to work.

OK I have been able to connect. after a lot of flashings I was able to change the serial port to the actual port and not use auto select and that seems to work.
What sort of system are you flashing from? I know sometimes a Mac will have issues auto-selecting the port.

I did not get a screenshot but it never said it failed and of course i just went to recreate the fail and just my luck it worked.

I have my Brew bubbles all assembled, flashed, and connected... BUT when I add my network SSID and password I am unable to connect to the Home page to see the bubble count.
I have tried the IP adders of 192.168.4.1, and the brewbubbles.local. I have tried the IP my router has assigned the brew bubbles 192.168.0.53.
I have tried on my Windows laptop and my Iphone
What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting close with my little module from Amazon. I flashed the D1 with brewflasher and connected it to the network but only get "404: File not found." at brewbubbles.local. I have tried connecting with Android, iOS, and Windows+bonjour without getting to the brewbubble pages. It seems like maybe the littles.bin file didn't get sent? Does brewflasher do that?

I have it set up with yeast and sugar bubbling through an airlock and it seems to be working .
The signal from the module might be backwards since the light is on for water and off for bubbles. The red light on the module comes on as a bubble passes and the blue on the d1 mini goes off as a bubble passes.

I have tried a double press of the reset button a couple times and just get a series of quick flashes and back to what seems like normal operation mode.

If you are getting lights flashing with bubbles it’s connected to your network and working. Do you have mDNS on the system you are trying to connect with? Have you tried from your phone? Using the IP address?

Not sure about mDNS, which is why I tried connecting with 3 different devices, my phone (android), a Windows PC, and an ipad. How do I find the IP address? I tried 192.168.4.1

Logged into my router, found the ip address and still get "404: File not found"

Last edited:
The Windows system would need Bonjour Print Services installed in order to resolve the name. Unlike a lot of Apple software, it's small, unobtrusive, and performant.

Does the 404 look like this?
Code:
404: File not found.
If so, that's the Brew Bubbles and I'd say that the LittleFS did not flash correctly. Yes, BrewFlasher should have applied that. You might try one more time and see if it goes. If not, try the other method documented here:

https://docs.brewbubbles.com/en/latest/installation/index.html#windows-based-platforms

Thanks Lee,

Does the 404 look like this?
Code:
404: File not found.

Yes, it looks exactly like that .

I installed Bonjour and reflashed with brewflasher. I tried the alternative flashing method and it doesn't run properly on this machine (the open file dialog is hidden). I will maybe try another computer.

Reflashed it to the older of the two version options and it is working now! Thanks!

At least the page is opening . Bubble count is NaN (actually about 4)

Oh now it is 112-116 (but still actually 4 to 6)

Watching it for a while now and it is consistently about 25x too high.

And I did see the tiny icon in the middle of the page :)

Maybe reflash again to the newest version and don't check the erase option ? No, that didn't work either, getting ridiculously high counts, up to 175 bubbles per minute when it is slowing down to something closer to 3. Giving up for a while

Last edited:
2.2.0 doesn't work for you?

1609626452289.png

I didn't have any success until I flashed 1.1, but after that 2.2 worked, although not accurately. The docs say to use dual i/o (DIO). Should it be quad for 2.2?

Where can I get the older version?
I have been having the same issues. I have tried to connect on a 3 different windows laptops, an Iphone, Linux (raspberry Pi), and Mac with no luck on seeing the Home Page (current readings). I can get it to connect to my network but most of the time I get cannot connect or sometimes I get 404 EORROR.
OMG I GOT IT!!!!!!!
Here is what I did. I used the firmware.bin and littlefs.bin from the "Installing the Firmware" documentation page HOWEVER I used ESPressif Tool and the settings from the same page, and I downloaded Bonjour and installed it, BUT the winning change was I turned off Windows Defender firewall.
I added 2 images one from Bonjour about making sure UDP port 5353 is open (if someone knows where that is or how to do that please let me know. and the other image is what I switched off.
Success so far was all achieved on Windows using the IP address.

Attachments

• bonjour.JPG
    bonjour.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 6
  • turn off Firewall.JPG
    turn off Firewall.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 3
Quad or DIO is just how fast the thing will flash. DIO is slower and arguably less error prone but if it says it flashed, it did.

Windows Firewall is interesting. I run it here. I’ll experiment a bit. There’s very little reason why one version or the other would work.

Hi Lee,
I think I got it "working", it just wasn't counting the bubbles correctly. The lights were turning on and off on the module and the D1 mini, and I watched to see if there was any flickering of the lights at the leading and trailing edges of the bubbles, but there wasn't anything to account for the high numbers. I think when I turned it off last night it was showing 275 bpm when it had slowed down to about 3 bpm. If there was some kind of scaling factor it might have been useful, but I didn't see a pattern.

I can only get ver 1.1 to flash correctly. If I don't chose the erase option, 2.2 seems to work, presumably with unerased 1.1 files since if I flash 2.2 again with the erase files option I go back to the 404 message.
James

Last edited:
I'm having issues with my dev machine. If someone could test 2.2.1 I'd appreciate it. Erase flash and see if it works now.

I will try it tonight when I get home, thanks.

Brewflasher only seems to have ver 2-1 and seems to be stalling at the "downloading firmware" step

I've tried a few times and can still do 1-1 but not 2-2

Last edited:
I'm having issues with my dev machine. If someone could test 2.2.1 I'd appreciate it. Erase flash and see if it works now.
Is there a particular configuration you'd like evaluated? I've just upgraded from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 successfully but can test other configurations if it helps?

Chris

Is there a particular configuration you'd like evaluated?
In this case it's the BrewFlasher workflow (which will wipe out your settings.) Use the "erase flash" option to ensure we've tested it properly.

What happened was I had a misconfiguration in the BrewFlasher config, and that meant the LittleFS.bin never applied. The reason it worked for some people and not others is that when they started with a working setup and ran it, it kept the previous LittleFS partition. Selecting "erase" meant that was not going to happen so the configuration mistake was highlighted.
Here is a video to open UDP port 5353
That's weird you have to do that. I've never messed with it (for this.) Is it possible your network is not set up as "Home" and Windows is using a profile that restricts it?

Here's a tool I really like: zeroconfServiceBrowser. It lets you see all of the mDNS broadcasts on your network. It would be a strange thing indeed these days to not have a few other things broadcasting other than Brew Bubbles. This would be a good thing for people to check if they can't get to *.local addresses.

I still get stalled at the downloading firmware stage, do I need to update brewflasher or something?

Downloading is a different issue. Open Windows Explorer and type %temp% into the path bar and hit enter. Then look for firmware.bin and littlefs.bin. Delete those files. Then make sure you close BrewFlasher and try again.

Back