Bad Luck.... guaranteed infection and pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owain

Reaction score
Hello guys in gals, I recently got back into brewing but have probably done 40'ish extract kits over the years.

My third batch since getting back into it was an imperial farmhouse ale that my wife selected. It is by far the biggest beer I have ever done, 11%, so I expected an energetic fermentation. I have a big mouth bubbler which are known for blowing the lid off so I always put several handweights on the lid for prevention. On the very first night in the fermenter this batch blew the lid, weights and all. I caught it early and with so much positive pressure I sealed things back up and didn't worry much.

Today, two weeks later I was transferring to a secondary and found one of the weights in the trub!! The weight was one of the aerobic styles so it has foam padding covering the entire thing , most likely full of funk. The beer war clear while I was transferring. I haven't done a farmhouse all before but it didn't smell terrible, just boozy as hell.

So this has to lead to an infection right? I haven't experienced one before but that weight had to be full of bacteria. It is supposed to age for another 8 weeks so I would rather not waste that time if it is guaranteed to be ruined.

Thanks for reading, cheers.

My discovery......

20200521_192337.jpg

Not necessarily.

How much actual work will it be to just let it go and see?

No work required. I only have three fermenters and don't want to tie one up for 8 weeks if an infection is inevitable.

So not necessarily, but highly unlikely???

Once the fermentation starts the yeast activity will drive the pH lower than most bacteria can survive in and the CO2 will pretty much stop them from propagating. I think your brew will be fine.

Don't be surprised if you find a pellicle.
https://***************.com/wiki/Pellicle
However most contaminated beers still turn out fine.

+1 to RM-MN. The alcohol and Ph will prevent (minimize) any infection. If anything starts up, it is going to be really slow in an 11% abv brew.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I also wouldn't plan to store any of these bottles for more than a year.

Thank you all for taking the time to give me some advice/feedback.

Within 2 days of going into the secondary, about two dozen small white floaters appeared on top.

Stay the course?

It’s a farmhouse, bring on the funk! You may have just captured lightening in a big mouth bubbler.

I wouldn’t expect an infection but I wouldn’t be surprised if you find you picked up a few hitchhikers on the journey.

Let it ride and enjoy the discoveries of the unintended.

It’s a farmhouse, bring on the funk! You may have just captured lightening in a big mouth bubbler.

I wouldn’t expect an infection but I wouldn’t be surprised if you find you picked up a few hitchhikers on the journey.

Let it ride and enjoy the discoveries of the unintended.
Yeah, this is kinda in that old farmhouse spirit. Infections are funny gremlins. You hear a thousand stories about folks who are sanitation freaks and still wind up with one. But for every one of those, there's a another story about how something weird feel into the beer and it turned out great. I'd hold out in the hope that this will be a great story someday.

Thank you all for taking the time to give me some advice/feedback.

Within 2 days of going into the secondary, about two dozen small white floaters appeared on top.

Stay the course?

These white floaters are likely just yeast rafts brought to the surface by the escaping CO2. However, moving it to secondary does open up the possibility for infection. Watch for large bubbles (half inch to inch across) or a white film. That would be indication of infection. Next time do not move your beer to secondary as it does little to improve the beer and gives opportunity for oxidation or infection that wasn't there in primary.

An update, here are some pictures after letting it sit for 5 weeks, I plan to dry hop this week unless told otherwise :)

The pictures make it look much worse than it does in person ( guessing the reflection and lighting). The small bubbles and film on the top are completely white and haven't changed much in the last 3 weeks or so.

Please give me your opinions:

Attachments

• 20200628_201508.jpg
    20200628_201508.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 20200628_201614.jpg
    20200628_201614.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
I don't see anything that would worry me. Dry hop and package. No need to wait for the 8 weeks per the recipe, it should be done now.

I don't see anything that would worry me. Dry hop and package. No need to wait for the 8 weeks per the recipe, it should be done now.

Thanks for the feedback, that gives me some comfort, I have never seen anything like that on my beers before.

Wanted to report back that the beer turned out fantastic, one of if not the best I have made to date.
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
20200807_165629.jpg

Last edited:
Back