Porter one week in fermenter, is it what its supposed to taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a thought. I'm tagging @bracconiere for his experience in thinking outside the box. He may have some ideas for easier (more common) ingredients that might be easier, and legal, for you to source for your next brew day.

I wanna ask your opinion on what I'm gonna do next
Some guy told me to move the beer into a secondary and let it age for another two weeks and he said it would improve the flavor, can I add spindasol too? It works like gelatin, I've used it on the sample and it really helps with the sedimentation, my concern is it might affect natural carbonation by getting too much yeast to sink to the bottom, will it?
US-05 takes a little time(3weeks) but will drop clear on it's own you do not need to add finings.

Sounds like yeast is hard to come by so you should save the yeast in the bottom of your fermentor if you are only making 5% beers. I seen you mention your samples tasted tart, US-05 should not be tart so I would not reuse the yeast from this batch. A tart taste sounds like your beer might have got contaminated with a wild yeast or bacteria.

Last edited:
US-05 takes a little time(3weeks) but will drop clear on it's own you do not need to add finings.

Sounds like yeast is hard to come by so you should save the yeast in the bottom of your fermentor if you are only making 5% beers. I seen you mention your samples tasted tart, US-05 should not be tart so I would not reuse the yeast from this batch. A tart taste sounds like your beer might have got contaminated with a wild yeast or bacteria.
I kept everything clean and added hops to help avoid contamination, I don't know if it's contaminated, I'll give it a little more time and if the tartness didn't go away, I will dump the yeast cake as well

I still have 5 grams of the same yeast inside the freezer at -20c
But I'm getting this kveik yeast next time
I can't keep the room temps below 22C, so us05 is just not the yeast for me

If you must ferment at ambient temperature, and you can't get ambient temperature below 22C, then there aren't going to be very many yeasts for you. OTOH, there are plenty of low tech ways to keep your FV relatively cool. Search for "swamp cooler" for one example.

If you must ferment at ambient temperature, and you can't get ambient temperature below 22C, then there aren't going to be very many yeasts for you. OTOH, there are plenty of low tech ways to keep your FV relatively cool. Search for "swamp cooler" for one example.
They say kveik yeast makes very good beer at 30c but I've never tried that
I'll look it up thanks

I know I'm supposed to let it age but I'd rather let it age in the bottle
I'm gonna be doing my military services (which is a must here!) Soon, I wouldn't be around, messing with the bottles for 2 months, but the beer is still cloudy, now, should I cold crash it? Or should I use spindasol? The sample was dark brown but when left for a few hours, with most of the particles sinking, it got quite dark and black
Now the reason I worry about cold crashing or spindasol (which works fine) is they might affect natural carbonation, will they? I can use both
Like adding spindasol then letting it sit in the fridge

How long is your service? A couple weeks? A month? Longer than that?
Two months for the first phase, then I come home and I'll do the rest of my services working in a company for 22 months

I would add the priming sugar and put the beer in bottles. Let them sit out for a week or two or whatever it is until you have to leave, and at that time put them in the frig. Then when you get back, open one and see how it tastes. At that point you'll know if it's going to be OK or still taste bad.

I don't really see bottling it now as being a big deal. Although I suspect if your beer is still cloudy at the moment, it'll just leave you a little thicker layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. But you can deal with that by pouring the beer in a glass prior to drinking it.

Taste wise, after the same number of days since it's been in the FV, it'll likely taste more or less the same as if you bottled it 3 weeks prior to drinking it. But this is only my surmise, not something I'm certain of.

I would add the priming sugar and put the beer in bottles. Let them sit out for a week or two or whatever it is until you have to leave, and at that time put them in the frig. Then when you get back, open one and see how it tastes. At that point you'll know if it's going to be OK or still taste bad.
I thought aging needs to be done at room
temperature, is that false?

Aging in bottles is fine. Cold crashing in bottles after carbonation is fine. Priming and bottling before the beer is done fermenting is definitely not fine.
Bubbling stopped 10 days ago, it's been 18 days

I don't really see bottling it now as being a big deal. Although I suspect if your beer is still cloudy at the moment, it'll just leave you a little thicker layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. But you can deal with that by pouring the beer in a glass prior to drinking it.

Taste wise, after the same number of days since it's been in the FV, it'll likely taste more or less the same as if you bottled it 3 weeks prior to drinking it. But this is only my surmise, not something I'm certain of.
I hope this fusel alcohol taste goes away by aging
It's pretty dominant now

Is this your first taste of alcohol? I wonder if it's fusels you're tasting or just prominent ethanol on a palette unused to it.

Ethanol ages and smoothes out. Fusels do not.
I have never commercial alcohol, only the alcohol that people distill in their homes, so yeah, it could just be me, but I can't taste any sweetness
Or any taste of malt
Just roastiness, very little bit tart, and mild bitterness

I thought aging needs to be done at room
temperature, is that false?
"Aging" can be done at any temperature, though any changes that occur will happen more quickly when warm. I had in mind to put the bottles in the frig to make the yeast settle out.

There are a few ways to do this, none of them wrong.

"Aging" can be done at any temperature, though any changes that occur will happen more quickly when warm. I had in mind to put the bottles in the frig to make the yeast settle out.

There are a few ways to do this, none of them wrong.
I thought aging needs to be done at room temp to keep the yeast from falling asleep (not very scientific language, I know) to let them clean up the byproducts of fermentation

18 days is probably more than enough unless it got stuck somehow. I assume you will check the gravity when you bottle.
Yeah I will, just one more thing I'm wondering about, I wanna cold crash it or use spindasol before I bottle to have a thinner yeast cake in the bottom of the bottles, will that affect natural carbonation?

I thought aging needs to be done at room temp to keep the yeast from falling asleep (not very scientific language, I know) to let them clean up the byproducts of fermentation
That would be something that happens in the week or so after fermentation has ended, and is done in the primary fermenter. "Aging" typically means letting the beer sit for a month, or several months, or even more to allow the flavors to "mellow" or otherwise change. This is not done on the yeast cake (can be in 2ndary fermenter, a keg, bottles, etc.) and is intended to take care of any harsh flavors and such.

I wonder if it's fusels you're tasting or just prominent ethanol on a palette unused to it.
I'm also not convinced that the OP is tasting a lot of fusels. While it is generally true that most yeast produce more fusels at higher temperatures, it's not like we have a whole lot of data about this fermentation. The problem is that flavor and aroma descriptions are sort of by definition subjective. "Harsh" could be describing a fusel taste, or a half a dozen other things.

Anyway I could be wrong, but I don't think that a few hours slightly above the top of the recommended range is going to suddenly turn your beer toxic. Unless it was above 80F/27C for a significant length of time it's probably not the end of the world.

Thanks, that's very reassuring
One more thing
The wort was very malty before fermentation,I like malty beer, but i realized this is a yeast with pretty high attenuation, given age, will some of the maltiness come back?

Anyway I could be wrong, but I don't think that a few hours slightly above the top of the recommended range is going to suddenly turn your beer toxic. Unless it was above 80F/27C for a significant length of time it's probably not the end of the world.
Agreed.

However, the chart of ambient room temperature in #58
1683582772695.png
is not promising. See #59 for one opinion on actual fermentation temperatures.

My experiences with fermenting at ambient temperature (no temperature control, no swamp cooler, no nothing) is this: when fermentation is active, it is unlikely that wort temperature will drop below the daily high. It could be that this batch spend a day or two at 25C + 5F.

On the the other hand, with US-05, a 60F (basement) + 5F = 65F. Side note for those with basements at 60F: not all strains will start fermenting at 60F.

Back