Another One of Those No Fermentation-Activity Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry to kick a dead horse. I've seen a lot of "no bubbling" posts, but none that hit the mark for my situation, at least not exactly. Here's the scoop.

1. I'm 48hrs past pitching 2 packets of White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast (within date), which I let warm up to 70F and agitated (no starter)
2. Aerated wort with an Aquarium pump (HEPA filtered) for 1hr
3. Pitched at 65F, which it recommended.
4. Keeping it at 65F, which recipe recommends
5. Using a Big-Mouth Bubbler and don't see any kreuzen... at all

Should I throw a third yeast pack in

All I can say as I'm using yeast starters for EVERYTHING from now on. Even when making my kid's frozen orange juice!

Thanks folks!

Your hydrometer is the tool to use to determine if you have fermentation or not. I just had one that bubbled a lot (for me) but had almost no krausen. Had another with no bubbles but plenty of krausen. My hydrometer confirmed that both had completed fermentation.

Hi and welcome. How do you know nothing is happening? If you are only relying on air-lock activity, the bmb is know to have difficulty with a tight sealing lid. I've had similar issues with my fermonster. But airlock action is not a reliable indicator and not overly important during primary/secondary fermentations.

Hi and welcome. How do you know nothing is happening? If you are only relying on air-lock activity, the bmb is know to have difficulty with a tight sealing lid. I've had similar issues with my fermonster. But airlock action is not a reliable indicator and not overly important during primary/secondary fermentations.

Thanks for the welcome, S-Met! It was more the lack of krausen (and a number of posts I found issuing panic after 48hrs) that has me worried. Also the first picture, below, which had some weird floaties. I'd used buckets before, so this is my first time seeing the process.

I can happily report, that things are now in motion. Last night there was a beautiful krausen floating, and now it's bubbling along merrily.

Interesting tho, things only got going after I gave the fermenter a few light shakes. Does that make a difference, or just coincidence?

Here's a close up on what I was worried was mold:

GALLERY=media, 69494]Ferment 1, after 48hrs by Iowa Brewer posted Oct 16, 2018 at 8:48 AM[/GALLERY]

After a few hours, things were looking good:

Congrats, the shaking then activity was more than likely just coincidence. Looks good. BTW 2 packs of liquid yeast, depending on the OG, and age of the packs, might still have been on the low side for cell counts.

Congrats, the shaking then activity was more than likely just coincidence. Looks good. BTW 2 packs of liquid yeast, depending on the OG, and age of the packs, might still have been on the low side for cell counts.

Thanks, kh53s10! It's good to see it off and running. And thanks for the tip! I really need to start doing yeast calculations.

More than likely your yeast was just a little tired. You probably didn't underpitch that much, if at all. I like to shake things up after I pitch my yeast to break up the big chunks.

More than likely your yeast was just a little tired. You probably didn't underpitch that much, if at all. I like to shake things up after I pitch my yeast to break up the big chunks.

Yeah, Comfort_Zone. A lot of matter floated up from the bottom when I did that (what I thought might be mold growth). Maybe those billions of cells just needed to get off the wall and on to the dance floor ;)

One thing that can also help is doing a vitality starter. Just enough to wake the yeast up without having to worry about throwing your numbers off too much.

You can also harvest your yeast for the next batch, saves money. And you get a huge yeast colony for the next batch! my last batch took off after 30 minutes, or before i had time to even put my brew equip away!

i do it the wrong way, just scooping it up out of the bottom of the fermenter after kegging..But there is info on how to do it the 'right way', if so inclined.

You can also harvest your yeast for the next batch, saves money. And you get a huge yeast colony for the next batch! my last batch took off after 30 minutes, or before i had time to even put my brew equip away!

i do it the wrong way, just scooping it up out of the bottom of the fermenter after kegging..But there is info on how to do it the 'right way', if so inclined.

This would be considered a big over pitch where a standard pitch would only use 1/4 of the yeast for the next batch. With that in mind, I could make one beer, save the yeast slurry in 4 jars, and have enough yeast to do 4 more batches.

This would be considered a big over pitch where a standard pitch would only use 1/4 of the yeast for the next batch. With that in mind, I could make one beer, save the yeast slurry in 4 jars, and have enough yeast to do 4 more batches.

4 jars for 4 more batches for 4(4) batches! sounds good too! :)

Eventually your refrigerator becomes full of just yeast and you will starve.

and here i am trying to eat MORE yeast because i need the protein and folate, thiamin!

not to mention all the other b-vitamins! niacin, pyridoxine, and so on....you might drink beer for the flavor! i drink it for the vitamins! :bott:

Last edited:
Back