Anchor closing?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
San Francisco has become a pool of homeless, drug addicts and criminals that run the city. It is dirty and smells of human waste. Such a pity for a once really nice city. I live about 10 to 15 mins from the downtown area and would not go there for anything. Anybody who asks, I tell them to go to Monterrey, Napa Valley, Santa Cruz or anywhere but SF. It is a craphole.

This shouldn't be part of this discussion. Of course you feel that way because you're probably in a tough location. If you know about SF, you know the problems are real downtown but there are many "clean" districts and areas. And it's not just San Francisco. There's a true, serious drug epidemic in every city, and even small towns. Even in the Appalacia. To ignore the problem and blame it on on SF and "Cali" (no one from CA calls it that) is a tired trope we've all heard before. And it's sad because a lot of good people get addicted. On the flip side, there are hundreds of successful global industries based in SF which help make CA one of the top economies in the world. Some of these companies are beer companies. Get off your high horse.

Last edited:
While I would agree to a point, the better areas are getting worse as the homeless and drug addicts move or increase. North Beach use to be a great place to go have a nice dinner and walk around. Not anymore. The piers and the Wharf, once again, the same. San Francisco pays the drug addicts something like 800 bucks a month just to do nothing. I saw an interview on one of the news channels and the guy openly admitted he uses the money for dope and sees no real need to get a job when they will pay him to get high. That is the problem with SF, too many handouts.

As far as location, I am not in SF, but in a city about 5 to 10 miles south of it. Close enough that if it was cleaner and nicer I could go to the theater district and catch a show and dinner. But getting hit up for money, watching people urinate in the streets and shoot up just doesn't do it for me. Just my opinion, if you want to wade is the filth of SF be my guest.

I don't have a problem with your opinion. Just doesn't belong in this thread.

I don't have a problem with your opinion. Just doesn't belong in this thread.
The current state of the city and a business closing possibly due to it is not pertinent? Ok, cool. Will delete. My apologies to any and all who might have been offended. I will try and limit my opinion in the future.

This shouldn't be part of this discussion. Of course you feel that way because you're probably in a tough location. If you know about SF, you know the problems are real downtown but there are many "clean" districts and areas. And it's not just San Francisco. There's a true, serious drug epidemic in every city, and even small towns. Even in the Appalacia. To ignore the problem and blame it on on SF and "Cali" (no one from CA calls it that) is a tired trope we've all heard before. And it's sad because a lot of good people get addicted. On the flip side, there are hundreds of successful global industries based in SF which help make CA one of the top economies in the world. Some of these companies are beer companies. Get off you
So my opinion is not right, but yours is? Got it. You are right and I a wrong. There ya go. Have a great day. So if my opinion didn't belong in the thread, nor should your reply. So, maybe you should be omitting your opinion of my opinion. LOL. Again, have a great day.

Last edited:
All of my posts on this thread have been removed. My apologies to any and all who were upset or felt my opinions were out of line. I will try not to post any more opinions or personal thoughts. Rock On!!!!!!!

I mean, I don't 100% disagree. But there are so many people who attack our nation's cities these days because of our country's problems. It's like San Francisco is a trigger word. I could be wrong but it looked like little of your response had anything to do with beer.

So my opinion is not right, but yours is? Got it. You are right and I a wrong. There ya go.
He didn't say that. Sheesh.

Anchor went broke primarily because revenues plummeted. Revenues plummeted primarily due to out of state sales falling off a cliff. I'm just not seeing what that has to do with their location, even though I have no doubt that there are all sorts of issues with trying to run a business in SF.

Plenty o' factors in this (and the larger issue of breweries shutting down, in general). Some that come to mind right away:
1. A Darwinian thinning of the herd going on. Unsustainable, what with 9700 U.S. breweries, per @day_trippr's data.
2. Fickle tastes among beer drinkers.
3. Competition from other beverages, and a trend among some people to eschew alcohol altogether.
4. Inflation, meaning less disposable income for buying craft beer.
5. Supply chain issues and post-Covid price-gouging turning away some consumers who refuse to pay $12-$15/4-pack, or $8 a pint in a taproom.
6. Quality problems in some packaged beer--e.g., short shelf life of certain varieties.
7. Poor management.
8. Acquisition of craft breweries by large corporate entities, then the inevitable cuts when one doesn't live up to revenue projections.
Plus, CA. Enough said there. I read one article where the employees were all blaming Sapporro who bought the company and ran it into the ground.

Last edited:
My club was also sending around emails and discussing this. We’re planning a Christmas beer exchange this year among the club and I’m thinking in advance. In honor of this I should brew an attempt in the style of Our Special Ale. I’ve searched for clone recipes and not found much outside of the Clonebrews book. From what I know the recipe was different every year. Thats not a bad thing in my opinion, since there’s no one “thing” you have to nail.

I’m thinking in the style of a winter warmer, approx 7%. I think I have a decent handle on the base recipe, hops, grains, yeast. Where I’m weak is on spices. I generally don’t brew spiced beers. Does anybody who has drank Our Special Ale frequently or who frequently brews spiced beers have any input of the kind and amount of spices you would try in an Our Special Ale clone? Thanks for any input.

Maybe we put a group recipe here and we can all brew it. Or whoever wants to.

Last edited:
That’s what they make spirits for. I’ve never had any seltzer that I said, wow that’s awesome. They have all had an artificial taste.
Yeah but taxes/convenience/social expectations make that unpopular. Popping open a few cans of seltzer is easier and a closer experience to social beer than mixing a jack and coke. Plus many venues don’t allow liquor sales, and if you bring a flask you're the ‘drinker’ and have something to carry arround when done.

Last edited:
So for a first draft of an Our Special Ale recipe, I came up with this. I wanted to use up the little bit of honey malt I have left and I've had a jar of molasses waiting to be used for a long time. Everything said figs and dark fruit, so this seemed appropriate. I wanted to get to 7%, went about .5 on the hop ratio since this is a spiced beer. I brew 3 gallon batches, all my brews are 3.5 gallons into the fermenter so that I actually end up with 3 gallons of finished beer. Simpson's Best is what I have a sack of, you could use Maris Otter.

Winter Warmer - OSA
17-A British Strong Ale

Size: 3.5 gal
Efficiency: 81.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.072 (1.055 - 1.080)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.015 - 1.022)
Color: 16.76 SRM (8.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 7.07% (5.5% - 8.0%)
Bitterness: 33.1 (30.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:

6.5 lb (75.9%) Simpson's Best Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (5.8%) Special Roast Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (5.8%) Munich 10L Malt - added during mash
.25 lb (2.9%) American Honey Malt - added during mash

.5 lb (5.8%) Molasses - added during boil, boiled 60 m
5 oz (3.6%) Light Brown Sugar - added during boil, boiled 60 m

.75 oz (50.0%) Northern Brewer (6.4%) - boiled 60 m
.75 oz (50.0%) Northern Brewer (6.4%) - boiled 20 m
1 ea Vanilla (whole bean) - boiled 15 m
2 tsp Orange Peel (dried) - boiled 15 m
.25 tsp Allspice - boiled 15 m

1.0 ea Wyeast 1272 American Ale II™

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 2.0.24

So for a first draft of an Our Special Ale recipe, I came up with this. I wanted to use up the little bit of honey malt I have left and I've had a jar of molasses waiting to be used for a long time. Everything said figs and dark fruit, so this seemed appropriate. I wanted to get to 7%, went about .5 on the hop ratio since this is a spiced beer. I brew 3 gallon batches, all my brews are 3.5 gallons into the fermenter so that I actually end up with 3 gallons of finished beer. Simpson's Best is what I have a sack of, you could use Maris Otter.

Winter Warmer - OSA
17-A British Strong Ale

Size: 3.5 gal
Efficiency: 81.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.072 (1.055 - 1.080)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.015 - 1.022)
Color: 16.76 SRM (8.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 7.07% (5.5% - 8.0%)
Bitterness: 33.1 (30.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:

6.5 lb (75.9%) Simpson's Best Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (5.8%) Special Roast Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (5.8%) Munich 10L Malt - added during mash
.25 lb (2.9%) American Honey Malt - added during mash

.5 lb (5.8%) Molasses - added during boil, boiled 60 m
5 oz (3.6%) Light Brown Sugar - added during boil, boiled 60 m

.75 oz (50.0%) Northern Brewer (6.4%) - boiled 60 m
.75 oz (50.0%) Northern Brewer (6.4%) - boiled 20 m
1 ea Vanilla (whole bean) - boiled 15 m
2 tsp Orange Peel (dried) - boiled 15 m
.25 tsp Allspice - boiled 15 m

1.0 ea Wyeast 1272 American Ale II™

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 2.0.24
looks tasty, might contemplate adding the molasses and brown sugar later in the boil say around 5min left, they don't need to boil just mix in

According to the news the last few days, there is a venture capitalist who lives about 2 blocks from Anchor. According to the news, he is like a staple there and has been very vocal about trying to get a group together to buy the business. He wants to keep it where it is and is enlisting people to buy small parts and keep the brewery open. Kinda cool.

Cracked open a can of Anchor Steam tonight, not sure how fresh it was, or maybe I'm not that keen on Northern Brewer hops. I brewed a clone a while back and wasn't blown away either. Just seems to me that an off the shelf Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or pale ales that I can brew trump this beer. The romantic aspects on this beer are not enough for me to support it financially.

Cracked open a can of Anchor Steam tonight, not sure how fresh it was, or maybe I'm not that keen on Northern Brewer hops. I brewed a clone a while back and wasn't blown away either. Just seems to me that an off the shelf Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or pale ales that I can brew trump this beer. The romantic aspects on this beer are not enough for me to support it financially.
I agree. While I will drink it if it is offered, I don't think it is one I would go out and buy. My son had a six pack of it in the fridge and he and I had one each. It wasn't bad, but not the type of beer I would normally drink.

The main package store I go to sold their last two 6ers of Anchor the day before my last visit. Damn, so close.

I know the owner really well, so hoping he can get more of it next go around. I'm doubtful, but he told me he's going to hold a six pack for me if it happens. He still has some Spencer left too (another brewery that closed). I may pick up some of that too on my next visit.

This months BYO has a big write up on Anchor Our Special Ale! Recipe included - “Thankfully, recent Anchor Brewmaster Scott Ungerman who…was at the helm for much of the past decade, was willing to share his insights on Our Special Ale.” Excellent, timely, and informative article.

That is one article I will be seeking out. Their Christmas Ale is one I looked for every year, I couldn't find it in Michigan last year. Since they changed the tree art every year I started to keep them in my collection.

I like a lot of the Christmas Ales out there, but Anchor had a special one. Great Lakes "jail ale" is another one I seek out every year. I've never brewed one for myself, I have a brew week planned in 2 weeks I might have to give this a go.

My homebrew club is doing a christmas/holiday beer exchange this year. I brewed my attempt at this recipe for the exchange at the beginning of September. I even photoshopped OSA labels.

IMG_2994.jpeg

Latest posts

Back