Ale or lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale or Lager?

• Ale

• Lager

Results are only viewable after voting.

Otterella

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to where individual preferences lie. All else being equal, do you prefer to drink ales or lagers? Personally, 99.9% of the beers I like are ales. I only ever met one lager that I truly enjoyed. But to be fair, the only reason I drank that lager was because it was at a German style brew pub that only brewed lagers. So it may just be that my mind is telling me that all lagers taste like Bud and I shouldn't waste my time, even though I know that isn't true.

There are a few lager styles I have a soft spot for (bock/doppelbock, schwartzbier, Dortmunder export), but probably 75% or more of what I drink are ales.

I like both but drink more ales. I really like a pilsner or bock in the summer, but a nice session cream ale does the job too. I haven't dabbled in lager territory due to the lengthy fermentation process but may eventually once I have some more space.

I love lagers, I like to brew them and to drink them. I still brew more ales than lagers, but you cannot beat a well made lager.

Lagers take alot longer to make. Also take alot more energy if down south. Thats why you don't see as many produced by microbrewerys.

Lagers take alot longer to make. Also take alot more energy if down south. Thats why you don't see as many produced by microbrewerys.

I see and have drunk LOTS of lagers from Micro breweries. In fact that's how I got into lagers after snubbing them for so long, trying them from craft breweries. In fact most craft breweries or brewpubs in Michigan have at least 1 if not more on tap regularly, that way they have at least one thing to offer a typical bmc drinker.....

Lagers live in the John Deere cup holder.

Anything that I don't want to drink quickly is an ale.

Most of the beer I drink and all I brew is ale. I've been disappointed with a lot of craft lagers. Jacks Abbey in Massachusetts only makes lagers, however, and they have an excellent line up.

I know a guy that only brews traditional german lagers. That's what he has landed on after 40 years of brewing. Me? I'm sticking with ales for now because I don't have the patience for lager brewing and I don't want to occupy my ferm chamber lagering a beer for a month.

Lagers require equipment I don't have to make. Therefore I only brew ales. Which is why I drink 95% ales, of my own making or otherwise. If I'm out somewhere, I like to drink stuff I can potentially try to replicate myself.

Sounds like some kind of awesome self-contained fermentation chamber. Not sure if I'd want to trade the blood, sweat and tears that went into my chamber though. :drunk: Only downside is my chamber can't do lager temps.

Krovitz said:
Most of the beer I drink and all I brew is ale. I've been disappointed with a lot of craft lagers. Jacks Abbey in Massachusetts only makes lagers, however, and they have an excellent line up.

I recently had a Fire in the Ham. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I really liked it. I'm going to get some more and make a cheese soup with it.

kombat said:
Get thee to a liquor store and find yourself a 4-pack of Ayinger Celebrator Doppel Bock. It'll change your world.

Ok, so I picked up a bottle. World remains unchanged, I'm afraid. Certainly didn't hate it, but it didn't do much for me -- a lot of malty sweetness without too much else I could pick up. I guess I just don't get the style.

Back