Year of the Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
I’m getting a little antsy to brew again- have not made a batch since I had some time off in October.

I was prepping a hop list to order (semi) bulk from Yakama valley hops yesterday, enjoying the first true lager I made with proper yeast.

I realized that I might exclusively make lagers this year. I’m so proud of the two batches I’ve made with 34/70 and omega YL- German Lager 1, that I’m likely going to try it.

For me, 2023 is going to be the year of the lager! I only plan to brew 8-12 times this year so I think this is achievable!

Any tips you guys have for brewing a variety of tasty beverages of the lager variety?

Thanks!

That is my goal too. Lagers are not that hard to brew. Just give them time to do their thing and you are good. I have had better lagers doing the fast ferment from Brulosophy. Works for me. I have a nice lager that should be ready by Dec. 31st. Check out his website. Other than that, letting your lagers age a few months will make a huge difference. Of course you need space to store it which means an extra fridge.

I'm also hyper focused on brewing lagers this year. I have a helles and doppelbock lagering, plus a planned pils, kölsch, festbier, dunkel, and bock.

* Read this article about Eric Toft at Schönram Brewery in Bavaria. He makes some of the best lagers on earth.
* Watch this podcast on lager brewing with the brewmaster at Weihenstephan.
* If you can, split some batches and experiment with different yeast strains. I found that WY2308 Munich Lager is my favorite lager yeast in all but a crisp pils.
* Time, temperature control, and process control are the difference between a good lager and a great lager.
* Try a decoction or two. It does make a difference.
* Hallertau Mittelfruh + Tettnang is an astonishingly delicious combination.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how your lagers turn out.

Last edited:
Thanks folks! I have the capacity to pressure ferment- how my two lagers in the kegerator were fermented- and at 64+ *F, I cant wait to see how they turn out after time my cold basement cellar this winter.

Jack- I’ll definitely read the article and listen to the podcast. I’m a podcast wh*re
Conehead- I’ve heard about time spent lagering, but it’s always good to hear it again to reassure. As much as I hate waiting 3-4 months to taste it, I’ve seen what happens with the beer I have on tap after just two months.

I’ll have to see if SWMBO lets me get a fridge to dedicate to this- a converted freezer would be ideal… you know, if ever the kegerator should go kaput 🤔

Back