AHS Fat Tire clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I'm thinking AHS Fat Tire clone will be my second brew. I'll be using the extract version but I do have a quick question about the yeast. There are two options to chose from, White Labs California Ale V WLP051, and Wyeast American Ale II 1272. I prefer the Wyeast because I just hit the package and it does whatever it does without anything extra, by the look of the white lab I would have to make a starter and being my 2nd brew ever I'm sticking to the easy ways.....Is there going to be much taste difference between these 2 yeast?

smack packs don't eliminate the need for a starter. there is an equal need to make one for both of those yeasts.

I'm thinking AHS Fat Tire clone will be my second brew. I'll be using the extract version but I do have a quick question about the yeast. There are two options to chose from, White Labs California Ale V WLP051, and Wyeast American Ale II 1272. I prefer the Wyeast because I just hit the package and it does whatever it does without anything extra, by the look of the white lab I would have to make a starter and being my 2nd brew ever I'm sticking to the easy ways.....Is there going to be much taste difference between these 2 yeast?

The yeast packages have the same number of cells. I always make a starter for liquid yeast, but not because of the brand. It's just good practice to make a yeast starter for liquid yeast, especially if the OG is over 1.050 or the yeast is a bit older. The Wyeast "smack pack" doesn't have more yeast than the White Labs vial.

I'm not sure about taste differences, since I've never compared those yeast strains side by side, but I think it would be negligible.

maybe I'll use the dry yeast, they say to use Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast, as I thought just smaking the package of wyeast was good enough.

Making a starter might be good practice, but I've made several batches here without starters (as have many many other people), and they turned out just fine. Most of the beers I have done are between 1.04-1.06 OG. The one time I did a 1.07 I did make a starter, and I'll probably do more starters in the future even for lower OG, but it's not my #1 concern at this point.

Back