Blonde ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I have WLP051 and am wanting to learn this strain. Figured a Blonde ale would be a great recipe for this strain. The recipe in works is something that's a bit plain and would have to assume there is a pinch of character. Victory is something that was added as there is some left from a previous recipe,. White wheat was to add a pinch of head retention, Munich was just for giggles, and the fwh only addition of the Willamette was to keep it plain jane. Would the addition of both munich light and Victory be a bit much for a plain jane blonde and if so should I just stick with Victory? How does this look for a blonde ale recipe?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Blonde Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.82%
IBU (tinseth): 18.91
SRM (morey): 5.27
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - Brewers Malt 2-Row (85.7%)
0.5 lb - Victory Malt (4.8%)
0.5 lb - BEST Munich (4.8%)
0.5 lb - Wheat Malt, White (4.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 18.91

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.94 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale V Yeast WLP051

California V! One of my very favorites for American porters, pales and IPAs. I actually prefer it to the chico strain. I don't get the sulphur talked about in some reviews and it's always been a strong performer for me.

Having said that, IMO the best thing to ferment a blond ale with is a Scottish yeast :)

California V! One of my very favorites for American porters, pales and IPAs. I actually prefer it to the chico strain. I don't get the sulphur talked about in some reviews and it's always been a strong performer for me.

Having said that, IMO the best thing to ferment a blond ale with is a Scottish yeast :)
That's awesome! I'm kegging a cascade/2 row SMASH with Omega West Coast Ale 2 (aka Wyeast 1272) this evening. They say this is a different strain and from the description it sure sounds like it! Really excited to use it! Is this a slow fermenting strain and what temps do you like fermenting at with this strain?

Back