Indianapolis Hop Buy?? $1-$1.50 per ounce!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered 66' of 8" Foodsaver Roll for splitting the hops. FWIW, my cost was $30 from Amazon, the current $.08 per ounce surcharge will cover $24 of that cost. I think this is fair. This will easily allow breaking down of the hops into packages as small as 3-4 ounces, 6" in length.

Just trying to be up front guys with how yall are being billed. The orders seem to have settled down a lot. FYI, if you are waiting to pick up overruns on the 8th and 9th, they will be first come, first serve.

Some of you have not ordered ANYTHING as of yet, Larry I know you were looking at taking some overrun, so I currently have no ORDER for you. Those of you who have not ordered, be sure to do so if there are varieties and quantities that you WANT, because overruns cannot be assured.

When I post the overruns on the evening of the 7th or morning of the 8th, please just post in this thread what varieity and qty. you want to pick up overruns on. This way, it will be time stamped and easy for others to see what is STILL available and what is not.

Hmm - but I had my own food saver I was gonna bring down... unless you planned to split it all up for us before we picked it up - that would be a nice service worth $0.08 per ounce. LOL!

In all honesty though, I can leave my foodsaver home - I would have to buy bags anyway and that would cost me just as much or more.

Also: you can move me to 6 ounces of saaz if it will remove the overun and prevent us from buying that last pound.

Hmm - but I had my own food saver I was gonna bring down... unless you planned to split it all up for us before we picked it up - that would be a nice service worth $0.08 per ounce. LOL!

In all honesty though, I can leave my foodsaver home - I would have to buy bags anyway and that would cost me just as much or more.

Also: you can move me to 6 ounces of saaz if it will remove the overun and prevent us from buying that last pound.

Brrrman. I will take note of that. I am reluctant to start adjusting the quantities right now, because then if someone else comes in with an order, it will all be for nothing (I realized this yesterday). I will take note of your willingness to do so in case we dont get the other buyers in on the Saaz.

Again I am ONLY charging for the materials to reseal them, I am not making a penny off the HBT members involved in this buy.

i dont have a food saver can i get 1 ounce bags?

This probably wont be a problem, now if I get several buyers needing them broken down into 1oz bags, I will have to charge more becuase that is A LOT of bag material when you are talking 28 bags for 28 ounces.

FoodSavers are nice because you can bag up 4-6 ounces and reseal the bag a few times. Definately a GREAT tool for any brewer to have.

I put this out to our homebrew club here in Louisville, and got this order in return so far:

For Evan Brill c\o Larry
1/2 pound EACH of the following
Amarillo
Centennial
Chinook
Magnum

I put this out to our homebrew club here in Louisville, and got this order in return so far:

For Evan Brill c\o Larry
1/2 pound EACH of the following
Amarillo
Centennial
Chinook
Magnum

Excellent!! I will add this to YOUR order on my spreadsheet. Larry, you just waiting to scavenge the overruns or what buddy?

You can put me for 8 Saaz and 4 Hallertau, unless that is going to mess up the order.

Not at all, right now I want people to order what they want It is WAYYY too early to worry about cleaning up the overruns on any variety.

I do encourage you to stay tuned, on the 8th and 9th I will post all of the overruns and I am counting on you guys to help me clean them up a little ;)

You are in the Great Hop Buy of 2009 Whiskey.

OKAY, we are adding Tettnanger!!!

I will have the pricing and order form updated in a little bit!

THE OP WILL BE UPDATED WITH THE FOLLOWING:

I will post the updated spreadsheet covering ALL pricing, buyers, individual orders, totals per buyer etc. This will more easily allow everyone to see the pricing changes as the quantities and shipping charges change as we add more pounds or more varieties.

Ok, I went through and planned the rest of my beers for the year. Problem is that I already have 3+ LBS of hops in the freezer !

I need
1/2 lb Cascade ( can't have too much of this one)
1/2 lb 0z of Tettnanger
4 oz of Hallertau
5 oz of Columbus.

I'll still take up to 8 oz each of the OR on the Chinook & Amarillo.

And if I actually get to brew all this, I'll need to add about 4 cornys!!!!

Pol - just an idea, but it looks like they lowered prices to match HopUnion.

There are several varieties available at country malts that aren't available at HD that people might want, and a few varieties are cheaper there. They have simcoe and chinook for $23.95 per lb, for example. Why not place an order there as well to maximize on varieties and savings?

Ok, I went through and planned the rest of my beers for the year. Problem is that I already have 3+ LBS of hops in the freezer !

I need
1/2 lb 0z of Tettnanger
4 oz of Hallertau
5 oz of Columbus.

Oh so YOU want Cascade?? I had that in there originally but didnt have much interest in it. I can add it, because I wanted some too. I will update the order.

Sorry, not selling cornies ;)

Pol - just an idea, but it looks like they lowered prices to match HopUnion.

There are several varieties available at country malts that aren't available at HD that people might want, and a few varieties are cheaper there. They have simcoe and chinook for $23.95 per lb, for example. Why not place an order there as well to maximize on varieties and savings?

We will get killed on shipping by placing a small order at another vendor. Puterbaugh will charge $7 for a POUND of hops to ship to my house, they will ship 20 pounds for $23... to give you an example. The shipping cost I am guessing would overrun the savings per ounce if we split the order. For 20 pounds shipped to me from Puterbaugh, YOU are paying $.06 per OUNCE to get it shipped! That comes to a measly $1.00 PER POUND! You cant beat that, and ordering a couple pounds from NCM, once you figure shipping, I can almost guarantee will cost you MORE.

I know you guys dont really care, but I have been spending about 6 hours a DAY to keep this organized and add varieities and keep it all straight. For the sake of my own sanity, I am sticking to ONE supplier and that will be Puterbaugh. Plus, it will SAVE you money.

I want to please as many people as possible (thus the increase from 8 varieties to 15), but I am getting nothing for my time, so therefore I have to balance this a little. I have a job and a family (around here somewhere).

My guess is that shipping would be a factor. Country Malts prices are also actually quite expensive.

Shipping will kill you.

The GROUP BUY buyers are getting thier hops shipped for about $1.00 per POUND. I challenge anyone to find that sort of a deal from any other supplier if purchasing a couple pounds.

My spreadsheet allows me to break down everything, when the hop buy is done I will post a summary. I think that you guys will be AMAZED at the savings that you realized.

I need
1/2 lb 0z of Tettnanger
4 oz of Hallertau
5 oz of Columbus.

I will take requests for the overruns on the 8th and 9th. I cant do it now because there are still open orders, thusly I dont know what the overruns will be. Overruns and final order summary will be posted at MIDNIGHT EASTERN time on the evening of the 7th.

i'm trying to figure otu how much of what i need to order.. I don't know when i could make it down there to pick it up though :-( i don't make it to indy very often...... Might have to have my sister pick it up or somethin..

i'm trying to figure otu how much of what i need to order.. I don't know when i could make it down there to pick it up though :-( i don't make it to indy very often...... Might have to have my sister pick it up or somethin..

Do what you've gotta do. Maybe it isnt worth it for you? I mean you can look at the spreadsheet in the OP and see the savings and decide if it is worth it. The BIG savings is on shipping ($1.00/Lb) and not having to buy full pounds for yourself.

This probably wont be a problem, now if I get several buyers needing them broken down into 1oz bags, I will have to charge more becuase that is A LOT of bag material when you are talking 28 bags for 28 ounces.

FoodSavers are nice because you can bag up 4-6 ounces and reseal the bag a few times. Definately a GREAT tool for any brewer to have.

Pol I was just kidding!

Pol I was just kidding!

You dork!

Okay, good... that would have really sucked. I am already planning a full day to fill orders and split these suckers up!

Called Puterbaugh today to get a new shipping quote for 30 pounds, since we are headed there... $28... nice!

IMPORTANT!!

Does anyone have an objection to CLOSING the ordering tomorrow night, the 6th, at midnight? I would then post the summary and the overruns on the 7th by noon central time. You will have the 7th and 8th (midnight) to help me out and let me know what overruns you would like to pick up! I will then order on the 9th.

The orders arent really changing right now, all but two people have ordered, and the two that have not, I am not sure if they are going to.

If I get ONE objection to closing this on the 6th, I wont. Otherwise I will.

No objection, but let me add this order from my fellow LAGERS friend, GREG

10 POUNDS of CASCADE

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? We can get the BULK pricing on Cascaades then! Let me know you are for real!

Yes Sir Larry -- 10 Pounds My brother and I will be sharing the order. Regards, Greg

While you are at it, I'll be upping mine to a pound.

Yes Sir Larry -- 10 Pounds My brother and I will be sharing the order. Regards, Greg

While you are at it, I'll be upping mine to a pound.

Got it... we are getting bulk rate on the Cascades, albeit a small decrease in PPP. New spreadsheet hitting the OP in a few minutes, we are up to 36 POUNDS!!

Ok, here's my list...

14oz of the Amarill0
8oz centennial
8oz columbus
6oz saaz
12oz Galena
8oz golding
8oz target
8oz Hallertau
6oz perle
2lb willimet
3lb 8oz cascade

how do we pay? Cash when we pick up or paypal? I tried to eat up more overrun than i created. Srry if i made a mess of things but some of these i just had to get a hold of, my local LHBS hasn't had **** for over a year, so i'm excited to try some smash

Ok, here's my list...

14oz of the Amarill0
8oz centennial
8oz columbus
6oz saaz
12oz Galena
8oz golding
8oz target
8oz Hallertau
6oz perle
2lb willimet
3lb 8oz cascade

how do we pay? Cash when we pick up or paypal? I tried to eat up more overrun than i created. Srry if i made a mess of things but some of these i just had to get a hold of, my local LHBS hasn't had **** for over a year, so i'm excited to try some smash

I will add this in! I prefer Pay Pal... but apprently about 50% of people dont have it. So, I am going WAYY out on a limb and accepting COD.

Thanks for the order!

Wow. I think they should give us bulk rates on everything. This is a huge order.

Well as far as they are concered, a one pound order of Amarillo along with 30 pounds of other hops, is still only a one pound block of Amarillo. We will get bulk pricing on the Cascade since it exceeds the 5 and 11 pound bricks.

Still, this is great pricing for SHIPPED hops.

GENTLEMEN

The OP is updated, we are currently sitting at 45 POUNDS of lucious hops for the group. We have an overrun of 47 ounces. TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT I will close ordering. From that point until the 8th at midnight I am asking you to please check your orders in the spreadsheet on the OP and help me cleanup the overruns.

If you look at the total COST for the buy, you will realize that I am extending myself financially to make this work, until I recieve your payments.

Those of you wil PAY PAL, I prefer Pay Pal payments after the orders and overruns are cleaned up. This will be on the 8th at midnight. You can check the OP to see the FINAL spreadsheet and your final cost. Pay Pal is preferred! This order is nearing $1000, which I will be responsible for until I recieve your payments.

Sounds like a plan, go ahead and make my order an even 8 for the Hallertau. Any idea abouts when the shipment will get in once ordered?

Edit: I'll be able to pay with paypal, once the order is tallied. Shot you a PM also.

Sounds like a plan, go ahead and make my order an even 8 for the Hallertau. Any idea abouts when the shipment will get in once ordered?

I will do that for you Whiskey. I will be calling Puterbaugh (they have been excellent in dealing with me by the way) for an UPdated shipping quote and I will ask them about how long to expect this order to take.

My guess, is one week. I will post it here when I find out.

My orders from Hops Direct usually come in 5-7 days. Though, the most I have ever ordered at once was 4 lbs.

I will help with over runs by taking 4 oz of gelena, 4 oz nugget, & 4 oz centennial

i can shoot over a paypal payment anytime pm me your info

I will help with over runs by taking 4 oz of gelena, 4 oz nugget, & 4 oz centennial

i can shoot over a paypal payment anytime pm me your info

Hey man... thanks, updated the spreadsheet, it will be posted in a few minutes.

I will send out the PP requests after the final tallies are complete. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back